your favourite tracked vehicle ??

centi521

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
My favorite..because it's the vehicle I drive. Will go anywhere, floats, great engine, decent armor, good weapons system, and can carry a lot of portable pain in the back.

USMarines_AAV_Iraq_apr_2004_116_hires.jpg

wow i never seen this vehicle before:) m113 chassis ?

looks special :cool2:

Yes matey, you'll have to tell us more now. Have never seen one, let alone considered the chance to have a ride in one. I think that buying one or two would sink the defence budget, but knowing our lot they'd stick a flatbed of chipboard on top and call them aircraft carriers.

MB

Yes matey, you'll have to tell us more now. Have never seen one, let alone considered the chance to have a ride in one. I think that buying one or two would sink the defence budget, but knowing our lot they'd stick a flatbed of chipboard on top and call them aircraft carriers.

MB

They are still current issue to the fleet Marine forces..once they are done, they will be scrapped. New they cost around 900,000 back in the 80s (Mine is an 88 year model, refurbed in 2006 to RAM/RS standards). I saw one for sale in Australia or some other far off country that was stripped and an old non-ram/rs model..I would have bought it at the drop of a hat.

Driving one of these off the back of an LHS is a thrill. The ENTIRE vehicle goes nose under water for a few meters then bobs up. If the guys in the back are new they will freak out because water is coming in from every square inch. Going from ship to shore is an awesome experiance I can't relate. It's like driving a really slow, ungainly boat in the water, and on land, a go-anywhere go cart.

wow i never seen this vehicle before:) m113 chassis ?

looks special :cool2:

No, aavp7a1. It would eat an m113 for lunch! Specifically intended to drive off the backs of LHS/LHA other amphib assault ships fully loaded with 23 Marines on board and drive to shore amid enemy fire and get them there safely. It entered US inventory in 1972 and has been continuosly upgraded...550 HP cummins vt903. Has the suspension, engine, and transmission off of the US army bradley. Usually mounts a 40mm and 50 cal HMG.

So when do we get a ride in it?

I don't own it, I drive it. And as of now it's in the southern US at Marine corps facility under lock and key. My baby :). I doubt they'd let me fire it up for some friends!

You CAN fit a ferret in the back btw :-D, or a jeep.

One reason I love being an Amtrack Marine..I can bring tons of poguey bait (Candy, soda, beef jerky etc) to the field to supplement or replace my MREs and live a rather comfortable existence while the infantry guys can only bring what fits in their pack and what they can carry.

No, aavp7a1. It would eat an m113 for lunch! Specifically intended to drive off the backs of LHS/LHA other amphib assault ships fully loaded with 23 Marines on board and drive to shore amid enemy fire and get them there safely. It entered US inventory in 1972 and has been continuosly upgraded...550 HP cummins vt903. Has the suspension, engine, and transmission off of the US army bradley. Usually mounts a 40mm and 50 cal HMG.

damn ! i wan't one !:shocked:

23 ? just wow :D

damn ! i wan't one !:shocked:

23 ? just wow :D

It's pushing 30 tons loaded with add on armor...very heavy!

In iraq onetime one broke down. SO what did they do? Load 40 Marines into the one aav and tow the other one back to base.

This is what launching from a shoreline looks from the Troop commander's station.

Watching from the driver's station, another track going into the water.

You might possibly leave it near the fence one night, with the keys in? :flowers:

They don't have keys other than the easily cut padlock that keeps the drivers' hatch locked. Starts up when you turn on the fuel, electrical, and push the red START button.

The aavp7a1 is old and needs to be phased out..the new vehicle, the AAAV/EFV, eats the AAV for lunch. 3000HP engine (in the water) from the German Leopard, capable of flying over the water like a boat at 25+ knots, much better armor, a REAL cannon on it-30mm bushmaster, better electronics suite, and can protect the troops inside better than the current AAV will. It can keep up with the abrams. It's a Western style BMP on steroids.

Edited by fadedsun

OK mate! So leave an AAAV'EFF as well! We can supply bolt cutters. The joy you have is you breack it, you don't have to pay for repairs. :-D LOOOOOTS of pictures please!

I have a ton of pictures from my formal MOS schooling I will post in another thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Take it you had left before we got re branded. Qoy went north back to ary and northen ireland. And we were made mbt chally 2 crew. It got very boaring after been recce for so long plus we lost all are trades we could not even fire a gpmg Unless we were re trained. So t the time i had moved to burton on trent in derbyshire and transfered to nottingham. then lost heart with the new roll and the politics of it all so left.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...