W&P Beltring, for those who are not going!

Adam Elsdon

So how much does it cost to camp there, show/exhibit a vehicle etc? It seems there are different tariffs and are you offered them on booking or is it more expensive the closer you get to the event?

Whatever happened to those excellent car trains that used to run from north/Scotland to deep south ports etc? Now there's an opportunity for Mr Branson and Virgin to offer this service for big vehicle shows with collection stops up and down the country. Or does anyone own an ex MOD troop train and flatbed carriages who could apply to run them on a rail operators/goods service lines? I remember some good times on the troop trains taking days to get places being shunted up and down into sidings to let higher priority trains pass- party time all the way lol

Gary

train.jpg

Edited by gazzaw

So how much does it cost to camp there, show/exhibit a vehicle etc? It seems there are different tariffs and are you offered them on booking or is it more expensive the closer you get to the event?

MV's £25 includes 2adult & 2 child passes (£50 if you book in after deadline).. free if you have been a member of IMPS for over 2 years..

Camping..

http://www.warandpeaceshow.co.uk/Show-Information/2008-Show/Campers.html

Thanks for that, never been but would love to go -if it is on next year might try and get some of our vehicles down but would need to transport them or it would take another 2 weeks to get there and back at 40mph, and a fuel tanker to follow us + mortgage broker to pay for it lol.

Gary

also free if your a member of a reenacting group with a display

Mark

I should be okay then, I can reenact the antics of a soldier with a bottle of Calvados in Normandy in 1944.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I should be okay then, I can reenact the antics of a soldier with a bottle of Calvados in Normandy in 1944.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Three swigs and flat out? :iloveyou: I musty say our hosts, and most of the population of Ver Sur Mer were veeery genourous with the areas prize product.

In 2007 I took an artic load of vehicles down to W & P for Nigel W. for the launch of his Carrier book. The fuel cost alone was £800!

Cost me that this year to get the OT from Braintree in Essex to the show & back. Plus the over-width tolls for the tunnel on the return leg. If those mother-<censoreds> at VOSA/DVLA had registered the OT the cost would have been around £200 all in (including the £80 worth of diesel used for running around the arena)

If i drive south for 3-4 hours i am still in Scotland!

Here we go, just AA Route planned it: 627.6 miles 11 hr 22 min and thats in a car! in the Humber Pig if it went continuously, no problems (yeh right!) averaged 30 MPH and had the fuel, it would take nearly 22 hours, using 69.73 Gallons of fuel (At an optimistic 9 MPG) or 317.27 ltrs and a sleep deprived driver whacked out on two crates of Red Bull and thats just one way!!

Strangely i dont think my Pig will be featuring at W&P anytime soon!

Way back in the Seventies (before all the H&S crap kicked in) my RCT (VR) squadron was tasked with moving a number of Militants down from Stirling Castle to Tidworth. Powers-that-be decided it would be a good deployment exercise so decreed it had to be done non-stop. As usual muggins drew the short staw and got the co-driver with no HGV-2 license.

Total journey time was 15 hours - a distance of around 410 miles.

Got out at Tidworth, collected my kit, staggered (literally) over to the allocated barrack block and slept the clock round. It was never done again......

It is a brilliant show and I have missed going down for the day this year as have been to the last two following a couple of years break before that.

Like it has been said though something a bit further north would be nice, but shows the size of W+P don't appear over night. Perhaps one day Wartime in the Vale will be just as big (according to what I have heard how good it was), who knows.

I would have liked to have attended the new IMPS show but again its even further into Kent than W+P. But then if these shows were all up north then people down south would be having the same conversation.:sweat::shake::-D

I can see where out Scottish members are coming from though!!

I guess one problem is finding a site big enough to accommodate everything - including the arena. Friday saw people driving around hunting for space to set up camp for the weekend. Is there such a large location nearer the North???

Catterick, Otterburn or Thetford Trg areas or one of the large US airbases lol

What are the chances of the MoD allowing those to be used for s show like W&P?? :):):)

Catterick or Otterburn might be good for the Northern lads and lasses whilst Thetford would be good for the European contingent coming in via Harwich.

I guess one problem is finding a site big enough to accommodate everything - including the arena. Friday saw people driving around hunting for space to set up camp for the weekend. Is there such a large location nearer the North???

Very true as there isn't another site like it except for Dorset. But shows don't start on such a big a scale as W&P so at the beginning that wouldn't be a problem. It would need to be based at some kind of showground, but I doubt they would appreciate there grounds becoming churned up :-D

Never been to War and Peace so can't appreciate the scale of the event, but plenty of sites up North I can think of as suitable for a large event.

Manby show ground near Louth, Lincolnshire used to host the wheels event years ago and steam rallies still had plenty of room for expansion.

Flookburgh airfield near Cark, Cumbria. I was there for the second year running and this large airfield was no-where near full for a large mixed event so should cope with several hundred MV's no problem.

Plenty of hard standing at both sites as they're ex airfields. A reasonable off roading area at Manby too.

Think people are forgetting that it took 27 years for W&P to get where it is today. It's just not a question of finding a lump of land & hoping thousands of Mv's, traders & public turn up.. the W&P show is 365 days year business.. just pop into the W&P office anytime & you'll see that.. set up, break down & clear up of the show is about 5 weeks...

Think people are forgetting that it took 27 years for W&P to get where it is today. It's just not a question of finding a lump of land & hoping thousands of Mv's, traders & public turn up.. the W&P show is 365 days year business.. just pop into the W&P office anytime & you'll see that.. set up, break down & clear up of the show is about 5 weeks...

My point exactly. As at the beginning no-one really knows how big shows are going to get so the room up North somewhere wouldn't be a problem at first.

Maybe a bit more support for the Wings and Wheels at Elvington might allow the organisers enough budget to go outside the museum land and onto the airfield? It is a show that seems to be getting bigger every year. I know the airfield is a separate concern and there would be issues there but who knows? If Elvington airfield is big enough to accomodate Jeremy Clarksons ego I'm sure there is enough space for a few hundred vehicles :)

I think one of the reasons the Hop Farm works well is that with the different fields, trees, woods and river it has the feel of being camped in the country.

I don't particularly enjoy spending too long on flat windy airfields and the like, or on concrete, not very cosy.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
I think one of the reasons the Hop Farm works well is that with the different fields, trees, woods and river it has the feel of being camped in the country.

I don't particularly enjoy spending too long on flat windy airfields and the like, or on concrete, not very cosy.

Nor me,thats why giving Kemble a miss this year.

I think Adams' original point has been missed, all the nominations of sites "up north" are still a long way south for some of us. If I go to visit my parents in Cheltenham the halfway point is Carlisle. What we could do with is a good event somewhere between Edinburgh and Glasgow, it would still be about 4 hours for us but it would be manageble.

That said. I have driven all over the place in a Gipsy and have done Dorset (600 miles) on several occasions and my mate in Dorset has driven a Gipsy up here a few times. David, who has the Albion CX22 up here, drove it to Dorset Steam Fair a few years back, I believe it took three and a half days each way.

The show at BA Stores is promising, this year was the 6th event, there is loads of room for expansion. If there was demand we could probably organise a Military Show on the site, although I personally like the feel of a mixed show much better than a sea of green things.