Spotted today....

Richard Farrant

A bit of an easy spot after my son messaged me to say look what I collected today, I dropped by to help unload it.... when I say helped, I stood around with my hands in my pockets while the people who knew what they were doing unloaded it.

So air portable combat engineer tractor, pretty much complete, including swimming gear, but a non-runner at present.

collected.jpg

Delivered 02.jpg

Delivered01.jpg

Edited by rog8811
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

CMP Chev 15cwt? spotted on recovery truck going Eastbound on A31 between Winchester and A272 junction at about 1800 today.  Hope not too ill and that it gets well soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2024 at 7:15 AM, rog8811 said:

A bit of an easy spot after my son messaged me to say look what I collected today, I dropped by to help unload it.... when I say helped, I stood around with my hands in my pockets while the people who knew what they were doing unloaded it.

So air portable combat engineer tractor, pretty much complete, including swimming gear, but a non-runner at present.

collected.jpg

Delivered 02.jpg

Delivered01.jpg

Very helpful bit of kit.  I hope the gearbox is in good order . . .  Re: the images below, I don't know where the swimming photo was taken; but 'digging' (shortly to be followed by involuntary swimming, no doubt) was the Falklands.

432232461_770672055156652_6930551026411973317_n.jpg

cet.jpg

• Like 4

The swimming photo is potentially of one of the prototype vehicles - no prominent intake/exhaust stack or the large bin on the "front" of radiator pack.... (the box above the number plate in the second photo)

The swim location might be MEXE Christchurch or possibly the Chatham area??? Definitely not Instow.

The second photo has been reversed some how - normally the big bin is on the right side as you look at the bucket....

The swim gear comprising ducted fans and the steering clam shells are generally left in situ but the two prop shafts off the gearbox for the jet pumps are disconnected and the linkages for the steering clam shells removed. The trim vane on the front is also removed.

The 2 Falkland CET's were used to dig in 3Cdo HQ and build the Harrier FOB - Sid's Strip

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tarland said:

The swimming photo is potentially of one of the prototype vehicles - no prominent intake/exhaust stack or the large bin on the "front" of radiator pack.... (the box above the number plate in the second photo)

The swim location might be MEXE Christchurch or possibly the Chatham area??? Definitely not Instow.

The second photo has been reversed some how - normally the big bin is on the right side as you look at the bucket....

The swim gear comprising ducted fans and the steering clam shells are generally left in situ but the two prop shafts off the gearbox for the jet pumps are disconnected and the linkages for the steering clam shells removed. The trim vane on the front is also removed.

The 2 Falkland CET's were used to dig in 3Cdo HQ and build the Harrier FOB - Sid's Strip

image.jpeg.7cf1f87b6891bf76f37cd155d854c7e3.jpeg

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1538670203842&set=a.10200959412864698

From Rod MacDonald's post on the 59 Independent commando Squadron RE FB page

21 hours ago, Tarland said:

Thanks Tarland - I don't think the 'swimmer' is at Chatham: but I'm sure someone will know!  you are, of course, right about the 'reverse' image from FI.  I can't locate from where I got the image.  I can only assume someone digitised a slide but got it the wrong way round?  I've looked at that picture several times and always felt it was off, but CETs played only a very small - but important - part in my life as a Sapper!  Lame excuse, but there it is!

Thanks again.

A

15 hours ago, Great War truck said:

Yes, it is unique isn't it? Not seen that one for about 30 years. 

Did that live somewhere on the South Coast, I remember supplying some Scammell gearbox parts about 32 years ago to someone with a TRMU30 who claimed he had a trailer?

Some TRMU30s were converted to ballast tractors after the war known as blockbusters.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/homer----simpson/7344907970