Post war RAF vehicles

Austin

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike that is a real mystery all I can offer is ; in the years immediately after WW2 The Air ministry were instructed that they, through the RAF were to provide assistance in the form of vehicles, ground equipment and P.O.L. to BOAC around the world as they were re-establishing routes etc.

This may be an extension of that ??? my only other thought is that in the early days many vehicles operating on aerodromes were not registered with the relevant local authorities as long as public traffic had no access to the operating areas. May be this truck had passed to shell and the RAF serial was left on merely as an identifying mark ???

The tank is probally the standard SHELL yellow the cab could be ShELL red but it could be as you say RAF Blue Grey ??

A Mystery but a great period shot

TED

http://www.suezcanalzone.com/pics09.html

I don't want to keep banging on about it, but Water Tanker towards bottom of page clearly and undisputedly has a roundel on the back of the tank Suez 1950-55 period. You don't need any special viewer for this one, nor does it require any interpetation!

Am I right in saying it an RAF Austin K9 water bowser?

Edited by antarmike

Mike you got the roundel right but not the truck Its a Bedford OY water bowser I think the reg is 19AG43, It is in fact a truck fire water 500gal, but in these theatres a water bowser was a water bowser.

In the post 1949 reg system; block AG there were about 560 OYs as fire trucks, with approx 80 more in the AM block as general water bowsers.

If you look at the rear compartment doors they follow the eliptical contour of the tank, plus the external hinges. On the K9 the pump compartment had parralel sides from the mid point downwards and concealed hinges. Finally there is rear towing facilty on the OY, few if any RAF K9 tanker had the rear hitch fitted.

TED

RAF Fire Manual.jpg

Bedford_water_bowser.jpg

• 6 months later...
Would anyone be interested in these from my usual source?

Interested can I use the word orgasmic on here ??

Alan thank you again for sharing.

The Bedford ambulance is not quite what it seems, It started life as a Radio Vehicle Type 316 Mk3, it was designed and equipped to transport ground radio servicing parties and their equipment. IT still retains its AV reg (signals vehicles) and I suspect was for transporting a patient connected to lots of wires and tubes or someone with an infectious condition after aero med from overseas. Will try and find more.

Alan looking forward to the next set !!

regards TED

The Bedford S type Lacre runway sweeper........what an animal ! I did a total rebuild on one many years ago, down to bare chassis. Worst part was working in the rear body, loads of filter bags and shaking mechanism to remove the dust from them. What thing to operate though, all powered off the 300ci petrol engine.

Those huge rear view mirrors are classic, imagine seeing a Vulcan in them !!!! :shake::shake::shake: