How do you prefer your MV?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer your MV?

• As it left the factory
    • As it would be tarted up for an annual inspection
    • As it would be in daily usage
    • As it would be in battle
    • As it would be stored in used condition in a vehicle depot

Great thread, and same with replies,..........I've gone with the 'in service look',.........which suits me, and as far as I'm concerned, thats what counts; :-D ( the fact others, ex service inc, have commented on the fact it carries dust etc,..which makes it look used, is a bonus........)

However, if it needs 'touching up,........I'll do it.

Does anybody think that restorations and the way the final vehicle looks is driven by money.......let me explain, with a fictional example.......

You have come across an original untouched VW Schwimwagen, its a bit of a mess, and it costs you a reasonable sum of money to purchase it.

If you fully restore it with all the bells and whistles to a high standard you know that a collector will pay good money for it, or do you do a rolling restoration getting it up to an acceptable condition with a well used look. I for one dont think most owners would run it as a rolling resto, because of the money involved, and the resultant costly restoration makes it look brash/lifeless, it lands up been sold and becoming a garage queen.

Another not so fictional example to ponder!: Somebody goes out puts on the rose tinted specs and arrives home with a Humber Pig, because it was interesting, low production numbers making it a bit of a rarity and mainly because it was cheap!

Over a period of time, as a rolling resto it is repaired on a bit of a shoestring, attending shows throughout the season and serviced as its used, eventually getting to a good serviceable condition but used without worrying about every scratch.

Now i am in no way knocking how somebody looks after vehicle and how they use them, it is entirely up to the individual, but i prefer talking to the collector who knows the vehicle inside out, knows how it was used and how to drive it in the same manner, it justs adds to the character of the vehicle>

Edited by Adam Elsdon

In my oppinion they were usually tidy till they went in front line duty , so most close up pictures show that they are fairly straight , so that what I try wenn I restore a vehicle , with WW2 vehicles the fact is that they all were almost new , max 4 years old , so they would not have 8 coats of paint on , and holes rotted in them .

So I agree if you restore it like new , then it will age again by using it .

In my oppinion they were usually tidy till they went in front line duty , so most close up pictures show that they are fairly straight , so that what I try wenn I restore a vehicle , with WW2 vehicles the fact is that they all were almost new , max 4 years old , so they would not have 8 coats of paint on , and holes rotted in them .

So I agree if you restore it like new , then it will age again by using it .

Maurice,

I wholly agree with you and that is how I restore them. OK they look a bit too fresh, when first completed, but after use, everything tones down and paint gets rubbed in the normal places, etc and they then get the in service look.

I sometimes have the impression that the 'military' aspect is used as an excuse for bad workmanship and lack of attention to detail. Another layer of greenish paint will cover a multitude of sins.

With regard to WW2 British vehicles, it is evident from period literature and photographs that away from the front line and even before the formation of REME and the Task System, there were rigid maintenance schedules and vehicles were kept clean.

I have been trying to maintain the originality of my ex-BEF Norton whilst trying to achieve a workmanlike impression of it in service. It isn't easy. I've been able to resist the temptation to knock the dings out of the mudguards and I've avoided cleaning up small areas of damage but if durability is required then the refinishing has to be more than a layer of paint on top of everything.

I very carefully hand cleaned the ali castings to avoid a newly blasted look only to find that the Norton records show that a shot blast finish was used to dull down the bright new castings.

That almost all BEF motorcycles had bent mudguards and dented tanks is evident from pictures of how they were netted ashore at Cherbourg.

a1940befcu5.th.jpg

Most Nortons in service have characteristic vertical dents on the fuel tank where the forks make contact in a tumble.

a19391941c99999991935mc.th.jpg

...Damn How I wanted to fill those dents. I've managed to leave them though but it took me a while to be certain about it.

I find this a very interesting thread. In my opinion it depends on the rarity of the vehicle.

When I bought the scammell I was careful to make sure what I'd bought first before doing anything, had it been rare I would have approached the restoration differently or sold it onto someone with the means to do it justice. I hate seeing something very rare that has been bodged about with.

That said I'm always amused by vehicles which have been restored to excess, I remember a 101 resto that had every nut and bolt head aligned with a spirit level (You get the idea) but it didn't drive on the road and barriers were put up to prevent anyone from touching it :??? that's also equally as sad in my opinion!

Both the scammell and the stolly will be restored to a good standard, then I'll drive them like they were intended and probably scratch and bend a load of things in the process of enjoying the vehicles. I wont dress up in period gear or sit in a trench all day. I'll restore them to the best of my ability and save my money to rescue something else that's going to scrap.

I guess its down to which way you take pleasure from this hobby, for me its driving them..... :drive:

Re the poll,

Does "as it would be in battle" mean a Sherman should be "brewing up" and what would H&S think of this?

:rofl:

I didnt post the poll myself, but that was the kind of image that sprung to my mind, only my version was:- A vehicle that had hit a landmine or a field ambulance awash with blood and gore.

I'm not to sure but presenting a vehicle in such a manner may receive adverse comment and may gain less judging marks from the rivet counters!

On the flip side of that, daily usage could also be a range target!

Edited by Adam Elsdon

:rofl:

I didnt post the poll myself, but that was the kind of image that sprung to my mind, only my version was:- A vehicle that had hit a landmine or a field ambulance awash with blood and gore.

I'm not to sure but presenting a vehicle in such a manner may receive adverse comment and may gain less judging marks from the rivet counters!

On the flip side of that, daily usage could also be a range target!

You mean like the Grant thats full of holes usually seen running around at W&P!! :)

On the maitience side, Robert Houghton's book, Run Away Someone's Coming gives the routine.

'The truck had to be kept clean', 'Once a month your truck had to undergo two inspections, at two weekly intervals, one by your section NCO and the other by company workshops'. If you had not carried out your daily maintience you laid yourself open to jankers'.

There is of course another condition in which to display Military vehicles (and all vehicles come to that) and that is as found. The just dragged out of a barn look. If it is possible to get a vehicle which is basically a runner in good order, but which has just fallen into disuse and been parked up for years, into a safe drivable condition, I for one like to see this sort of exhibit.

Some peole run these for 5 or 10 years as found, then restore.

thers do what it takes to keep the vehicle, drivable and safe, but are determined to keep the birds nest, and the brambles....