Post war RAF vehicles

Austin

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note the Standard estate car with all its kit laid out...........the General Trade plates are same number as on the SAS Land Rover. I think by deduction they were used by the Ministry men, as the background wall indicates that they may have been from Quality Assurance. The kit laid out looks to be measuring and inspection equipment.

Once again Alan fantastic thank you lots of memories here, The tin top bedford 1 ton brings back great memories. We used one at Marham to carry us from Stn Workshops accross the airfield to the old Bloodhound workshop which had become the ground equipment servicing section. When first there I was a lowly Cpl : we had an ars* of a Sgt from a far away land who would not ride in the back so used to kick the duty driver out of his seat. We had a rope with a 5 gallon drum with some gravel in it, once on the taxiway we would trail the can out thew back Sgt would stop the truck rope would be hauled in , this would be repeated during the jourrney and was repeated day after day. I still chuckle to my self when I think about it. The twin rear wheel Davies were the worst thing I have driven for the old hemoroids !!

Thanks again Alan

TED

• 2 weeks later...
The Bedford TK cherry picker..................memories of one of those in my section. It had come back from Ascension Island for overhaul, used for working on AWACS apparantly. Very badly weathered due to sea air, there was not a fin left on the radiator it was that bad !!!

I spent a year down on Ascension Island, everything was either sun bleached, semi sand blasted or corroded with the humid sea air.

I remember the Fire section had a vehicle which didnt last long, but it wasnt the climate.

They were driving from the airfield up to the camp on the longest stretch of straight road on the island, at slightly faster than the 30 Mph island limit in the Range Rover TACR......and a feral donkey stepped out in front of it, which re-arranged the front end and left a vague donkey shaped impression in what was left of the front end.

The donkeys were descendants from Napoleonic times, Royal Marines were stationed on the Island, with a Royal Navy ship and crew, Ascension is North of the next island in line, St Helena, which is where Napoleon Bonaparte was prisoned by the British, the detachment on Ascension were an early warning and strike force to prevent the French from springing old Boney, which never happened. The donkeys were introduced as transport by the Royal Marines, and therefore were early Military Vehicles, and pure wild bred from the original articles.

Not that we were misty eyed about the bas***ds! they used to raid the camp at night, stealing everything and chewing it up, or go and trash the bins all over the floors, a bit like marines after a few sherbets infact!

In the end they decided to have a cull and reduce numbers and brought in a sniper from the Falklands, so we took great delight to point out the best donkey hang outs.

A really interesting place, and i would love to go back!

I spent a year down on Ascension Island, everything was either sun bleached, semi sand blasted or corroded with the humid sea air.

I remember the Fire section had a vehicle which didnt last long, but it wasnt the climate.

They were driving from the airfield up to the camp on the longest stretch of straight road on the island, at slightly faster than the 30 Mph island limit in the Range Rover TACR......and a feral donkey stepped out in front of it, which re-arranged the front end and left a vague donkey shaped impression in what was left of the front end.

The donkeys were descendants from Napoleonic times, Royal Marines were stationed on the Island, with a Royal Navy ship and crew, Ascension is North of the next island in line, St Helena, which is where Napoleon Bonaparte was prisoned by the British, the detachment on Ascension were an early warning and strike force to prevent the French from springing old Boney, which never happened. The donkeys were introduced as transport by the Royal Marines, and therefore were early Military Vehicles, and pure wild bred from the original articles.

Not that we were misty eyed about the bas***ds! they used to raid the camp at night, stealing everything and chewing it up, or go and trash the bins all over the floors, a bit like marines after a few sherbets infact!

In the end they decided to have a cull and reduce numbers and brought in a sniper from the Falklands, so we took great delight to point out the best donkey hang outs.

A really interesting place, and i would love to go back!

It wasn't this one was it or was this one being driven by a donkey !!??

A question for you RAF types........do you know of any Triumph TR5 or TR6 open sports cars that were in RAF service? I saw a photo recently of one with RAF reg plates.

Here is the pic of the Triumph TR sports car with RAF reg. no. It was sent by a friend, the original source unknown.

I know the location but will be interested to see who will identify it.

no donkeys were knowingly hurt by this vehicle

RAF Triumph.jpg

Richard I recall that piccy from an edition of the "Flamingo" which was the station magazine; I am sure it was a charity stunt; Its on the RAF Akrotiri website photo taken By Sgt Chris Pettmen who was the SNCO ic photo section the driver was a Don Madge. taken 69/70. I will dig further I may have the mag in the loft

TED

Richard I recall that piccy from an edition of the "Flamingo" which was the station magazine; I am sure it was a charity stunt; Its on the RAF Akrotiri website photo taken By Sgt Chris Pettmen who was the SNCO ic photo section the driver was a Don Madge. taken 69/70. I will dig further I may have the mag in the loft

TED

Thanks Ted,

My friend may have lifted the pic from a website and it was titled Akrotiri. Do you reckon they might have "borrowed" the rego plates from a staff car?

• 2 weeks later...

Ted, this does indeed look like the Ascension Island Donkey killer!

Not only did it kill a donkey, but then there there was the resulting death by sniper, donkey genocide follow up!

But theres more! not long after the donkeys got it in the neck for being oversized vermin, it was decided that the RAF Police should get a speed gun!

Now nobody on the island knew they had it, until one day they pulled over just about every single service person in a vehicle going to and from the camp up to Travellers hill. Obviously the RAF Police thought this was great, everybody else thought they were ars***les!

Anyway they were having great fun with this thing for a few weeks, until one of them dropped it!

They brought it around to our Comms section very worried, apparently they had borrowed it as a favour from a camp in the UK, and it was meant to go back fairly soon, in the condition it was sent !

We took it in and told them we would let them know, one of the lads opened it up and a battery wire had broke from the shock of the landing when dropped, been a good airman he soldered it back on, and hey presto a working speed gun! after dicking around with it outside for a bit, the decision was made by a couple of the lads (who had been caught) to put it back to its unserviceable state......permanently, and hooked it up to a variable power supply ,cranked up the wiggly amps and waited until some of the capacitors finished shrieking by going bang and blowing their guts out!

Theres a moral to the story in there somewhere, probably if your a fireman driving a Range Rover TACR dont speed and hit Donkeys, the resulting fallout isnt good!

31AG30.jpg

Edited by Adam Elsdon

Thanks Ted for claryfying the point I was trying to make that BMC/Rrover supplied the red arrows pilots with transport, mind you some of thier cars could have been donkeys.

The Red Arrows used to have Lightweight landys painted up in the team colours, always thought it would be nice to recreate that and take it to shows, make a change from green.