Scammell Explorer (Big Jenny)

Well the big grin has been slapped off my face yet again by the sodding scammell>:( I decided to take advice and have a look at the output flange on the gearbox. It seemed a bit baggy.....So i jacked up one side so i could turn the propshaft to faciltate nut removal and got the tools out, this is where it took a turn for the worst.....The shaft was held on with metric nylocks.....always a bad sign on my scammell that the butchering bas*$&s have been there first. Things got worse when i turned the shaft to gain easy access to some more propshaft bolts, There was a clink......like the nut had fallen off.

Much struggling later i removed the propshaft and the nut fell on the floor......Compleat with the threaded part of the mainshaft and split pin:embarrassed: Honest to god i've had enough of this bloody truck now. Utterly fed up,pissed off.

broken 1.jpg

broken 2.jpg

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bugger. :-(

At least you discovered the problem at home and not out and about somewhere. If you were really pushed I suppose that you could drill and tap the shaft and use a bolt. But there are so many Scammells about with overpowered engines someone is bound to have a spare shaft.

Bugger was one of the more milder words used..... Glad you suggested the the drilling and bolt method cos my mate is on his way over with said large drill bit tap and a suitable bolt:embarrassed: I also plan to grind a taper on the mainshaft so i can get a nice big weld on the bloody thing so the flange and shaft are one and the same......Also plan to tack weld the bolt to stop it slackening off too. The only thing stopping it all falling off was the transmission brake mounting overlapped the drum:shake:. I know welding it all up is a propper bodge but to be honest there is no cash left in the pot for parts. It's either weld and see or Scammell for sale as non runner on Ebay.:embarrassed:

Rob , what a pain in the butt ! I am really gutted for you mate ! I know its a marathon job to get her this far but don't loose faith mate ! I KNOW you are more than capable of getting this sorted after seeing all the graft you put into sorting out the crankshaft ! Good luck mate ! :-)

All the tools have now arrived. REALLY looking forward to drilling an inch hole in the shaft with a hand held drill:-X decided not to weld splines just a huge tack weld between nut blot head and flange:-D

Deep Sorrow for you, mate :(:(:( Just when you thought you were having a result getting her on the road.

Times like this bring out the real men, though. Think positive, Ebay is not an option, just got to grit yer teeth, dig in, and mend it again. With a bit of luck you'll be able to laugh about it later, not sure how much later, these things take time.

Went back out again armed with pistol drill and half an ounce of Golden Virginia ( alomost managed to stop smoking this last few months) I now have a 10 mm hole about 1 1/2" deep. Had to stop for tea and my arms are hurting. Off roading with the landy tomorrow but might have another struggle with the 16mm drill and the finally the 22mm drill later on weather permitting:-)

My mate turned up with what looks like the most fustrating contraption i have ever seen......A 22mm morse taper drill bit, and a morse taper with a nut welded on the end so you can put a socket on the end and turn it with an air ratchet, oh and the taper is baggy so the drill falls out. He says its very entertaining :rolleyes: Slow and steady wins the race with that one me thinks:)

Great to see you're back on the road Rob. Don't let the problem get you down mate. After so much hard graft getting her this far you can't give up now. Let us know how the repair goes. Daz

Having looked at the flange in depth now, there is the smallest barely detectable bit of play in the splines and i had to tap the flange most of the way off (then fell on my arse pulling it the last bit) Should i bother useing the loctite 660 or a thiner grade or fit it back as is? I can find no reason why the bolt should fail other than some arsehole had seriously overtightened the nut at some point as the nut is mullerd. I plan to tack the weld to the bolt to the flange so it can't undo. I am tempted to use the loctite 660 for piece of mind

That 22mm drill and morse taper /nut adapter sounds a great bodge :D

If the one you've been lent is really rough, you can pick a No.2 socket quite cheaply and make a new one up. Here's just one supplier:

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Morse-Taper-Extension-Socket-2-2-MT.html

I hate to think what an impact air gun would do to the drill bit :shocked:

That 22mm drill and morse taper /nut adapter sounds a great bodge :D

If the one you've been lent is really rough, you can pick a No.2 socket quite cheaply and make a new one up. Here's just one supplier:

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Morse-Taper-Extension-Socket-2-2-MT.html

I hate to think what an impact air gun would do to the drill bit :shocked:

need photos of this! :D:D:D

At that price it probably won't be very well hardened - if at all, so you should be able to weld a nut on with no hassle (low hydrogen rod or MIG should do it ok).

