eddy8men

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob grundy

what you are calling Churchill Ridge

Hi Bob

As I don't have a range map I'm just using "the churchill ridge" as a short hand to orientate what we are talking about, certainly wouldn't want to call it after that annoying insurance dog!:cheesy:

I know the main tank range was N November ridge, because it had a big wooden N at one end, the only others I know are X -to the south of N Ridge and Y? to the north of N ridge (near the wood to the east of right of way from Moor house) at least I think it was Y it had been knocked about by a shell or three.

The Churchill 4 seems to have a 17* in blue on the back it probably isn't a brigade number as it's on the wrong side. Your photos show that almost all of these Churchills were gun tanks as opposed to the Bridglayers mentioned earlier in the thread that probably went straight onto the main tank ridges.

steve

another pic from from sunny warcop showing the mk4 which is 500m due north from the 5 churchill wrecks on the hill this is without a doubt the best of the bunch when it comes to a possible restoration project and i'm sure someone will pull it off the hill one day,well i hope so anyway, it would be nice to see another churchill restored.

all the best eddy

003.jpg

It could help if the 9mm is on its last energy.

A WW2 veteran I know went home for rest. His mother unpacked his small pack and found a bullit in his messtin, he never noticed it.

I found a few 'Unusual things' in MY messtin after one of the cooks had filled them!........:cool2:

Dare I ask what it was? :-X

Great pic of an early M10 very similar to the one shown in Adrian Barrells recent restoration thread, same vee style turret complete add on armour bolts, but fitted with a rounded final drive possibly this is where it was in 1992. It left a piece of track behind when it was pulled off, there was also a section of right side plate complete with the aerial socket nearbye.

Steve

track 48.jpg

track 48.jpg

• 2 months later...

it would have been nice to be there in the eighties and nineties as access seems to have been more relaxed than these days, i spoke to the commandant for the training areas around catterick about getting access in november last year and to say he was not keen would have been an understatement, maybe i caught him on a bad day, anyway he left me in no doubt as to the outcome of any future requests, but i'll keep plugging away these vehicles are part of our armoured heritage, our fathers and grandfathers fought in these very same vehicles and i believe it's our duty to preserve them.

eddy

Edited by eddy8men

eddy8men

........ our fathers and grandfathers fought in these very same vehicles and i believe it's our duty to preserve them.

eddy

Hi Eddy if you could restore/prserve the Cent shown in post #88 22-04-10 I'd be mega impressed;).

The Catterick bods are far more interested in preserving ancient hedge rows on Feldom at the moment to bother with sorting out the problem of no longer active targets despite the fact that by failing to remove redundant targets imperil the very SSIs that presently they are fixated.

Steve

eddy8men

...........this is from the achilles shown on the first page

I looked at this one in 1992,- there was some demand for an intact idle at that time practically everything on it had been bent by A/P and HESH rounds, the idler was seized solid and I suspect the bogie was distorted by hits which split the lower hull just forward of the bogie. Apart from that it was pulled down from high ground and abandoned in bogy ground. The other two M10s further east weren't any better, but its a miracle they lasted so long.

I see Warcops weather is true to form:-D

Steve

hi steve

just another sunny day in cumbria :-) you were right when you said the achilles was pretty much trashed and not so surprising when you consider how long it's been on that hill.i did actually try to move the idler but like you said it was solid but if that's the only idler around then you'd have to mend and make do i suppose, i know i'd have it if they let me but then i'd have anything if it was free, (it's the skip rat within me), i'm the type of guy that leaves a tip with more gear than i came in with :D

all the best

eddy

Edited by eddy8men

Hi Guys.

Well I am new to the forum and this is my first posting, I am ex 1RTR and in 1971 we were up at Warcop with Chieftain Mk2, we were on the firing point, (I cant remember which one as memory dims with time) but on the hillside there was a Conqueror MBT, I cant remember the exact date but I do remember all firing had to cease because Princess Anne was going to fly over the range in a helicopter, (wonder if any of you other guys were there on that day) well we got the go ahead to fire again, I remember laying on with the fire orders and the target was a Conqueror, we had loaded with HESH, (I would never do this again if I tried) I snapped out "Firing Now" and squoze the trigger, I watched the HESH round arc through the air and watched it go straight into the Commanders Cupola it looked as though it went straight in without touching the sides, well thats how it looked through my scope, I have always remembered the Conq, wonder whats left of it now, I remeber it was about 11 oclock from the firing point, another thing I remember is a little hut, and a hardboard tank would wobble across from right to left towards this little hut, obviously it was on a chain or something, another thing that comes to light was, we had to do guard duty that night and we couldnt put out green maggot out because of sheep crap, there was not one square foot that was free, so we laid out for the night on top of a small brick hut, I think it was a point ammo compound, If anybody else remembers these points, would love to hear from you.

Best Wishes to all

tankie:-)

tankie1rtr

I have always remembered the Conq, wonder whats left of it now, I remeber it was about 11 oclock from the firing point, another thing I remember is a little hut, and a hardboard tank would wobble across from right to left towards this little hut, obviously it was on a chain or something,

Hi Tankie1rtr

Depends which firing point -there are/were several mobile target ranges on Warcop and there could be still remains of a conq. on the range and probably are still small bits/unidentified hull remains around just as there are still the remains of line of Churchills in the middle of the site, anywhere reasonably accessable was regularly cleared of scrap and most of the active heavy targets are Chieftains.

Back in 1992 the only Conqueror I saw was the very badly knocked about Conqueror ARV Mk1 (shown in earlier posts) which was in the vicinity of the rifle ranges on the west of the site near high Lane (the semi-public road between the A66 and Hylton), it was a long stop for 30mm A/P Scimitar firing from positions south of the lane. About a year prior to it had been set up on its side with it floor plates as a large target, by 2000 it had been cleared away.

Steve