Warcop range wrecks

eddy8men

hi fella's just a few pics i found of 6 churchills and an m10 achilles on warcop range in cumbria.Pretty bashed up i'm afraid.what i would call beyond economic repair,but there may be a brave soul out there that might want to take on a "fixer upper".All the best eddy

p.s. thre's more pics,if anyone would like to see them just let me know.

jacks pics and tanks 003.jpg

jacks pics and tanks 011.jpg

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eddy8men

Probably to get more on one post you need to size the photos to 50kb Jpeg, although <250kb Jpeg are very nice for detail:)

Nice well wrecked Churchills most very early -one with applique hull and a remarkably flat floor plate

Here's a photo from when tank gunnery was everyday a battered T55 with another wreck in front anyone like to hazzard a guess?

Rick W I've never heard of Warcop before. Is it still in use? Are the wrecks viewable from a road/track?

It's off the A66 at appelby in cumbria, High lane which run through the site from A66 to hilton village used to be open to the public but the Range authoritites had the rights of way curtailed about 1999, the road to see the churchill is in the area closed to traffic, so its one of the places were permission is required.

warcop 92.jpg

Steve

warcop 92.jpg

Edited by steveo578
answer question

I remember in the late 80's early 90's when I was with D Sqn QOY we went to Warcop for an Annual Firing session with our CVR(T)/(W). We still had 2 Mk1 Ferrets in the Sqn, 1 for the SSM and 1 for the LO, these were replaced with Spartans. This particular w/e we were told to drive the Ferrets onto the range at Charlie High at about 800-1,000m from the firing point, load them with fuel and spare cans and leave them there. We then used them as targets for a sqn combined shoot with the Rardens and GPMG's, it was fun at the time, but it makes me weep now at the waste.

I remember in the late 80's early 90's when I was with D Sqn QOY we went to Warcop for an Annual Firing session with our CVR(T)/(W). We still had 2 Mk1 Ferrets in the Sqn, 1 for the SSM and 1 for the LO, these were replaced with Spartans. This particular w/e we were told to drive the Ferrets onto the range at Charlie High at about 800-1,000m from the firing point, load them with fuel and spare cans and leave them there. We then used them as targets for a sqn combined shoot with the Rardens and GPMG's, it was fun at the time, but it makes me weep now at the waste.

I rember doing that as well with the ferrets that we had. we used them for the night shoot. they put a tilley lamp in them so they stood out at night. but one of our sqn "forgot" this gun was pointing up and tryed to shoot the moon :rofl:

Shame we you think back of all the hard targets on the range we use to fire at. Rember having a sqn shoot at a cheftain all guns firing auto at one hard at the same time we even managed to move the hard target with the fire power.

Edited by cpltomo
added more detail

Some photos of M10s on Warcop, these 2 M10s were on high ground to the east of November ridge, but I am sure they have gone. The rear view of the turreted photo shows that the motor unit was removed in a similar way to that used in scrap yards on M10s.

At the time these photos were taken the M10 were being pulled down range and some at lest were used on the tank gunnery ranges. As shown in the photo with one in front of a Chieftain.

Steve

17pdr M10.jpg

turretless M10.jpg

M10 and Chieftain.jpg

17pdr M10.jpg

turretless M10.jpg

M10 and Chieftain.jpg

Edited by steveo578
gramar

Johnguppy

Can anyone just walk on and help themselves !!!

Is this a joke :shocked: I know I had a sense of humour bypass some years ago but:nono:. I've only posted what was up there some years ago as they might be of interest. As I said in my previous post these wrecks were at that time being dragged off the high range, the odd piece of tank may still exist like the front end of one of the M10s (shown in Eddy's post) but it and the churchills are little more than sheep rubbing post, for example the upside down Churchill, which has been in that position for about 20 years has hardly an intact bogie. The M10 might give up a sharp nose housing but even this has taken a hit by what looks like a HESH shell and this would almost certainly be game over for the drive train beneath. the other more intact M10s were probably brought down and shot out or scrapped.

As to obtaining stuff from ranges, it like anything without obtaining permission and or change of ownership it would be theft, even in these depressed time metal has a scrap value.

Anyway enjoy a few more old photos;-

1)the turreted M10c from the front with the turretless M10c behind it.

2)FV432 and Saracen

3) the back end of a Conqueror ARV 1 which prior to 1992 was on its side with it floor plates facing the firing point, it certainly looked like it had taken many hits from 30mm cannon

4) From the side window of the car a partially destroyed T34/85

5) For Cpltomo and Bazz a Ferret 4 in general firing area.

All vehicles to my knowledge have been scrapped and the area where the

Conqueror 432 Saracen and T34 had been is now a shooting range.

If anyone has any other photos especially of the M4A1 Grizzlies put out about 1985 and any pictures of chuchill before they were beheaded I would be very interested:):)

Steve

17pdr M10-2.jpg

FV432 and Saracen.jpg

conqueror arv 1.jpg

t34.jpg

00EC92.jpg

17pdr M10-2.jpg

FV432 and Saracen.jpg

conqueror arv 1.jpg

t34.jpg

00EC92.jpg

Edited by steveo578
spelling

Hi Steve,

Sorry that was the only photo i got, I could see a few other`s in the distance but only had a basic camera with me. They were taken from the small B road running from Warcop up to Hilton that cuts through the edge of the range and is closed during exercises ect.

Anything less than an armoured vehicles lasts half an hour on a range. The cost of replacing targets everyday would far outweigh any perceived benefit.

Bear in mind the MOD purchased several Sherman Grizzlies from Ian MacGregor for use as targets in the 1980s. I assume he had failed to sell them privately beforehand.

As regards the Churchills i can remember seeing them before they were towed out onto the range (that was in the days when it was pretty much open acess to the ranges and a Sunday ride out in the car to the ranges was considered a treat in our house)

The year would be about 1970 and from memory they were bridgelayers with the one piece bridge probably Churchills IV. They were complete with the bridge. I also seem to think there was a Valentine but it was a long time ago and memory may be playing tricks!!!

I can also remember going to some form of "open day" again it must have been late 60's early 70's and it was the first time I ever saw a Stollie!!!

The only one I had seen before was the Matchbox Shell liveried version or pictures in books. The over riding impression was that it wasnt as big as I thought.

At the same day live firing of Chieftain took place.........no H&S in those days.

We lived about 15 miles as the crow flies from the ranges and when live firing took place you could hear it quite clearly!!!

Everything goes full circle as they say and my brother now lives in Warcop village.

A bit later in the cadet force we used Warcop for excercises and the brief always included a warning not to pick anything up from the raqnges as it may still be live..........again H&S taking a low profile.

No big guns fire there now, however still plenty of noise when Rarden or chain guns are fired.

If only I had a camera in those days!!!!

I did my Crewman Gunner Scorpion B3 Live Firing at Warcop in February 1976. My first shoot was at slow speed because the instructor wanted to get us all familiar with the noise, recoil, etc.

He brought me onto his chosen target and asked what I could see. "Looks to me for all the world like a Tiger 1 turret on its side." "Yes, that's what we are going to engage."

However, he assured us that at the time most of the targets were 6' by 4' by 6" rectangles of steel armour plate removed from the carrier Ark Royal (either following an upgrade or a decommissioning).