There are other types of No.2 socket about - might pay to look around, but some parallel outer sockets could be proper hard ones so be careful.

My dad used to use an old blacksmith's ratchet drill for everything on the old gravel plants, so it could be said you've never had it so good.........

I can see all sorts of fun and games under the truck this week:-| I'm still umming and arrring over the price of the loctite 660.....£30 odd with the postage:shocked: still if it stops the bugger falling off its a good thing:)

Sorry to see the set back your Scammell gave you . At least you had a good drive about to enjoy some of the fruits of all the labors to get it back on the road. Speaking of those , That vehicles sure does take up a FULL lane and with dodging the over hanging branches and close signs and buildings I can understand the need to have vehicle width limits over there !

I ll keep my fingers crossed that this latest problem can be solved satifactory so you can be out on the roads doing your part to replacate the driving scenes from "DUEL" .

Well i have a hole.....:D my arms are hanging off. Bloomin heck i've been shook to bits and flung round by the flippin thing. I never ever ever want to have anything to with a drill bit this big ever again unless it's firmly fixed in a large heavy piece if machinery.

Tomorrow I will mostly be tapping a inch whitworth thread, yey happy happy joy joypencil.png

broken 3.jpg

broken 4.jpg

broken 5.jpg

broken 6.jpg

Dont envy you one little bit drilling that hole in a gearbox shaft.

I have actually seen the same thing happen on a more modern truck. The day i past my HGV i went to near Alfreton to tow in a Scammell 8 wheeler for a cement company. When i got there it was causing chaos to other traffic. i put it on a pole and towed it about 4 miles to the next layby. It had a burnt out clutch. The driver had steering and brakes as we pulled into the layby there was an almighty bang and the truck stopped dead. When i looked around the truck the main shaft had sheared of exactly as your had done but the centre strap on the center bearing had broke and the whole prop shaft had come off and whipped round and knocked the air tanks off and punctured the fuel tanks. I was going to to the layby to remove the propshaft. I left home that afternoon king of the road i came home that night sick as a dog we had to stand the bill cos i never took the prop off before towing. It was the same gate change box??? this was late 70s

Edited by cosrec

Dont envy you one little bit drilling that hole in a gearbox shaft.

I have actually seen the same thing happen on a more modern truck. The day i past my HGV i went to near Alfreton to tow in a Scammell 8 wheeler for a cement company. When i got there it was causing chaos to other traffic. i put it on a pole and towed it about 4 miles to the next layby. It had a burnt out clutch. The driver had steering and brakes as we pulled into the layby there was an almighty bang and the truck stopped dead. When i looked around the truck the main shaft had sheared of exactly as your had done but the centre strap on the center bearing had broke and the whole prop shaft had come off and whipped round and knocked the air tanks off and punctured the fuel tanks. I was going to to the layby to remove the propshaft. I left home that afternoon king of the road i came home that night sick as a dog we had to stand the bill cos i never took the prop off before towing. It was the same gate change box??? this was late 70s

Not sure about the gearbox being the same but I'm sure it's very similar. Mine still has the remains of the transmission brake fitted which i think was the only thing stopping the whole lot sliding out of the box. Normally when the prop comes off an explorer it whips round and gives the transfer box a good beating normally smashing the cast mountings off the gearbox. Not forgetting that it's an overdrive box so the propshaft is getting on 4000rpm if the meadows petrol is still fitted and running flat out:shocked: These things are sent to test us.