Scammell Explorer (Big Jenny)

Well i thought it was time i tried to start a restoration blog thingy.:wave:

The engine is now sat in the shed waiting for some love and i have just removed the clutch. Someone had been there before and i was expecting the worst (If the rest of the truck is anything to go by) but hey presto a new (as in not many miles) clutch plate!:wow:. A little bit of heat cracking on both pressure plate and flywheel but nothing to worry about.:pfrt: She won't be working hard and i have seen much worse on every muir hill tractor i have ever worked on. On the other note i stuck a leaver between the flywheel and housing an i can lever the crankshaft up and down about a 1mm confirming a knackerd bottom end.

Rob.

PS. I really need a bigger shed.

feet.jpg

rusty.jpg

flywheel.jpg

clutch small.jpg

engine general.jpg

Edited by rbrtcrowther
Due to a change in partner i don't really want my truck named after my ex

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wave:

Today i removed the starter motor... A five miniute job that to 2 f**&&*g Hours:argh: Slacken the pinch bolt and withdraw.... My arse! So decided to remove whole thing from bell housing as clamp was already cracked. Great... aluminium starter in aluminium housing for 50 od years with no engine side panels= slightly stuck. Starter has now been beaten into submision with wedges chisels and leavers ect.:angry

It would never have come off with the engine in the truck, no way..not a chance.

Also removed compresor and front pully at which point the front crankshaft oil seal fell out.:???(that explains the oil leak then):whistle:.Hey ho such is life!

:wave:

Today i removed the starter motor... A five miniute job that to 2 f**&&*g Hours:argh: Slacken the pinch bolt and withdraw.... My arse! So decided to remove whole thing from bell housing as clamp was already cracked. Great... aluminium starter in aluminium housing for 50 od years with no engine side panels= slightly stuck. Starter has now been beaten into submision with wedges chisels and leavers ect.:angry

It would never have come off with the engine in the truck, no way..not a chance.

bin there done that got the welds on the houseing to prove it i did mine in the truck and wishd there was an easyr way . but thers not

ive got those pics for you rob ill put them up in my blog later

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well finally after sorting the car and land rover out ( the car had no brakes and i keep breaking the land rover every time i off road it:drive:)

I am now flat out on the Scammell engine So long as we don't arrange any more off road days out.

I have removed the crank from the diesel today. The bearings are gone and the crank has groves like you've never seen. Its also bloomin heavy:shocked:

Tomorrows task is to plonk the petrol crank in with it's shells throw the sump at it in double check the timing. I really have to get it right as the timing gears are behind the flywheel and i think there would be tears if i got it wrong:banghead:

Here are some pics i will try to post more :whentitsdone:

IMG_0770.JPG

IMG_0772.JPG

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0769.JPG

IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

No rumble at all... Sounded sweet as a nut. Mabey cos the crank was so heavy? Just a compleat lack of oil pressure:-( And a broken main bearing stud.

That crank has already had one regrind in 1957. To be honest due to the lack of parts availability for this engine if this epic crankshaft swap is a waste of time i will have to lob it in the bin and fit a leyland 680. I know where ther are 27 of them in a row at the last count!

No rumble at all... Sounded sweet as a nut. Mabey cos the crank was so heavy? Just a compleat lack of oil pressure:-( And a broken main bearing stud.

That crank has already had one regrind in 1957. To be honest due to the lack of parts availability for this engine if this epic crankshaft swap is a waste of time i will have to lob it in the bin and fit a leyland 680. I know where ther are 27 of them in a row at the last count!

that is a good and easy engine to fit:-D

Well today i went and did battle with the crankshaft:beatenup:and after much struggle it is now fitted. There is only about an 8th of an inch clearence between the ballance weights and the block also the crank will only come out in one position. (if you have an explorer workshop manual feel free to read up on crankshaft removal with heads still on. )

Have had lots of help from little Jenny all weekend who provided tea toast and cleaned all the bits and even helped fit crank. she also tightened the bolts for the sump.(there are quite a few).

so we now have a diesel engine with a petrol crank and a petrol sump and oil pump scavenge system from engines built 20 years apart. fingers crossed.:nut:

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0781.JPG

IMG_0788.JPG

Have you cleaned out the inside of that block with anything?

Looks remarkably gunge free for an old engine! Also looks promising for the condition of other parts even if the crank was poorly.

No but she had vairious oil changes and flushes to try and get to the bottom of the oil pressure problem. And i got little Jenny to wipe out the crank case with some rag.:)

I don't want to go to town on the engine with paint ect incase it still has issues.

Will try to stand it up tonight and start on the timing case ect.:sweat:

We're all fingers crossed here Robert, although Unless the balance is different it should be OK. Those pickup pipes are a b***er aren't they, nice to have help though!

yes the pickup pipes are a b***er and all the nuts and bolts were wired up or had teeny tiny split pins.:noyay:

yes the pickup pipes are a b***er and all the nuts and bolts were wired up or had teeny tiny split pins.:noyay:

That one looks ideally placed to take a piece out of your missus' head as well. :shake:

There would've been no more help for a while then.

Just got in after checking the valve timing...Good god what an utter pain in the b**hole:banghead: All my timing marks line up perfect but i thought it would be a good idea to double check the valve timing as per the manual. So out with the diesel manual and all the tedious steps were followed to the letter. Oh dear....Oh dear oh dear. nothing like what it was supposed to be. I was now stressed double checking the timing marks and the timing charts in the book.:readbook: (A meadows diesel de-compresses on the inlet valve for extra confusion)

2 hours later still no joy and i am now deeply stressed as i can't run the engine on the floor cos of the oil cooler and filter situation, and all the timing gears are behind the flywheel....clutch.....bellhousing.ect so if it's wrong the engine will have to come out again.

Just When all seemed lost I had a look at the explorer manual for the petrol engine that showed another way of checking valve timing (great just what i need>:() But more importantly another valve timing chart! with different over laps ect. So back to job in hand and hey presto valve timing now makes sence(i think, but to be honset i've compleatly lost the plot by this point) and is all in the right place.

It is at this point i noticed that the diesel book looks alot older than the explorer book. Also there is a brass plate on the engine... Engine recondishend 1953 and bought up mark 9c specification. So i am now 99.99 percent sure that the camshaft was revised to give a greater (flexibility) on later engines. I'll just have to wait and see if the damn thing runs ok.

Old engines.....old books....old up grades= a great deal of stress.:cry:

• 3 weeks later...
Al back together and sat in it's stand in the garage. having trouble getting the rear crankshaft oil seal but think ive found one now. Then i will throw the flywheel and clutch at it then plonk it in the truck.:)

Good luck Rob ! I have everything crossed ! :-D

• 3 weeks later...

New seals have arrived and are now fitted. Clutch and flywheel are on bellhousig too. Front seal and housing, crankpully, compressor, ect the old donkey is now ready to go back in.:sweat: just got to clean the chassis and all the nuts and bolts. Mabey plonk it in next weekend if i have time and good weather.:clap: