Scammell Explorer (Big Jenny)

Lets go back in time a bit.....to where it all started....:) The cab floor, doors,roof,sides, ect ect were all rotten so i made some new ones. It was my first attempt at sheet metal work and i made the lot out of 1.6mm sheet steel so it might be the heaviest explorer in the world:laugh:

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:clap::clap: Congratulations on the award, well deserved.:clap::clap: There's a lot of us have been following this thread for a long time watching you achieve so much with the old girl.

I've been to Llanberis/Snowdon and know how "interesting" the roads are round there. It will be a substantial test for her, have faith, though, it's a Scammell, might be slow but it will get there in the end

The window frames were rotten so i knocked some up out of flat steel strap. They don't have the same profile being flat but should last a few years. I just welded tags on the back then slid the glass in on some sealer before fitting them in the scammell. Sorry i keep forgetting to flip the bloomin pictures round:red:

scan0009.jpg

scan0010.jpg

The doors were rotten from the waist down but the window parts inside were ok. I basically removed the skin from the lower part of the door then re fabricated the lower part of the frame. The top of the door was just saveable thankfully , I then reskinned the door bottoms with the 1.6mm sheet which was hellish to crimp round the frame:-( I even found some correct rivets for the job

scan0011.jpg

scan0012.jpg

scan0013.jpg

Did you get the rivets from any particular company Rob or were you lucky enough to find them? Repanelling the cab and doing the doors is my next job and it would be useful to have an idea where to find some. Ta. Darren

Haven't looked for the rivets yet cos i'm running round flapping trying to make sure i have double checked every part that could go wrong on my first long run:shake: Got butterflies already and i'm not leaving till the morning:cheesy: Just put £120 in the tank and it's only quarter full>:( I hope it wll take me 50 miles. Wish me luck.

Had to laugh this morning when my award came:rofl: Fantastic......Wish me luck:-D

A couple more pics of work done in the past.......

There are some differences between the first contract Scammells and the later ones. One being the Gutters, Most of the later scammells i have seen have very large gutters about 2 or 3 inches deep but mine were very small and of two piece design. I can't remember how they were held together but i riveted them. All the folds were done with a number 5 denbigh fly press with a 18" vee block and wedge from a large folding machine.The hardest fold was the one above the windscreen which was done by passing the piece back and forth. My dad made alot of extra cash after work with this old press making parts for the Austin 7 club such as handbreak leavers and bonnet catches. i still have the tools and many boxes of parts. Also wonderd why most Scammells have a large sheet of steel sticking up above the windscreen, mine just had a aluminium trim strip which i replaced with a lenth of steel about 13mm by8mm and cold bent it the hard way....It looks great and is my favorite part of the cab but nobody ever notices it:embarrassed:

scan0014.jpg

scan0015.jpg

scan0016.jpg

A picture of the sort of done cab with the fresh screen..... and then i found out the engine was dying.....Here i am wondering why there is no oil getting to the rockers......It was because it was all honking out of the main bearings which had compleatly failed:embarrassed: And that is where this this blog started with me removing the engine:D And finding HMVF and all the friends on here:iloveyou::thanx:

scan0017.jpg

scan0018.jpg

Nice set of pictures of the panel work and windows etc. Does that mine plough thing on the front have a real purpose? It looks like it folds down to dig in like a winch spade?

Fitted in Civilian ownership it is a ground anchor for winching. Although in complete disregard of the manual which says rigging the winch to come out of front rollers, rather then to the rear, is only to be used for self recovery, and not to be used for the recovery of other vehicles.........

Fitted in Civilian ownership it is a ground anchor for winching. Although in complete disregard of the manual which says rigging the winch to come out of front rollers, rather then to the rear, is only to be used for self recovery, and not to be used for the recovery of other vehicles.........

Knowing the same rules apply to my Militant, that is why I asked the question. I presume the Scammell has a similar setup with a rear mounted roller to guide the rope around, then along the chassis.

Is there any recommendation for maximum single line pull when using the winch out the front? All I can seem to find is "to be used for self-recovery only". No hard facts and figures :readbook:

Edited by daz76
useless spelling

Is there any recommendation for maximum single line pull when using the winch out the front? All I can seem to find is "to be used for self-recovery only". No hard facts and figures :readbook:

Just looked in my Militant handbook, it is worded slightly differently, says "should not be used to unditch another vehicle" but it then goes on to explain the cut out device which should stop the engine if the pull exceeds 7 ton, which is the winch capacity. So in theory at least you can't hurt the thing by winching from the front