M4A4 restoration

I'm new on here and have just looked through your blog.

I have rebuilt cars, and built race cars, and am about to start restoring a GPW Jeep. All I can think having read this is blog is Wow!!!!

I cannot believe the dedication, skill and grunt you've put into this. I mean....who else repairs a vehicles structure with 1 1/2" steel plate, and casually states, "I had to machine the top section to fit the hull".

I am gobsmacked!!!!!

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Something should be put down in some shape or form - digital or printed.

Back in 2004, Adrian's restoration was first published on http://www.geocities.com/sherman_sn5271/

Meanwhile geocities.com closed down, after which many site were migrated to geocities.ws

So for reference I post the link to Adrian's first restoration site: http://www.geocities.ws/sherman_sn5271/

Regards,

Hanno

• 1 month later...

pretty amazing:wow:,, and inspiring,, when i get in a RUT working on my armor,, i just re-read this thread... i have about 40+ dodges also,, and looking at how that mulitbank goes together is just mind boggling:cool2:

keep the thread alive!!! see you at the 70th ??? i'll be coming over from the USA, and hanging out with JAAP, who just stopped by my place a few days ago, from the MVPA national event!! :nut:

:beer:

jeff c

ohio, USA

future sherman owner:-X

• 7 months later...

Back left corner of the fighting compartment. It's precise position is dependent on the model of Sherman as M4A3 and M4A4 have the air cleaners close by which alters it's position very slightly.

It has electric start by exciting the windings, provided that there is some power in the vehicle batteries or you can rope start it if needed.

No cover, not particularly noisy but you weren't supposed to stay in the tank when it was running in case of exhaust leaks. Radial engine tanks duct the cooling air into the engine bay or fighting compartment to act as a heater. On other models, it just blows wherever!

I'm always finding new stuff on this site to drool over and Adrian your Sherman is a thing of beauty. I loved all those shots when the graft is over and and OD goes on. There's just something sexy about a fresh coat of green paint on a big ol tank!

Pete

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

This topic was the reason I got drawn to the HMVF forum because of the quality workmanship visible in the pictures and ultimately made me register. In fact your work has been of great importance to my scale 1/35 M4A3 build as the repaired sponson section on your M4A4 showed me exactly how thick the sponson plates needed to be in relation to the plate thickness of the lower hull section.