your favourite tracked vehicle ??

centi521

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really badly want to own an SA-6 Gainful (2K12 Kub) or its radar unit (1S91 Straight Flush). To me they just look like the epitome of tracked kit - the radar in particular is such a massively excessive piece of kit, it's fantastic - real heavy metal. They're also not mega-expensive!

Unfortunately I've nowhere to put one, and they're ~3.2m wide so the DVLA would take great delight in refusing you a road registration. Spoilsports.

Stone

SA-6_gainful_Russe_21.jpg

Radar_System_IDET_2003_Czech_Republic_01.jpg

The Cletrac does it for me too, left un-restored so full of character and fun to drive.

Ah well, some one had to be the first to claim this one, a Pioneer, haven't got a pic of a tracked Explorer!

Roger Barnard getting through a wet hole I had just winched 432 out of, hence the comment! (not by me) :-D

Something went wrong...

34780.jpg

DSCF3352.jpg

Edited by gritineye

Yes, rebuilt Merchant Navy 'Clan Line', slightly heavier than the Battle of Britain and West Country classes.

Nice engines. For a while I read a lot about steam engines and living in the heart of the LSWR region, these three very similar Bullied Pacifics in particular.

The Bullieds were designed by him when the War Office had demanded that wartime prioritisation meant that passenger engines were not a priority. So Bulleid declared his West country design an "Express freight" engine. Moot point. The other two were derived from the West Country, being lighter to save on steel and with design improvements.

The story that always cracks me up goes something like this (it's been a good few years, so the memory isn't what it was).

They used to stop at a light near the Nine Elms water tank. In order to line engines up with the filler, there were white painted markings on the wall so that when a driver stopped his engine in the right place, the wall told him he was right for the engine he was driving.

Unfortunately, when mainline trains stopped as these lights, the First Class passengers used to complain that they appeared to be stopped right next to the WC, which was not on: after all they were First Class passengers. LSWR repainted the sign for West Country as BoB for Battle of Britain.

---ooo0ooo---

As to my tracks? It would be easy to say Scorpion after seven years in Recce (and Spit on Scimitar, even though I wear a T-shirt showing a Scimitar and declaring that RECCE DO IT IN FRONT OF EVERYONE), or choose any of the other CVR(T)s I served on.

I'd say Ferret, but the title expressly demands TRACKED.

The Tiger 1E was special, and I see the Chieftain as being its Cold War equivalent. See why I have avoided answering this question for so long?

• 2 weeks later...
If you want BIG, weird and impressive there is only one place to go.......Russia!

Imagine a Hagglunds but massive with a 30 ton payload that will go over or through anything, swims and has massive pulling power, you should see the way it drags out a Russian MBT that is buried in snow:-

Seen that before. That is one hugely impressive piece if kit.

Recovery film is included on the original BP films, which are all copyrighted unfortuantely so I can't distribute, though there are clips on You Tube.

As you surely worked out they were driving along and a crevass lid just fell away beneath them. As mostly ex-military types they described it as being like driving a tank over a minefield, except you went down instead of up.

Usual procedure was to drive another couple of 'Cats up front, disconnect the rear sledges and add a couple of Weasels to the back as ground anchors, then dig lightweight aluminium bridging underneath and drive or haul it out.

The four Sno-Cats got all the way across, and numerous other vehicles (Weasels, Muskeg) were abandoned as planned, but one of the four Sno-Cats was lost a couple of years later on the Ross ice shelf when it ran over a similar crevass but end on - one fatality and two seriously injured.

My Sno-Cat, a smaller 443 or the same period, sits on a nice dry garage floor and tows up to three M19 ski/wheel trailers when I take it out.

• 2 weeks later...