Insurance Woes

Hi all.

My annual insurance renewal for my military vehicles is due on the 29/03/12.

I have been insured with Footman James for years and been quite happy paying on average £150-£170 per year - until now.

I received a letter from them asking me to contact them in regard to my policy renewal. The letter stated -

"Due to a change in underwriting terms and conditions we are unable to offer a renewal quotation on the current basis."

I rang them and was asked if all my vehicles are ex-military? Yes I replied. Then asked if I had a limited mileage policy. No I replied.

They then put me on hold for around 5 minutes.

They came back to me, eventually" and said they could offer me a renewal - £310 for the year!

I said, I'm sorry but I don't quite understand why my renewal has shot through the roof all of a sudden.

The lady replied well you have an American vehicle that costs more to insure and you have a trailer which is classed as a flatbed lorry!

I tried to reason with her saying the American truck is a WWII wrecker that does maybe 150 miles a year at most, a 55 Tonne Chieftain ARRV that will cover at most 20 miles off road a year and the Love trailer is not a flatbed trailer but a living trailer that can not carry a load.

However, I didn't matter what I said the price was £310 per year.

Now to state that I am very pee'd off I a massive understatement.

I have tried a few more places but they want to insure each vehicle on a single policy. This is obviously working out at a ridicules cost.

I have informed Footman James I shall not be renewing with them - I'm beginning to wonder if this is the beginning of the end in regard to fair insurance costs for our hobby.

Be aware if you are renewing with Footman James - you may be in for a shock.

Can anyone recommend an insurance company that covers a group of military vehicles for a fair price.

Markheliops

Will follow this this week with intrest as going to contact them regarding my restoration Landi and another show matter. My every day use Air portable/sanky and attending events and get me home recovery for vehicle and trailer is with the NFU for just over £200 after much haggling this last week, which all in all I thought not a bad deal (Includes traveling to work)

Insurance seems to rest on who you happen to talk to at the company at the time. I've had nightmares over the last year with two diffrent companies, one of which I don't even HAVE insirance with! DO check , and I will now ask for written conformation, that the vehicle has been enetered onto the Vehicle Insurance Database. If the company dosen't, and they are the only ones that can, you are liable for an £80 fine!

Yes Gents! But after 6 months and not there? Plus when did the Goverment ever make public that vehicles have to be on there? Or that the REGISTERED KEEPER is liable for an £80 fine? And you can nothing about it! I was and still am deeply unimpressed, and will be changing insurance companies.

Yes Gents! But after 6 months and not there? Plus when did the Goverment ever make public that vehicles have to be on there? Or that the REGISTERED KEEPER is liable for an £80 fine? And you can nothing about it! I was and still am deeply unimpressed, and will be changing insurance companies.

There is nothing good about any of that, especially the £80 fine which is outrageous ! :(

Edited by Vulture
Spelling

Had no problems with FJ, fully comp on the jeep for £50, no mileage issues, insured for £14k. Maybe worth trying NFU. Did you mention you were a member of the MVT to get your discount?

It's the same over here , if member from BMVT , you'll pay 76 € / vehicle , with breakdown assistance , a fair price I assume !

Hi all.

My annual insurance renewal for my military vehicles is due on the 29/03/12.

I have been insured with Footman James for years and been quite happy paying on average £150-£170 per year - until now.

I received a letter from them asking me to contact them in regard to my policy renewal. The letter stated -

"Due to a change in underwriting terms and conditions we are unable to offer a renewal quotation on the current basis."

I rang them and was asked if all my vehicles are ex-military? Yes I replied. Then asked if I had a limited mileage policy. No I replied.

They then put me on hold for around 5 minutes.

They came back to me, eventually" and said they could offer me a renewal - £310 for the year!

I said, I'm sorry but I don't quite understand why my renewal has shot through the roof all of a sudden.

The lady replied well you have an American vehicle that costs more to insure and you have a trailer which is classed as a flatbed lorry!

I tried to reason with her saying the American truck is a WWII wrecker that does maybe 150 miles a year at most, a 55 Tonne Chieftain ARRV that will cover at most 20 miles off road a year and the Love trailer is not a flatbed trailer but a living trailer that can not carry a load.

However, I didn't matter what I said the price was £310 per year.

Now to state that I am very pee'd off I a massive understatement.

I have tried a few more places but they want to insure each vehicle on a single policy. This is obviously working out at a ridicules cost.

I have informed Footman James I shall not be renewing with them - I'm beginning to wonder if this is the beginning of the end in regard to fair insurance costs for our hobby.

Be aware if you are renewing with Footman James - you may be in for a shock.

Can anyone recommend an insurance company that covers a group of military vehicles for a fair price.

Markheliops

Evening Mark,

I have the whole fleet insured with AdrianFlux after getting no sense out of Premium choice 3 years ago who I had been with for 27 years one way or another (A C Miles originally). They are easy to deal with and very reasonable on price.

John .

my premium (with footman james) also shot up this year by about £150! but then so did my car insurance by about the same amount, both companies told me that the premiums have increased due to so many of these no win no fee claims for whiplash etc

think i will shop around for my mv insurance next year.

Must admit mark, I don't think thats a bad price.

Ay up Rambo.

On the face of it - it probably doesn't sound too bad but then again:

I have been insured with F&J for many years and pay between £150-170 a year. I even had around 6 vehicles at one time.

Look at my vehicles now.

The Chieftain ARRV - can not go on the road and will do around 25 miles a year at Beltring.

The Ward la France M1A1 - probably visits a couple of shows a year with a maximum 100 miles per year.

The love trailer that they won't even insure for theft - just accident risk.

If I had a Jeep or Landie and done around 500 miles a year the cost would be acceptable but it's a lot of money for what I am doing.

I can't get it down with a restricted mileage quote which would help.

So really I think £310 is a lot of money - maybe it's just the way it's going.

Markheliops

Do 'Carol Nash' do military vehicle insurance? I have had my 'fleet' of motorcycles (well 4 really) with her for many years. I do know they have changed ownership but there are still best for bike insurance, classic and modern(ish).

Do 'Carol Nash' do military vehicle insurance? I have had my 'fleet' of motorcycles (well 4 really) with her for many years. I do know they have changed ownership but there are still best for bike insurance, classic and modern(ish).

I have tried Carol Nash - they will only insure me if the vehicles are kept at home -

I'm sure the neighbours would love the Chieftain ARRV and Ward parked outside!

Had no problems with FJ, fully comp on the jeep for £50, no mileage issues, insured for £14k. Maybe worth trying NFU. Did you mention you were a member of the MVT to get your discount?

I can't work this out.

I have been in contact with Footman James again to enquire about insuring the Ward La France only.

£152............ Apparently this is only to insure the Ward at a market value of £8500. When I said I want to insure the Ward for £10k they said the premiums are calculated on a value basis and will go up per £1k of value -

I did mention Jeeps are being insured for £50 but they said that's impossible as they don't provide policies for that amount.

How can a Jeep valued at around £14-16K which is relatively easy to pinch compared to a Ward be insured for only £50 with unlimited mileage whilst a larger vehicle, less easy to steal and doing far less mileage by 3 times more expensive.

Not fair I think.