Scammell Explorer (Big Jenny)

At least you can se the nests! Work on the LWB Land Rover suspended. Blue tits nesting INSIDE the rear cross member!

Damn nature getting in the way:embarrassed: I refitted the two rear wheels on one side then had to turn the truck round to get the other ones off the other side. The little chicks seemed to enjoy their little shunt round the yard and now have a better view of the hillside:D The parents seem to have adjusted to the new location and work on the truck can carry on. Two more tyres off tomorrow and whip the hubs off, change the seals,drink beer:cool2:

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn nature getting in the way:embarrassed: I refitted the two rear wheels on one side then had to turn the truck round to get the other ones off the other side. The little chicks seemed to enjoy their little shunt round the yard and now have a better view of the hillside:D The parents seem to have adjusted to the new location and work on the truck can carry on. Two more tyres off tomorrow and whip the hubs off, change the seals,drink beer:cool2:

Hard work but good progress Rob , I couldn't tackle anything like that any more, I could fancy tackling the beer:beer: but the b----y medics forbid it on pain of death:argh:

Bloomin compressor decided to pack up today so spent most of the day wedged under the bench farting about with the unloader valve on that. then the air line split:angryso had to boge that, and to top it off the bloomin air wrench clogged up with perished rubber from said air line so i had to strip that down.:argh: Bloomin workshop air system turned against me:shake: So after all that i only managed to get the old tyres off the rims (well i say off the rims but there is a lot of the bead still left on the rim) the two i just removed were really stuck> i had to go roung once to break the bead and twice to jack the rim out of the tyre. Even worse news is i've run out of beer and have had to move on to the wine:-X Forcast rain tomorrow so will be in shed scaling and painting the rims ready for the replacement tyres.(which are still on the other rims.....God it's never ending:embarrassed:) I will have removed 10 tyres and fitted 5 when i'm done.

I will have 5 rims for sale soon, not sure what they fit but are very deep dished in fact deep enough to run them back to back as duel wheels and were fitted with 1400 r 20 tyres. They are not bolt together type but have a removable flange that is good for launching tyre leavers accross the yard. I will pop them on the for sale section soon but i think one needs a repair to the stud holes from clumsy gas cutting of wheel nuts.

• 3 months later...

Been a while since i posted anything up but i have been trying:blush: I now have rear lights fitted and front indicators, butler side lights and a flashing beacon! The land rover halogen replacement headlamps fit nicely into the military housings. not fitted yet but should be nice and bright and they even have little side lights built in:-) Anyway progress is on hold again cos the landy is in a thousand bits and the welder is in full swing on the bulkhead:iamsmiling:

i hope the air horn u are fitting rob will be up to explorer standard :cool2:

i will apolagise for my abscence from the forum lately been busy working and out scammelling.

how much longer before u will be hitting the road ?

i am trying to talk some other like minded explorer owners into makeing the treck to llandudno next year after all the road miles i have covered this year i just have this uncontrollable urge to do even more :-D

nick

Edited by younggun

There isn't a horn big enough to overcome the loudness of the exhaust so i'm just fitting a tiddler. Anyway the larger the horn the smaller the pe$is or so they tell me:cool2: still wireing up the lights now the landy has been beaten into submission.

jobs left to do are electrics, mirrors, adjust the brakes, fit a return on the injectors cos is just leaks on the floor at the mo,change the oil in the back axle. will sort out the rear timber work as and when so will be running light for a while.

at present i have no log book ect but the scammell is on the dvla data base as a blue scammell recovery truck ( i found the reg number on an old tax disc) It is on a Q plate with a build date of 1983 i think:nut: Pretty sure no chassis number is recorded

whats the best way to go about this sort of thing? I want to tax it as historic and it will have to be changed to locomotive. Should i give them a ring about sorting out the current reg number or is it best to start from scratch? Should i ask for a log book then try and sort out the age thing and clasification?

What forms do i need to sort it all out? arrrgh i hate this sort of thing:cry:

Same goes for bonnet length.........glad I've not got a DT!..:D

If they have no chassis number recorded, and you haven't written to them yet, I would be thinking not mentioning the disc ever again and starting afresh in order to get an age related number, pre 1960 rules!

Why Locomotive?

Edited by gritineye

Huge milestone today:D Fitted the headlights and wired them up. Might not seem like much but i had forgot how good it looks with its face on:wow: And no danger of any Andy andy related light bending either (But there is a slight chance the front wheels might chomp them off on full articulation and full lock:red: We we have to check that out me thinks)

Was so impressed i had to stand in front of it tonight and stare at the super bright halogen newness. Its even got side lights in the headlamps now:cool: how posh it that? And all for £20. they arn't quite the same as the military bowls but seem to fit with a little shuffeling( to get them in the center of the housing rubbers....they are a tiny bit smaller i think unless the military ones are the same)

P.s not good to stare into a pair of halogen lights then try and walk accross a dark yard and over wire fence especially when the cat and dog have got a bag on cos they haven't been fed.....compleat arse over tit moment:nut:

Started wiring the inside up tonight all is coming together well even the trips work in the isolater box. just cleaning the Prince of darkness dip switch and decided it was far to chilly and the wood stove in the garage had gone out:embarrassed:. So near to a road run now really need to get the paper work sorted:nut:

• 5 weeks later...

All is now sorted apart from a pair of mirrors:D ( The timber work on the rear will be sorted as and when i have the funds so for now it will be running a tad light)

Halogen headlights with side lights built in, indcators, Butler sidlights,flashing beacon and even a window wiper thingy:cool2: Had too much electricty at first 32 volts made the lights very bright:wow: Have reset the regulator box to about 27 volts, it will hold this down to a fast tick over. tick over gives about 25volts and will hold this when light are turned on. Voltage rises back to 27 volts with revs and everything turned on. Is this ok? not had much experience with dynamos and the truck has a Bosh regulator box fitted in place of the scammell unit but the same shaft driven dynamo is fitted. It's easy to adjust the output just wonder what the best setting is without boiling batterys. Any thoughts?

Edited by rbrtcrowther

• 2 weeks later...

Got a forms from the DVLA today to apply for an age related number plate I also have no log book either. Anyhoo the man form the scammell register says all i need to do is send him a V55 ( don't seem to be able to find one of those so i assume it a V55/5 i need) together with a V765 and the chassis number and he will sort it all out. There are many parts of the V55/5 that i dont know know the answers too.. is this normal?:blush: I've been dreading this paperwork since i bought the bloomin thing without a log book:embarrassed: He says the registers records are a not compleat but he will have a look or give me the number of some military museum to try them.

Just incase any one can help the Vehicle number is 35 BC 75

Chassis number 7081

Contract number 3724

If there is going to be one scammell missisng from the records you can bet it's going to mine and i'll end up having to pay bloomin road tax:embarrassed:

• 2 months later...

Still waiting for the Scammell register to get back with some news of my registration but i geuss they are looking for the build details to get an age related plate. I did phone Footman James for an insurance quote and they said £140 fully comp which i thougt was ok looking out the window at the 12 tons of it sitting there. Not quite sure why they wanted to know what size engine was in it:nut: Its not like its a hot rod:cheesy: