Scammell Explorer (Big Jenny)

Can understand you are feeling a bit Tee'd off mate, but I wouldn't walk away from it yet after so much hard work and you're only just back on the road. As Bernard says a few days/weeks away gives you chance to think and swell the coffers a bit if any further outlay is needed.

I can understand how frustrating it must be to have done all that and still have something to worry about

Currently had mine 14 years and working at a snails pace, but just a little drive around the farm once or twice a year or a little bit more done on the road to restoration is enough to renew enthusiasm let me know I couldn't part with it.

By my reckoning Andy's Daisy will be due a second rebuild by the time mine's on the road :D

Time for a brew mate :coffee: Then even if you do replace it with something else, you know you've done it for the right reasons.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok anyone got a good spare diff???? How much am i looking at to purchase said diff....I can take it to work and use the crane to lift it up and rip the back axle out of it its only held on with 8 nuts.......Do the half shafts just pull out or are special tools needed.....If a good diff with a pump in it can be had for a 100 or 200 quid there might be hope. The only problem is that if you have a spare diff why would anybody sell one?......they might need it themselves a few years down the line? We'll have to see.....

Currently my options are 1...buy a diff and sort it out....not cheap:-(:-(

2... Swap said scammell for another lorry.....no chance in it's current state:-(:-(

3....Flog it and buy a zil or something....but it aint worth a light in its current state so no chance of getting a diesel zil or m35 reo.

4....Break the scammell for parts.....how many people need parts for a bloody scammell...

Have run mine for 11 years with no pump in axle. Harris fun fair is still worked theirs isnt fitted with pump either

Hmmmmmmmm........no pump eh.....Julian has a scammell called jumbo and his oil pump broke. He removed the cover plate from the rear of the diff where the oil pump is located then jacked the truck up and ran it up in top gear. he said it passed about a teaspoon of oil through the back pinion bearing after about 5 or ten mins, So some oil must get to thrown about in there......And with the oil hot i would have thought it would splash even more....

that was the only reason i fitted the engine driven pump to lube the thrust bearing.

Went out with a fresh head on tonight and between me and her indoors we managed to prime the pump up:-D I have now shut the cock and will leave it for a few days and see if it primes up next time.....I have put feelers out for a diff and might know where there is one but i need to contact the relavent people.

i guess the crown wheel will have been scuffed and chewed badly so even if i went to all the trouble of rebuilding it it would never run in the correct mesh (assuming it could be set up correctly in the first place) I think i'm going to run the bas*$£d as is till things get bad by which time i should have the cash to sort it out....:-X

Which brings me to another question....Lets say the diff gets REALLY bad.....I could pull the half shafts out and remove the propshaft and run her on the front axle:idea: Any thoughts on running at speed through the transposing box and front axle? I know loads of people have done it to get home when they have "shed" the rear prop but what about for the longer term? As means to stay on the fun side of scammell ownership

I thought i would port a couple of pictures of said engine driven axle oil pump bodge.....I might have gone overboard with the pump size but it seemed to work well. There is a feed to the worm drillings and the other feed goes to what was the flow from the oil pump. The kink in the copper pipe was supposed to be a temporary means of reducing flow to the bearing letting most of the flow go to the worm jets.... Something went wrong... And some more crappy mobile phone footage of it working...

2011-07-13 19.25.05.jpg

2011-07-13 19.25.32.jpg

2011-07-13 19.25.48.jpg

2011-07-13 19.26.13.jpg

Dont know about a "bodge" that pump and drive looks pretty professional. Strange how it wont self prime, or stay primed after a run.

If you are not going to try and rebuild it, might as well run it until it dies altogether. Enjoy the grin factor for as long as possible. Bearing in mind you dont do that many miles with it, it might soldier on for months/years before letting go. And, as you say there is always the option of front wheel drive to get you home

Went out with a fresh head on tonight and between me and her indoors we managed to prime the pump up:-D I have now shut the cock and will leave it for a few days and see if it primes up next time.....I have put feelers out for a diff and might know where there is one but i need to contact the relavent people.

i guess the crown wheel will have been scuffed and chewed badly so even if i went to all the trouble of rebuilding it it would never run in the correct mesh (assuming it could be set up correctly in the first place) I think i'm going to run the bas*$£d as is till things get bad by which time i should have the cash to sort it out....:-X

Which brings me to another question....Lets say the diff gets REALLY bad.....I could pull the half shafts out and remove the propshaft and run her on the front axle:idea: Any thoughts on running at speed through the transposing box and front axle? I know loads of people have done it to get home when they have "shed" the rear prop but what about for the longer term? As

to stay on the fun side of scammell ownership

You could turn the crown wheel around and run on the back face if you are that worried.

Running on the front axle for a long time the transfer box will get f#####g hot. And on big hills when the roads are wet you will loose grip(been there done that):cool2:

Hmmmm....Turn the crown wheel round eh..... Thats a thought.....See the main problem is to remove the axle in the first place its got to go to work where there is a nice handy mobile crane to lift the back end of the scammell up. I haven't got the room to do the job at home. i don't want to end up with a imobile Scammell stuck at work for months next to the seaside in the salty breeze. I'm going to run it round as is for now and might try to centrafuge the bronze out of the oil every so often. when funds improve i'll take it to work one weekend and bung a diff in it then have a look at salvageing the old one or weigh it in for scrap to recoup some cash back.

Hmmmm....Turn the crown wheel round eh..... Thats a thought.....See the main problem is to remove the axle in the first place its got to go to work where there is a nice handy mobile crane to lift the back end of the scammell up. I haven't got the room to do the job at home. i don't want to end up with a imobile Scammell stuck at work for months next to the seaside in the salty breeze. I'm going to run it round as is for now and might try to centrafuge the bronze out of the oil every so often. when funds improve i'll take it to work one weekend and bung a diff in it then have a look at salvageing the old one or weigh it in for scrap to recoup some cash back.

If you keep centrifuging out the bronze dust, you could weight most of the diff in bit by bit over the coming years. ;)

Bit like panning for gold which I believe used to be popular occupation up in the Welsh mountains.

Bronze was quite a good scrap price last I looked around 5 grand a tonne. :D

Problem with turning the crown wheel round as I can see is that you'll still be putting pressure on the bad face when on the over-run, say off the throttle going down hill. You could always solve that slight issue by keeping your foot in all the time and appreciate the exhaust note. :cool2:

To help with the priming you could try a small header tank. Most of the oil pumps we run at work are a similar type and they all have a small tank to give a nice smooth flow of oil to the inlet.

Ed

I phoned up about a spare diff today, The good news is the trucks still there Looking very sad. The bad news is its sank in to the mud in a forest, there is a great big generator on the back and there is no lifting gear at the sight. This one will have to be the back up plan if i can't find something a little easier to get at:undecided:

I phoned up about a spare diff today, The good news is the trucks still there Looking very sad. The bad news is its sank in to the mud in a forest, there is a great big generator on the back and there is no lifting gear at the sight. This one will have to be the back up plan if i can't find something a little easier to get at:undecided:

Would cutting the axle casing either side of the diff, work. Allowing the diff unit to drop to the floor and be dragged from under the truck? Obviously the halfshafts would have to be removed or cut also.

Mud? Forrest?...Where there's a will there's a way..we have every faith in you! Get round there and pull it out, your diff has enough life in it to do that..and plenty more!

Would cutting the axle casing either side of the diff, work. Allowing the diff unit to drop to the floor and be dragged from under the truck? Obviously the halfshafts would have to be removed or cut also.
Yep it would work but would take some burning. It might do the splits though with the weight of the generator on it and its on boggy ground which doesn't lend itself to jacking and blocking:-(

An dead Explorer stuck in a muddy forrest, sounds like a bit of a jolly to me.:D There must be someone within range of it that would be up for winching it out....

sounds like fun to me count me in well soon as mines on the road again that is :D

It's in Stafford.....:undecided: And the generator weighs about 3 or four tons:embarrassed: Driven off the Pto too.. Aparently he's got Martians rotting too..... Its the back up plan...:D

In Stafford ay, thats only ten miles from me but it would mean I would have to venture over to the dark side of Cannock Chase :D. You say there are Martian's as well, sounds an interesting place but I haven't seen them around.

Fired it up today to see if the pump would prime up, It didn't.....well not straight away. So i took it for a spin down to porthmadog anyway:-). I stopped in the garage for some fags and the pump was happily humming away and all the pipes were warm, So it had primed. Can't detect any play in the pinion or at all so i'm pretty sure the crown wheel must have end float in it. Also need to sort a fan cowl out cos we started to boil up on the way home, down in 3rd at full throttle after a mile long hill in 5th there was slight steaming.... So i did what any other Scammell owner would do and kept my foot in it till we got to the top :sweat:I need to look at the vacume relief valve thingy on the top of the rad cos it's not pressurizing the cooling system and that's where the bubbles were coming from. Another job to do i suppose. Glad the temp gauge is broke or i would have been worried:cool2:

Explorer Diffs;

It's late so if I'm off at a tangent, then forgive me...

Bowman oil cooler- It's a nice to have, but unless your doing major road work or hauling across the sahara, then they can be ran without... just pipe up the oil pump outlet to the diff oil feed.

Gear driven oil pump- Never, Never, Never, run the explorer any distance without a fully functioning oil pump!!! The rear bearing which carries the worm drive will not recive adequate lubrication, via 'splash lubrication' due to its position. I can vouch for this as I leart this lesson the hard way... :cry: Just for info the oil isnt feed at high pressure.... it's just a nice slow constant supply which increase with speed.

As for scored/marked bronze crown wheel... well so what, I haven't seen any that arn't. So long as you havent got any significant play in the worm bearings and you got some good thick greasy oil in there, I wouldn't worry. :cool2: