Post war RAF vehicles

Austin

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clive no not a typo a bl**dy cock-up !! I took it from a tin of modelling paint I will e mail them and let them know they are on a fizzer !! I should have done what I normally do and look at my colour chip chart. Just the tin was in front of me on the desk doing the roof of a Austin K6 ballon winch circa 1950s .

as you say it should be 356

Apologies

cheers

TED

Well they have led you astray Ted. I was surprised to see that number as you post knowledgeably on RAF MT matters. 2 as a yellow shade looked immediately wrong.

Anyway an excuse to list BSC381C colours for general reference for all. 3-digit colour notation first digit is colour group.

1 - blue, turquoise

2 - green

3 - yellow, cream & buff

4 - brown & pink

5 - orange & red

6 - grey

7 - purple, violet

eg:

Sky Blue = 101

Deep Bronze Green = 224

Signal Red = 537

Light Admiralty Grey = 697

Clive that has just reminded me dentist and hygenist tuesday that will be £90 out of the pension for 2 minutes look in the mouth and I have lost a huge filling dso that will be another £150 on top of that I bet that dental truck didn't cost much more to build !!!

thanks for sharing the piccy

TED

Clive that is most likely the one currently in the RAF Museum at Cosford.

It is of the later variety, the ones that appear to have crossed to EUROPE post D Day were on the earlier WOT1 chassis and with a slightly lower body. I believe this one served in Cyprus for most of its service life. I also believe it was a "gang of volunteers" at the then No 1 School of Tech Training at RAF Halton -- where coincidentally the RAF used to have a dental training school

Clive I would think its the same one, just checked the Cosford web it only shows an internal picture which I have refrained from posting !!! but it confirms it served in Cyprus until the mid 1960s, restored at Halton and presented to Cosford in 1982.

Attached is a view I poached from another site,

regards

TED

fordsonmdu.jpg

Well they have led you astray Ted. I was surprised to see that number as you post knowledgeably on RAF MT matters. 2 as a yellow shade looked immediately wrong.

Anyway an excuse to list BSC381C colours for general reference for all. 3-digit colour notation first digit is colour group.

1 - blue, turquoise

2 - green

3 - yellow, cream & buff

4 - brown & pink

5 - orange & red

6 - grey

7 - purple, violet

eg:

Sky Blue = 101

Deep Bronze Green = 224

Signal Red = 537

Light Admiralty Grey = 697

So RAF Blue Grey 633 is a grey, not a blue...!

From memory we used tol put the roudal both front and rear when we repainted vehicles and ground equpment. This was som long as we had enough to go round if not at least one was put on the back of the Land Rovers rather than teh front.

Heres a link showing all of the BS381C Colours, including lots of military colours.

RAF Blue/Grey isnt the only "Blue" that features as a grey, PRU (Photographic Reconnaissance Unit) Blue is in there as well.

http://www.chingfords.co.uk/bs381c-chart.php

Adam another anomoly was the colour we all loved on the aircraft Dark Green currently BS 641 was for many years numbered 241 !!

TED

Adam another anomoly was the colour we all loved on the aircraft Dark Green currently BS 641 was for many years numbered 241 !! TED

Ted wasn't that the other way around? I believe 641 was added in 1964 to the 1948 list & then changed to 241 in 1988.

Ted wasn't that the other way around? I believe 641 was added in 1964 to the 1948 list & then changed to 241 in 1988.

Clive I was testing you !! and as a prize -- I don't know if you have seen these photos of mine before, this is BS 381c tint 380 Camouflage Desert sand that the RAF adopted just before gulf war 2 to replace the use of FS 30279 desert sand pink introduced initially in ARTF then in synthetic alkyd for Gulf war 1 and BS 361 Lt Stone,

WE did virtually the whole fleet of No1 ACC in 48 hours, as Boulmer doesn't have a spray shop.

TED

BS 381 tint 380.jpg

BS381 tint380 cam desert sand.jpg

Nice paint job, all of our vehicles on TCW that went out to Gulf war 1 were sprayed by Brize paint shop in Light stone, and included the tyres and just about everything you didnt need spraying! naturally most of it started to flake off fairly quickly, and when they got back home thay sprayed NATO green and black onto them, which started to peel and flake, so it was spot the theatre of operation, as there was an interesting mix of green white black and sand breaking out all over the place.