M4A4 restoration

The finishing touches are of course all the stowage, markings and such. I enjoy making the vehicle as complete as possible and the challenge of finding all of the correct stowage items makes it an ongoing task.

The British Army published very comprehensive stowage charts and lists, what today would be known as CES. Finding these items 60 years on is interesting to say the least. Some things are almost impossible to find and I resorted to making them. Things like stowage bins and particularly the 4" bomb throwers on the side of the turret. These used a .303 balistite blank to project a smoke bomb and were fitted to early Shermans before the 2" bomb thrower became a standard fit in the turret.

bombthrowers.jpg

The stowage bins consisted of a turret bin for greatcoats and blankets, the rear bin for mainly track tools and the box for the 'First aid box, small'.

These were all copied from original boxes, except the turret bin which was partly interpolated from the existing mountings and partly from photographs.

ready1.jpg

There is a lot in a tank, some of which can be seen in the following pics. Since these were taken, I have managed to fill a few more of the obvious gaps. The 75mm rounds are all wooden projectiles in original cases. The total compliment is 97 rounds but not all are readily visible so I will restrict it to about 35.

driversfinished.jpg

gunnersfinished.jpg

wireless.jpg

As an illustration as to the difficulties of finding some parts, the Sherman has two 4lb extinguishers fitted internally. They are a distinctive Kidde design with a pistol grip and are very hard to find now, when you do, they can be very expensive. I found my first one in Australia and had to post it home as I couldn't get it on an aircraft and the second came from the USA via ebay. The seller woudn't post it out of the US so it had to go to my sister who then sent it DHL, the US post office refusing to send it!

Finally, she made her first rally, Debach 2004. Driving around the remaining perimeter tracks made all the hard work worthwhile.

debach.jpg

Adrian, I remember you in 2004 chasing me up the perimeter track in the Sherman while I was hanging out of the back of the car carrying my P-47 back from the runway. My driver didn't see you rapidly approaching and continued to plod along carefully so as not to damage the plane. I was hoping you were familiar with the controls!!!

Steve

Wasn't there also on the rear of the Sherman's , perhaps not all ? a box containing a phone hand set for infantry to talk with the tank crew , to direct them , while they stay button up while under fire ?

Not initially, it was an addition after the difficulties of communication in action came to be realised.

Mark, the tracks are original nos. When I bought them, in about 1992, they were easy to find, not so now! Nobody is currently making T51 flat rubber track afaik. Joop Stamen has commisioned some new T47 rubber chevron though I imagine it is a lot of money.

I am intending to put my Sherman on to steel chevron in time.

Rubber can do more harm than steel if it's warm. In theory, you would be liable to pay for any damage done but unless you do aggressive or neutral turns, tanks generally only seem to mark the road surface and it soon weathers away. On a hot day, rubber will grip the surface and tear it off.

Wasn't there also on the rear of the Sherman's , perhaps not all ? a box containing a phone hand set for infantry to talk with the tank crew , to direct them , while they stay button up while under fire ?

This is a pic of the one in the USMC Museum at Quantico. Once you've finished looking at the tank telephone, have a look at the front RH track. I found the exhibits in this newish museum to be just a little different - the curator here has put some thought/life into the displays.

Jack

3156042640_ba23f72e25.jpg

Edited by mazungumagic

Adrian,

Do you have any photos of the Cromwell listed in your signature? Is it currently in a similar condition to the Sherman when you first brought it home, or is it 'on the way' to being completed?

It would be nice to see a photo....

• 3 weeks later...

Have passed this link around (alot) and everyone I showed was amazed at the work that went into restoring the Sherman, I believe my best bits of your posts was the posts concerning the engine. Cannot wait to see what you can do with you final project.

Edited by JoelH

• 11 months later...
That was me Jack! A chap on the Allied group on Missing Lynx was asking for interior shots of M4A4, never one to hide in the shadows, I thought I would direct him here!

Extra mug of Cocoa for you tonight Adrian :)

Edited by Jack

i've also just read it all, :wow:

amazing work and huge congratulations on a beautiful job!

also, i know here in belgium at the tank museum they have a multibank sherman, and it runs, they brought it to "wings and wheels" show, at ursel airfield, last year.

thanks again.