Hillman tilly

In our workshop we have a Hillman Tilly for restoration and I have had the owners permission to put up some pictures of the ongoing work. When it came to us some months ago it was in a very poor state and hd been partially dismantled by the previous owner.

hillmantillyrestoration001.jpg

hillmantillyrestoration043.jpg

hillmantillyrestoration023.jpg

hillmantillyrestoration048.jpg

After removing the engine ,transmission and axles, the body was placed on a spit which would make working on the body easier and also support it when sections were removed.

hillmantillyrestoration044.jpg

The nearside sill and floor area was the starting point cutting away the old rusty sections making copys and then fitting them. As there are no replacment panels avaliable to buy they will all have to be hand made.

My nephew Paul who works for me is an absolute genius at making any shape from a flat sheet of steel , his bodywork skills are second to none.

hillmantillyrestoration053.jpg

hillmantillyrestoration055.jpg

hillmantillyrestoration059.jpg

hillmantillyrestoration060.jpg

htc003.jpg

htc001.jpg

htc002.jpg

tilly009.jpg

tilly018.jpg

htc010.jpg

htc011.jpg

As time allows I will post more photos.

Jim.

WOW , by the time its finished its going to weight quite a bit more than when it came in , since it was missing so much metal due to it being rusted away !!

Yes by all means keep the photo's coming looking foreward very much to see how it all works out .

My nephew Paul who works for me is an absolute genius at making any shape from a flat sheet of steel , his bodywork skills are second to none..

The work to my cab is testament to Paul’s handy work!

The Tilly is a brave project by any standard, and it’s great to see it progressing. I was very impressed with the chassis repairs.

• 9 months later...

Hi Jim

I know this thread is four years old now, but having literally just joined BMVF, I'm curious to know about this Hillman Tilly. I run The Tilly Register and as far as I know we do not know about this particular Hillman. i wonder if you could either tell me something about its current status or put me in contact with the owner.

Many thanks

Mike Shackleton

Tilly Register

Hi Mike, not quite sure where you get 4 years from, this thread was started by me 17 March 2009, perhaps you are looking on the top right of the post and seeing 2006 but thats the date i joined HMVF.

Any way the tilly is still with us and work on it continues. If you contact me direct i will tell you more about its history and owner(with his consent)

contact no 01454 261100 anytime.

We also restored Pat Mallins Tilly about 3 years ago as featured in your mag, sadly Pat passed away last year, not sure what happened to his collection.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Clark

does anyone on here kinow how many tillys are left and how the numbers breakdown between the different manufacturers? I assume morris and austin are more common than standard or hillman

Nigel

Nigel,

Morris is probably the rarest of them all. In numbers, I would say highest is Austin, then Hillman, Standard and Morris. Our new member Mike will be able to give a good estimate from the Tilly Register records though.

Nigel,

Morris is probably the rarest of them all. In numbers, I would say highest is Austin, then Hillman, Standard and Morris. Our new member Mike will be able to give a good estimate from the Tilly Register records though.

thanks for that Richard ,I am surprised about Morris being so rare I really would have expected there to be more of them than Hillman or Standard as I assumed they were a bigger company

Nigel

thanks for that Richard ,I am surprised about Morris being so rare I really would have expected there to be more of them than Hillman or Standard as I assumed they were a bigger company

Nigel

Nigel,

I know that Austins carried on in service right into the 1950's with the army. More than likely the Morris Tillies were disposed of, after the war, and / or passed on to other countries as military aid.

Nigel,

I know that Austins carried on in service right into the 1950's with the army. More than likely the Morris Tillies were disposed of, after the war, and / or passed on to other countries as military aid.

this would make sense and perhaps the fact that morris survived as a company longer than at leaststandard gives a false impression of the size of the company.

Out of interest do you know which countries would have recieved the tillys after the war?

this would make sense and perhaps the fact that morris survived as a company longer than at leaststandard gives a false impression of the size of the company.

Nigel,

It is not the size of the company, it is how many contracts they had for the Utilities, and just having a quick look at the list, it looks like Morris had five, where as I have a master parts list for Austin utilities and they supplied at least fifteen contracts. Each contract is for a differing number of vehicles, but just to put it in perspective.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Austin

Approximately 30,000 Austins were produced. Quite a healthy number still exist with 206 on the Register's books.

Hillman

Just under 20,000 Hillmans were made and 33 survive.

Standard

The total ordered (in two distinct series) was over 9,000 for the Army, Air Force, Navy and the Ministry of Supply. Just 2 Series DC Tillys and 29 Series UV Standards survive.

Morris

Over 8,000 Morris Tillys were produced and only 15 Morris Tillys survive.

Cheers

Mike Shackleton

Tilly Register http://www.tillyregister.com/home.html

Nigel,

• 3 years later...