Sherman Tank Gallery

Jack

Not sure if this is the right place for this picture but here it is anyway !

Rob...............rnixartillery.

Well, that's an M10 with a difference!

Back to Shermans, I reckon it's an M4A3, still with it's wooden extra "armour".

29310852.jpg

Iwo Jima, I believe.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Ross,

You don't often see colour photos of Rams, any idea where they were taken?

The first photo shows a very early Ram nearest the camera. It has the air cleaners inside the engine bay rather than just under the overhang of the rear of the hull with extra plates welded in to protect them as the one on the left has. This later arangement was used on the vast majority of Rams but not on Shermans so is an easy recognition point. The Early Ram will have side doors but the later ones in the first photo have the welded on bumps on the side of the hull which are ventilators with fans behind them. Later these gave way to cast in bumps which are much more subtle and have an opening downwards at the bottom of the hull side. Eventually they gave up the fans but the cast in bumps remained to the end of Ram production. The turrets have rectangular plates on the back which enabled guns to be replaced through the rear of the turret. Also rectangular pistol ports on both sides, Later turrets had no plate on the back and round plugs each side identical to the ones in Churchull side doors.

The seccond photo is of two very early Rams that have been re manufactured under a program in Canada to upgrade the tanks that they were using for training. They have final type main gun, engine bay, interior stowage and fenders, and the side doors are fully welded up and the pistol ports in the doors plated over. I have never seen any reference to these rebuilt tanks in the UK so I suspect that this seccond photo was taken in Canada.

David

jee that sherman could be the same as mine , mine has T 149583 as number , also the little blocks instead of the strips you usally see for the sand skirts , and has also extra side armour , and also no additional front armour , any better pictures from the T number ? beatifull pictures.

Does the Sherman shown earlier (#311) have the centre and possibly rear side bracket for the skirts that were seen on some of the Vc in Normandy (at least it is photos on Vc that I have noticed them on)? I have not seen any images of the skirts fitted in practice, but a number of serving vehicles have the brackets welded on in period photos. It doesn't have the forward bracket fitted on either side. I hope the above makes sense, I have confused myself!

Edited by ajmac

• 3 weeks later...

What I was trying to get across was that the photos indicate the brackets used for the Houseboat camouflage system. :-D I would guess that the mounting point forward of that visible has been removed when the appliqué armour was added, it is only stitched at the bottom so I would say it was a field mod...did Sherman V ever get factory fitted appliqué armour? Perhaps when some went through the Chrysler refurb program before being shipped over the Britain they were factory modified....

Edited by ajmac

• 2 weeks later...

just popping down the garage luv, i took these shots on one of the many imps road runs from radnor park in folkstone, on this occaision rod cadman decided to join us with his sherman tank. near rod and rexs home they were building a new by_pass and rod passed his track laying licence on a cat d8, nearly at the end of the road run the sherman was decididly short of petrol so rod drove the tank straight onto the forecourt, the mayhem this caused was hilarious, the manager thought the tank was going to disappear below ground, but all went well and we continued on to the pub, hope of interest, tony g.

scan0015.jpg

scan0014.jpg

scan0016.jpg