Testing new tracks on a Sherman

Joris

Is it just faster because of the reduced weight of metal tracks, or is there less 'rolling' resistance too?

Looks pretty quick! Seems to be doing 60 (I assume kph in Holland) so what, nearly 40mph? :shocked:

Stone

It sounds like GM 6-71 diesel twin pack :confused:

Indeed, this Sherman has been fitted with a the GM 6046, the twin power pack version of the 6-71. As this type of engine is still in production, the owner has fitted modern injectors, which give a better fuel burn and thus power.

H.

It seems he missed the stop sign at 6:56 . While the new tracks seem to handle the higher speeds permitted by both the lighter tacks and the bigger engines , what of all the bearings in the drive line road wheels and return rollers , how long could you drive a sherman at what spped before you would need to let it cool down or regrease things ?

To get 38 mph out of a Sherman, you have to run the propshaft at over 4200 rpm..... I would be concerned at that speed. It's not just more power from the later injectors, he must be running higher revs. The 6046 engine pack does gear up the output speed compared to the crankshaft speed but even so!

When the tanks were new, it was not recommended to run them at more than 20 mph for sustained periods because the roadwheel tyres were apt to fly off the rims!

Looked impressive though!

It seems he missed the stop sign at 6:56 . QUOTE]

No problem...

Looks like it was filmed on a military base. They recreated roads and such for trainee drivers.

Guess they had permission and empty roads for this.

When the tanks were new, it was not recommended to run them at more than 20 mph for sustained periods because the roadwheel tyres were apt to fly off the rims!

Very true this happened last weekend after a road run back from a local carnival.

shermantyre002.jpg

shermantyre001.jpg

Jim.

Hi ABN, you are right the rubber is lifting and there are one or two more that are the same.When I restored the Sherman it was on a limited budget so I had to use wheels that were not in the best condition. Since June 2004 I have had three tyres come off but I have collected a stack of NOS tyres and spare wheels so I just run them until they need changing.

The tracks are just about worn out now, I think after "Tanks in Town" I will have to replace them aswell.

Jim.

Understand completely , You do what you can when you can . Many of Us are in the same position tiring to enjoy our vehicles on limited budgets while looking for limited good used parts or the increasingly rare N.O.S. ones .

• 3 weeks later...

hello people this i am the owner of this sherman

i have build the gm twinset into the sherman with modern injectors.

the engine is turning 3000 rpm and i have never had problems with it

he can make 70 km-h and the engines are running about 15 years in this sherman

never had problems with them regards