NEW WW2/Hotchkiss Jeep

Nick Johns

• 2 years later...
At the end of the day,it may have a genuine chassis,but its a replica.To be used on a daily basis,then thats fine,as you dont have to worry about wearing or genuine one out.

So.......... if using 'replacement parts' destroys a vehicles 'authenticity'..????...

Well...I'd have to suggest there are quite probably no 'genuine' wartime vehicles left out there at all..

..elsewhere on this forum are various threads detailing the complete rebuilding of many vehicles including M10s & Shermans that have had to be totally and I mean TOTALLY rebuilt using many new parts and completely reconstructed bits and pieces that are not genuine WW2.......

.......are they now, not genuine WW2 vehicles anymore?..........

As had been said on here before ....we all know there are prats out there that make wild claims for their vehicles such as "one of the first ashore on D-Day".........."one of the last 3 on the planet " etc etc..and only a fool would try to suggest this Jeep is a veteran WW2 vehicle but......... it is still a very nice Jeep and just as genuine as anything else that looks pretty darn good but was manufactured after 1945.....

So.......... if using 'replacement parts' destroys a vehicles 'authenticity'..????...

Well...I'd have to suggest there are quite probably no 'genuine' wartime vehicles left out there at all..

..elsewhere on this forum are various threads detailing the complete rebuilding of many vehicles including M10s & Shermans that have had to be totally and I mean TOTALLY rebuilt using many new parts and completely reconstructed bits and pieces that are not genuine WW2.......

.......are they now, not genuine WW2 vehicles anymore?..........

As had been said on here before ....we all know there are prats out there that make wild claims for their vehicles such as "one of the first ashore on D-Day".........."one of the last 3 on the planet " etc etc..and only a fool would try to suggest this Jeep is a veteran WW2 vehicle but......... it is still a very nice Jeep and just as genuine as anything else that looks pretty darn good but was manufactured after 1945.....

This is a moot point. If you are restoring a vehicle and use as many original parts as possible , regardless of scource then it can count as an historic vehicle. Once you get into parts re manufactured to original spec, or parts supplied by manufacturer as old part no longer avilable, then things start to get complicated.

As to wether a vehicle manufactured from parts could be historic, it was done by one of the Land Rover magazines a few years ago. DVLA refused to accept it as it was new build. When done on an existing chassi, it was accepted. So wht if an old vehicle is re-chassised and then other bits added? Depends on how much you add. That's why MVT and IMPS do a verification scheme.

good point Tony...but .....are there that many 'genuine' parts really still available ?

I mean ....are there honestly still that many 'new' but never issued WW2 era spares kicking around the world for not only Jeeps but every other vehicle someone might find and want to restore , whether British or US ?

mind you as a footnote...

when I were a lad in the early 70s working in a local garage on sat mornings, I was given the job one day of sorting out a cupboard full of miscellaneous gaskets and stuff....and I did find a complete set of gaskets for a Jeep dated 1944 on the cardboard sleeve they were in ...can't recall if it was a Willys/Ford/MB or what though....but....that was almost 40 years ago and I would have thought any such finds as that are now long gone?????

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

Given the money some people are asking for "original" Jeeps (even ones from the 50s or later - look at Milweb at the moment) this doesn't seem completely unrealistic - at the end of the day is a essentially a brand new vehicle and pretty much the same price as a brand new Defender 90... and I guess these will hold their value a darn sight better than a modern Landy too.

Would I buy one? Probably not, but maybe a few years from now when they're a couple of years old and lost a few quid in depreciation I'd be tempted...

Vehicles that have been rebuilt using a mix of new and/or used parts

To keep the original registration number:

Cars and light vans must use:

the original unaltered chassis or unaltered monocoque bodyshell (that is, the body and chassis as one unit); or

a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original. A receipt from the dealer or manufacturer is required.

AND the vehicle must have two other major components – as listed below – from the original vehicle.

Suspension (front and back)

Axles (both)

Transmission

Steering assembly

Engine

If a second-hand chassis or monocoque bodyshell is used, the vehicle must have Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) or Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) (see section 11). A ‘Q’ registration number will then be issued (see section 7).

Edited by ruxy
amd.

good point Tony...but .....are there that many 'genuine' parts really still available ?

I mean ....are there honestly still that many 'new' but never issued WW2 era spares kicking around the world for not only Jeeps but every other vehicle someone might find and want to restore , whether British or US ?

mind you as a footnote...

when I were a lad in the early 70s working in a local garage on sat mornings, I was given the job one day of sorting out a cupboard full of miscellaneous gaskets and stuff....and I did find a complete set of gaskets for a Jeep dated 1944 on the cardboard sleeve they were in ...can't recall if it was a Willys/Ford/MB or what though....but....that was almost 40 years ago and I would have thought any such finds as that are now long gone?????

You'd be surprised...

At a wellknown MV parts dealer I've PERSONALLY seen crated GPW Ford axles with the WW2 invoice still in it.

Also many many original parts New old stock or used ones. And this was only a few years ago.

Offcourse some parts are very difficult to find.