Scammell Explorer (Big Jenny)

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure the seal question has been discussed on here before but can't remember the general opinion now, the ones on mine were fitted with inside lip in and outside lip out, so work both to keep oil in and water out.

My first go at undoing the hub nut involved tightening a big vice on it (without the bench) putting a 12 ft scaffold pole though the hole below the jaws and jumping on it...yes......... the vice broke it two!

I think my only boob was i havent marked the hub in relation to the taper:blush: I can only be 180 degrees out i suppose unless someone else has marked it. the nut, taper and hub are center popped to keep them all together and there is a scribe on the nut and shaft to show when tight. I will just have to hope the taper is well machined:-|

Some bright spark had previously mixed all my hubs, keys and nuts up when replacing them, I replaced them in the right order and paint marked the nuts when tight, took the hub caps off a few times since to check for movement.......:shake:

I think my only boob was i havent marked the hub in relation to the taper:blush: I can only be 180 degrees out i suppose unless someone else has marked it. the nut, taper and hub are center popped to keep them all together and there is a scribe on the nut and shaft to show when tight. I will just have to hope the taper is well machined:-|

Robert,

There should be a straight key in the shaft.

I'll give it all a good clean tomorrow. I have two keys per taper which is good nothing missing there:-) just worried about fitting the hub 180 degrees out:-|. still i can always weld the nut up like the one on Nick's scammell to stop it unscrewing:rofl:

I have two keys per taper which is good nothing missing there:-)

Obviously a high power mod, never seen that, every set of parts should be numbered with a different number, at least they where on mine, the last bloke never spotted that though..:nut:

Obviously a high power mod, never seen that, every set of parts should be numbered with a different number, at least they where on mine, the last bloke never spotted that though..:nut:

Ours has two keys per hub, and this is as it is in the book...

Cheers Mike. Was oil leaking out of the lower brake pin all the time? My hubs only leak when the truck has moved so i think only the seals are leaking but just wondering.

Leaking all the time, but just pulling and pushing the fulcrum pin allowed you to feel movement, if it is loose (or just try to turn it. if it will spin, it is loose!!!.

Ours has two keys per hub, and this is as it is in the book...

Maybe I read that as two keys per key way, or summat... :nut:...welcome to my world of diminishing faculties, no way I'm taking one of mine off to check though!

Cleaned up the back plate and fulcrum pin is all ok. Fitted the new seals nice and simple. and took the brake shoes to work and steam cleaned all the oily nastyness off them, they came up really well so i have fitted them back to the backplate. All went Really well tonight for a change. Tomorrow if the weather is ok i'll whack the cam back in and plonk the hub back on.

I have been dreading this job since i got the Scammell only to find it is a piece of pi** to pop the hubs on and off if you have the right tools.

Don.t suppose any one has a hub puller for sale do they? it's a pain having to drive 50 odd miles to borrow Bills:yawn:

my my we have been a busy body these last weeks gd work rob now u have took the lead in the removal of hubs it is safe for me to start on my hub seal this weekend after i have delt with the troublesome pigion poo welding :argh:

sorry i didant make an appearance at llandudno this year rob i was out with the explorer a litle closer to home but not much tho .

also floyd is running better than ever now after checking the pump over some one had screwd the fuel down so much that the cold start wouldant click in thats y i could never get it too work . nice little bit of black smoke when pulling hard cat weazzel would be proud , goes better now with the living trailer on the back than it ever did solo ,

Edited by younggun

Glad to here Floyd's running better. I must look up the timing info for you. The rear hubs amd the brakes really arn't hard to do at all but that hub puller is a serious piece of kit. If i had to make one i would machine it out of a solid lump. May even have to machine the bolt fot it too. Not sure you would find bolt that big in halfords:nut:

Hub back on no drama as it had all been marked up by someone else:D would have taken a picture but not much to see really. One down and three to go but have to get land ready for a steam rally this weekend so time for a quick break.:yawn:

• 2 weeks later...

Well the hubs are both back on and sorted:D I now have a problem with the bloomin tyres. The crane outrigger is ok for removing the knackerd tyres but not so good on the tyres i need refit to my Scammell wheels. It squashes the side walls too much and i don't want to damage them.

Before i go down the tyre fitters to get them removed (they are the type with the removable ring) Any one suggest a cheap bead breaker ect.

Well the hubs are both back on and sorted:D I now have a problem with the bloomin tyres. The crane outrigger is ok for removing the knackerd tyres but not so good on the tyres i need refit to my Scammell wheels. It squashes the side walls too much and i don't want to damage them.

Before i go down the tyre fitters to get them removed (they are the type with the removable ring) Any one suggest a cheap bead breaker ect.

This is the type I used mate ! Handed down from Dad but still available new !

50321.jpg

Same here Andy. and sh...........t loads of soapy water. 14lb sledge aswell

Clive

protruckservices.com

Soapy water makes a hell of a difference as you say Clive and with the sledge nothings gonna defeat you ! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Have "Borrowed" the hydraulic pump from work and had a go at removing the tyres off the rims i don't need ready to fit on the scammell rims. The bead breaker is bonkers. popped the bead off in about 10 mins on the first one. it took longer to leaver the one piece rim off. then i tried the scammell tyre that beat the crane, a rock hard thing of more than 18 plys, 2 mins and the shallow center popped out:shocked: i think 20 mins will have the other side off. If i had an air over hydraulic pump i could have a stubbern tyre off in about 1 min. just takes ages to pump by hand:-X

I was pottering about on the truck tonight fitting an air horn and discoverd a family of blue tits nesting in the end of the jib:flowers:

So far I've had a blackbird nest on the starter, four robins nests in the chassis at the same time, one mate had his top hose off a wren promptly nested in the coffee pot, which sort of spoilt the season for him till they flew.

Another mate (yep two!) had starlings nested in his Hyab, they ignored the movement and just kept feeding while he worked, not sure how the chicks hung on though!

If i had an air over hydraulic pump i could have a stubbern tyre off in about 1 min. just takes ages to pump by hand:-X

Don't worry about how long it takes as long as it don't hurt..