Plane crash - Bandvagn to the rescue

mcspool

A Boeing 737-800 crashed in a field near Amsterdam Airport Schiphol this morning. Read more at http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/02/25/turkish.plane.amsterdam/index.html

Reportedly one person died in the crash. The number of injured is unknown as of yet, although it seems many walked away from the crash.

I´m posting this here because one of the pictures shows a converted Bandvagn (BV 206?) in use to transport the casualties out of the field to safety.

Here´s hoping all the survivors will be able to go home soon.

- Hanno

m1bzv6jafmyu.jpg

m1bzv6jadhlc.jpg

The BV 206 must have been converted before the crash so well done to the Dutch. However it makes you wonder how well prepared or otherwise the UK authorities would be in similar circumstances!

I cannot say that I have ever seen any 4x4 ambulances (let alone tracked ones) in the UK outside those in the 'Military' and Mountain Rescue. So it would probably be HMVF members to the rescue though not in the 'golden 1 hour' period to save the seriously injured.

It may be just me but I get the impression that buying up a few BV 206 or similar vehicles for use on UK major airports would be considered impractical and that those responsible for crash rescue it would prefer to put out a £20 Billion Private Finance Initiative to come up with the same BV206 design in a different colour and mission statement logo on the side!

It would not surprise me at all if the UK airfields all have tracked vehicles too.

It would surprise the hell out of me mate!!! :)

After the last 11 years though I'd even be surprised to find our airports etc.still had dedicated crash tenders and weren't relying on the "nearest fire centre" - umpteen miles away!!!

Found them. Three were taken on board by Schiphol in 1960. Two were converted in to crash rescue and one crash recovery vehicles. One of the crash recoverys was scrapped and the other given to the Dutch artillery collection in 1981. The third was still at Schiphol in 1981. Where is it now?

Crash recovery:

HST1.jpg

Crash rescue (you can hardly recognise it was once a HST).

HST2.jpg

Tim (too)

After the last 11 years though I'd even be surprised to find our airports etc.still had dedicated crash tenders and weren't relying on the "nearest fire centre" - umpteen miles away!!!

Neil,

UK airports have to be equipped with fire / crash tenders that come up to a specification dependant on aircraft type and size of airport and all sorts of other criteria, like response time, ie speed to get to incident. You will find a lot of these smaller airports have now had to invest in much more modern equipment in recent years. There is no way that they could or would be allowed to operate by using the local fire brigade.

Neil,

UK airports have to be equipped with fire / crash tenders that come up to a specification dependant on aircraft type and size of airport and all sorts of other criteria, like response time, ie speed to get to incident. You will find a lot of these smaller airports have now had to invest in much more modern equipment in recent years. There is no way that they could or would be allowed to operate by using the local fire brigade.

I was just being cynical there Richard - there's been a fight over keeping the local fire station to us operational - the last council (Labour dominated) wanted it closed with a couple of others and one about 10 miles away upgraded to cover an area about 5 times the size it did - no extra men or equipment though. New council (BNP dominated) kicked that plan into touch - and then the fun started...

Found them. Three were taken on board by Schiphol in 1960. Two were converted in to crash rescue and one crash recovery vehicles. One of the crash recoverys was scrapped and the other given to the Dutch artillery collection in 1981. The third was still at Schiphol in 1981. Where is it now?

Crash recovery:

HST1.jpg

HST2.jpg

Tim (too)

They do look good though Tim, be nice to know where they ended up

Crash recovery:

HST1.jpg

HST2.jpg

Tim (too)

Wow indeed hard to recognise the last one! Amazing that you have pictures of these, thanks for posting them!

The BV 206 must have been converted before the crash so well done to the Dutch.

It was acquired after a Cityhopper Saab 340 made an emergency landing in the mud next to the Kaagbaan runway in 1994. In a sense, it is a replacement for the M4 High Speed Tractor featured in this thread. Two of those were converted as fire fighters, a third was used as a tractor. When the latter was struck off duty, it was restored by the Dutch Artillery Museum.

These days, the airport uses high-tech high-speed 8-wheel crash tenders which can cover the vast distances of the extensive airfield quickly. One of these managed to get to the crashed aircraft but sunk to its axles in the heavy clay of the freshly plowed field.

The BV206 gave sterling service, but there was only one. A friend of mine who works at Schiphol says they are now contemplating to get some more.

Meanwhile, the farmer in who´s field the aircraft crashed provided transport with his tractor and a couple of trailers. The local farmers have offered to be closely involded in providing assistance in any further incidents, as the chance is high an aircraft does not crash on airport territory but in one of the many farmer´s fields around the airport. Farmers can be on the spot quickly with their equipment.

Medevac helicopters were used to a great extent, too.

Sadly, nine people died, and 86 were injured. But I´m sure the combined efforts of all who provided help, both by professionals and volunteers, have prevented the number of deaths to rise.

- Hanno

P.S.: picture source http://www.nufoto.nl/onderwerpen/vliegtuigcrash-schiphol/

m1ezkqfapenh.jpg

m1bzv4pakuyf.jpg

m1bzv3xamh59.jpg

m1bzv6gal9cd.jpg

Edited by mcspool

Earlier today I drove along the A9 motorway, passing by the crash site. The side of the road has been boarded off to prevent viewing and the police is fining motorists EUR 250 for pulling over on the side of the motorway.

However, I did get a few glimpses of the crash site. The aircraft is still in situ with technical research in progress. It struck me that seeing it with one´s own eyes is very different from seeing it in the media.

It also struck me how small the field is in which the aircraft crashed, and how close the aircraft crashed to (farm) buildings and the motorway, which sits on an earth bank. The threshold of the runway is just across the motorway on the other side of the bank.

The crash investigation will draw conclusions about what really happened, but if the pilots had any control over where they were going to crash, they somehow prevented an even greater accident by missing all the buildings and roads in the vicinity.

m1ezkqua1hkq.jpg

Edited by mcspool