Reporting LIVE from the W&P Show 2011

Marmite!!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did'nt see withams this year. Anyone know why?

Must admit, I don't blame people for booking in ghost vehciles, as the cost for public camping is very expensive, IMO.

Caravans?, well I do understand why people take caravans, comfort, warmth, etc etc, but they should cover them, avis was selling 12x12 tent middles for £20 this year, easy enough to cover a caravan.

Maybe civvie tents/caravans should be allocated to a seperate field?

There was no Withams this year as they are in the process of renewing there contract with the M.O.D.

Splendid time had by all this year, lots of lovley kit to goggle at.Very pleased to meet fellow forum members Steffano and Glyn. ( next time glyn when some loop runs up dressed in desert kit remember your actual name is not Early War British ) Yes i still want your truck ! Only glitch on the week was i left the fuel tap on and everything evaporated from the auto vac .........DOH! Well done to andy on the replica MK3 Marmon..................whilst not everyone may be in agreement with replicating vehicles where do you get a Mk3 from?? Regards Tim

Tim i have to agree with that although a replica, it was certainly nice to see and he deserves a well done. At the end of the day a lot of the Dinkys and wolfs are replicas too so its nice to see that someone has taken the time and effort to make one and display it.

Crack on, good show.

Ollie

Really enjoyed the show I had no intention of attending this year but did as it helped another forum member Rick (eddy8men) get his carrier to the show. He was going anyway come what may even if he had to use his van as a tow vehicle.

Six plus hours to get down to the show arrived at 04:30 Thursday morning tried to get my head down couldn't ended up staying awake for 24 hours which I'm still feeling the results of now. The four days that we attended just wasn't long enough it it passed so quickly had a ride round the arena in a Landrover 90 bouncy but fun. Also enjoyed the ride in the Turret of John Pearsons Valentine big smiles :D:D:D

Also had a drive of Ricks Bren Carrier great fun managed to stall it on the entrance to the overflow field thanks to the guy with the Dingo who towed the carrier out of the way.

I was the guy in the Dingo who towed Ricks carrier out the way for him, I was driving John Pearsons Dingo at the time anyway thanks for the comment above, I hope you got back in the carrier for the rest of the drive when rick got it running again.

Big Al

AKA Alec

thanks for the tow big al, stalling with a flat battery at the entrance to the bridge was not making us any new freinds, your timing was impeccable. we got it jump started easily enough with andy's rb 44 so no great drama's. see you next year (i'll have the tow rope ready again)

cheers

rick

ps. mark i have no idea what the little tracked vehicle was but it looked like fun to drive

Got home a few hours ago and am now feeling totally shattered... I think my bruises have bruises and joints are going on strike!

Neil,

after seeing you in the Arena on Friday (or was it Thursday?), I am not surprised...you definately had the pedal to the metal :)

Pulling doughnuts in the OT was a real crowd pleaser :)

Neil,

after seeing you in the Arena on Friday (or was it Thursday?), I am not surprised...you definately had the pedal to the metal :)

Pulling doughnuts in the OT was a real crowd pleaser :)

Thanks for the kind words sir! One day I'll get into 5th gear - then she really flies..... :D:D

ll reporting not so live from W&P!

I went up to say hello and to catch up with everyone and had one hell of a time. It was nice to see it as a MOP and to be able to do what I wanted when I wanted but really didn't get that far as I just had to much fun catching up with everone.

So stopped off at Normandy 44 camp (small town) and had coffee and was looked after by those guys and it was nice to see one of our big squad tents up! I wanted to get over to see Lee so Tony offered to drive me over and Keith came along for the ride too. He wasn't in the Jeep long as he had a 'date' with a young lady - didn't ask any questions....

009-1.jpg

007-2.jpg

Got to Lees - HMVF HQ but couldn't find him. However there were some people from the local fashion show and a male stripper hanging around outside - I asked them if Lee was around and they said no they haven't seen him. I explained that he is usually seen wearing DPM's but again they didn't know what I was talking about

010-2.jpg

Then I could hear the infamous Chrisg so made my where over there to get insulted by him, Vince, TootallMike and Tugger - it wouldn't be right if they were being polite now would it! And there was the beauty - the Autocar - not Chris.

011-1.jpg

Then over to Jims for a cider and more insults. Jim seemed confused as to why W&P laid on 40 taxis for the Vets - he couldn't understand why as at W&P there are no animals.....gave up the will to live at that point

021-2.jpg

By this time it was getting late afternoon and I had to get to a meeting with our Dutch dealer JP but that ended up with a beer or two too.

013-1.jpg

I was on a mission to see if I could find our old Jimmy and after looking in the last field I found her. I sat there for an hour to wait to see if Gary came back but he didn't but as I was ready to leave I saw Snapper driving by! So caught up with him and his family members and he gave me a lift back to the main show.

027-1.jpg

034-1.jpg

I wanted to get to see Heliops so went to see him and Naughty Nurse but Mark wasn't there so was going to have a beer with Debs and then Adrian was driving by with his M10 and I wanted to say to goodbye to him. But it didn't quite work like that! He said - want to come for a ride? I said I am just going to have a beer with Mark but Adrian said that we wouldn't be long so I waved good bye to Debs saying that I will be back in a bit.

3 hours later........

We had driven right around the W&P show ground and also played in the arena. But then Adrain ask if I wanted to drive his M10 :shocked: bearing in mind I have never even sat in a drivers seat of a tank let alone drive one and to drive one that has just come out of restoration so I of course said NO - I was slighty nervous but then I have driven a Man Trucks so thought it can't be that hard :coffee:

Have to tell you I was so excited and pleased to of been asked that I couldn't really so no so I jumped into the drivers seat and under the excellent direction of Adrian off we went in a straight line as thats all I wanted to do as I the arena was busy and didn't want to bust Adrians tank. After my staright line drive and I was ready to jump out, Adrian said ' go on Jack, take it around the arena' so I damn well did!!!

Have to tell you that it was mind blowing and scary at the same time - it is one hell of a piece of kit and how the hell 'boys' drove them during the war I don't know but it was such a thrill to me and honoured to be allowed to drive it. The restoration is out of this world and Adrian and his co driver drove it like it was a sports car!

So this was an amazing end to a wonderful day and I haven't stopped talking about it since. Thank you Adrian.

252026_257908684219659_100000015894725_1066616_5287171_n.jpg

050-1.jpg

055-2.jpg

057.jpg

Edited by Jack

....Then over to Jims for a cider and more insults. Jim seemed confused as to why W&P laid on 40 taxis for the Vets - he couldn't understand why as at W&P there are no animals.....gave up the will to live at that point....

Well not strictly true - at one point on Thursday or Friday a man' truck (GMC) was to be seen driving around with a load of Land Girls and a Friesian cow in the back :readpaper:

Someone please post a photo or Jack's going to think I'm loopy.

Well not strictly true - at one point on Thursday or Friday a man' truck (GMC) was to be seen driving around with a load of Land Girls and a Friesian cow in the back :readpaper:

Someone please post a photo or Jack's going to think I'm loopy.

I saw that as well NOS on the Thursday, although I didn't get a photo of it!

Then I could hear the infamous Chrisg so made my where over there to get insulted by him, Vince, TootallMike and Tugger - it wouldn't be right if they were being polite now would it! And there was the beauty - the Autocar - not Chris.

Did i offer you a piece of mrs g cake?