Post war RAF vehicles

Austin

After the WW2 RAF vehicles thread, I wanted to see the correct color and markings for a post war vehicle too.

My idea is to repaint my Austin K9 in RAF colours ( I have been given a few gallons on post war blue).

Here is a picture I found on the web on an RAF Austin K9. Is the white roof on the radio body correct for the 50's era?

Many thanks and I look forward to reading your replies.

austin2_k9qgb_74av71_1_bb.jpg

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ted has all the stuff for this as well, but I think I am correct in saying that immediate post war it would have had black wings as well as bumpers. Dont have the AMO in front of me to say what year this was phased out though. White roof date I cant say, all I have reference to is high vis yellow. TED!!!!!!

Sorry missed this one, for your K9 gloss blue grey was the order of the day, the black wings were ditched in 1954, at the same time in Germany the RAF went to Gloss Deep Bronze Green same as the army was using. the Near & middle east went to Lt Stone, the far east blue grey. However I have seen colour shots of blue grey continuing in the near & middle east and Lt Stone being used in the far east.

White cab and body roofs were common place in all the warm overseas theatres. In UK yellow tops if frequently on an airfield or on mountain rescue duties. Each team had a Austin K9 WT truck body types varied.

Historically there is some conflict between the orders for vehicle colours and the orders for airfield hazards. In WW2 yellow bonnets are refered to in some vehicle painting orders, but the airfield hazard orders refer to orange !!!!

Post war airfield hazard orders reqired vehicles to be yellow, vehicle repaint orders talked about yellow tops ??????

Regards TED

Fantastic piccies, The MRT with the RL I think is the RAF St Athan boys, note the cabin on the K9 in MRT service there were several different cabins as long as it could fullfill its W/T & RT role then it was good enough. On my first stint at St Athan in late 66 the Mrt were still operating the K9 but it was replaced in early 67 by a Landie. The Landie ambulance is a rare bird it is a series one They were established for MRT duties in UK, MRT and Desert Rescue overseas although a handful of overseas airfields had them for airfield crash cover-- mostly in the Gulf theatre on one of our previous little escapade in the area.

Attached 2 variations on the theme

1Leuchars-MRT-Basecamp-Arran.jpg

4Rescue-77.jpg

10-04-2008203749.jpg

rafsignals.jpg

Mike its just amazing how these power trucks soldiered on, 73AV07 above is marked STR /90 STR =strike command which was formed in 1968, in 70 I went to Cyprus for 3 years, throughout that time in the NEAF contingency stores there was at least a dozen of these power trucks I just wonder when the last ones actually left service ?

regards TED

14-03-2008180033.jpg

and the roundel can appear on the rear of the vehicle!!!

Mike I would suggest both these are long out of service

a roundel on the rear was never called for nor the letters RAF. If that is part of a pre 49 era reg then it is definately a preserved vehicle as the

Snow machine is somewhat later but keep the piccies coming !!!

TED

Mike its just amazing how these power trucks soldiered on, 73AV07 above is marked STR /90 STR =strike command which was formed in 1968, in 70 I went to Cyprus for 3 years, throughout that time in the NEAF contingency stores there was at least a dozen of these power trucks I just wonder when the last ones actually left service ?

Ted,

Several of these came up for auction at Ruddington in 1974 ( vehicles lying at RAOC Ashchurch), inc. 70AV42, 70AV78, 73AV05, 72AV84 and 73AV72. All van bodied generator trucks.

Thanks Richard, I wonder if they brought some of them home or if they were from a UK resource. Normal practise was to auction on the Island I had a fantastic visit to that huge scrapyard not far from Dhekalia & Larnaca in april 1972 At that time there was everything from Austin K5 to Bedford RL with much in between !! I witnessed the Green Goddesses been stripped of their rear bodies and converted to 25 pounder and bofor tractors,

I wonder if the Mat was the UKs longest serving vehicle ??

TED

two shots of the Bedford-Lacre runway sweeper on the RS chassis

Now......I recognise that one. Back in the Seventies, I completely overhauled one, right down to the bare chassis. Although it is down as a Bedford R type, it is in fact a 4x2, so an S type. This always puzzled me because the S was discontinued around 1959 when the TK came along. The R type 4x4 continued until about 1979, but this sweeper was built in the mid-60's. Anyway, it was a bit of an animal to operate as the sweeping attachment was belt driven of the back of the gearbox, really sapped the power.

There are numerous cloth bags inside that are filters, a long handle on the side is attached to a shaker mechanism inside so that the dust can be shook off the bags.

The rear view mirrors on top are something else, imagine seeing a Vulcan approaching from behind!

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

A rare bird indeed Ted s1 ambo,i guess the other picture of broken down S1 could be broken layshaft:rofl:

Mike I would suggest both these are long out of service

a roundel on the rear was never called for nor the letters RAF. If that is part of a pre 49 era reg then it is definately a preserved vehicle as the

Snow machine is somewhat later but keep the piccies coming !!!

TED

Yes, probably, but I don't think it had been repainted, I may be wrong, but it looks to me like the O854 is in its service colours.

21-03-2009174811.jpg

Yes, probably, but I don't think it had been repainted, I may be wrong, but it looks to me like the O854 is in its service colours.

21-03-2009174811.jpg

Mike its got the same posh RAF on both doors front & rear, not us guv, RAF as an identifier went out in 41 when the roundael was brought in .

TED