Scammell Explorer (Big Jenny)

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is a danger of twisting the chassis winching hard out the font or at least if the pull is not straight breaking the fairlead casting off. there are two extra cross members welded under the front of mine which may have helped the chassis put up with the abuse. I just like the look of it now and it makes removing the engine very easy as i can just put one jack under the front.

Oh by the way i'm home:-D and what a weekend....Super weather, great company, beer, camping and playing with with steam locomotives till very late. Plonked on at 25mph all the way, nothing go too hot and i had great fun. They roll when they warm up don't they :D The whole thing is like a different truck and the old Meadows seemed to wake up after a few good miles, I only dropped out of top twice on the way there and three of four times on the way home. And the fuel ecomomey is much better:-D:-D:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I'm pretty sure the book says somewhere that you can winch at 90 degrees out the left had side as that pully keeps the rope clear of the chassis but less on the drivers side. I'll dig it out and have a read of the drivers hand book to make sure.

I think there is a danger of twisting the chassis winching hard out the font or at least if the pull is not straight breaking the fairlead casting off. there are two extra cross members welded under the front of mine which may have helped the chassis put up with the abuse. I just like the look of it now and it makes removing the engine very easy as i can just put one jack under the front.

Oh by the way i'm home:-D and what a weekend....Super weather, great company, beer, camping and playing with with steam locomotives till very late. Plonked on at 25mph all the way, nothing go too hot and i had great fun. They roll when they warm up don't they :D The whole thing is like a different truck and the old Meadows seemed to wake up after a few good miles, I only dropped out of top twice on the way there and three of four times on the way home. And the fuel ecomomey is much better:-D:-D:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

glad shes running well rob they are a compleatly diffrent truck when there warm . u will also find the weather makes a big difrence in the old meadows mine would go like a rocket ship and a cool damp day but on a hot day forget it u mite aswell walkj :-D:-D

Really pleased you had a good weekend Rob ! Living the dream !:D I had fun fiddling about with Daisy while a Spitfire performed overhead for a show at London City Airport ! Thats what life is made for mate ! :nut: What other shows are now in the pipeline now shes on the button ? :D

Don't think there is anything local to me for the rest of the year:-( So i'll just have to make do with pup runs and jollies to the seaside.I also really need to fit a new boiler in the log burner and sort the rest of the kitchen. But i can always jump in the scammell and go for a spin. I will try to get some timber on the back this winter. I havent dared look at the rear axle oil yet to check for bronze dust:shake: Hearing is slowly returning.

Really pleased you had a good weekend Rob ! Living the dream !:D I had fun fiddling about with Daisy while a Spitfire performed overhead for a show at London City Airport ! Thats what life is made for mate ! :nut: What other shows are now in the pipeline now shes on the button ? :D

well if you've been tinkering with Daisy where's the pictures and the update..........hmm......well.....:???

well if you've been tinkering with Daisy where's the pictures and the update..........hmm......well.....:???

Not much to show mate just fitting a few bits back on and hoping they are going back in the right order so I don't ever have to take em off again ! That'll be my son Fred's job when I'm too passed it , hopefully ! :-D

u will also find the weather makes a big difrence in the old meadows mine would go like a rocket ship and a cool damp day but on a hot day forget it u mite aswell walkj :-D:-D

All engines are a bit like that, some more than others. In laymans terms, cooler air is thicker makes the fuel (petrol or diesel) burn better. That's why a lot of motors have intercoolers these days. cools the air as it passes into the engine.

Right.... The bloomin oil drained out of my axle oil pump and it has a job priming up due to the 15 foot of pipe it has to suck the oil through (it's bloomin hard i know cos i had to do it in the car park....and i got a gob full:-() so i want to fit a full flow ball valve in the feed pipe near the axle so i can shut it off when the truck is parked up. We have them at work but they have a nylon bit in then to help the stainless ball seal......Will this nylon be ok with the hot oil of is it likely to melt ect..... I also plan to fit an air to oil cooler but at no point has the oil got hotter than the bottom hose of the radiator...so if the bowman was fitted my oil would be no cooler than it is running now without any cooling. Can the oil be over cooled?

Robert,

What about fitting a one way valve in the pick-up line to stop the oil draining back. It'll stop the flow draining back to the axle and fully automatic no chance of forgetting to open the valve. Admittedly it will restrict the flow to the pump though very slightly, there's also the chance that over time debris may prevent it fully sealing but they're fairly cheap.

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p14711/ACCUSUMP-OIL-ACCUMULATOR-ONE-WAY-CHECK-VALVE/product_info.html

Are you filtering the oil from the axle before it gets to the pump? An in-line visible filter would also give you a good indication of the amount of bronze dust being produced over time.

Right.... The bloomin oil drained out of my axle oil pump and it has a job priming up due to the 15 foot of pipe it has to suck the oil through (it's bloomin hard i know cos i had to do it in the car park....and i got a gob full:-() so i want to fit a full flow ball valve in the feed pipe near the axle so i can shut it off when the truck is parked up. We have them at work but they have a nylon bit in then to help the stainless ball seal......Will this nylon be ok with the hot oil of is it likely to melt ect..... I also plan to fit an air to oil cooler but at no point has the oil got hotter than the bottom hose of the radiator...so if the bowman was fitted my oil would be no cooler than it is running now without any cooling. Can the oil be over cooled?

They seem to take some priming! I'm not sure if they just wear and fail owing to lack of lubrication, or on one of ours the pump shaft with the gear on had sheared. When I fitted a spare I made a simple adaptor to fit the holes in the pump gear, and wound it over with an electric drill. It certainly wasn't instant, and in the end I think I tipped oil down the outlet pipe to get it going. I should have a look one day soon to check whether it's still actually working!

Glad your getting out and about, and the locals are enjoying it too!

Jules

Just had a look at the rear axle oil and guess what the bloomin dust is back in the oil:-( Only a slight trace bu its back....And you know what, i don't care....it's been in there 61 years and if it wears out i'll have a front wheel drive scammell. I'll cross that bridge when i get to to it:undecided:

Robert,

What about fitting a one way valve in the pick-up line to stop the oil draining back. It'll stop the flow draining back to the axle and fully automatic no chance of forgetting to open the valve. Admittedly it will restrict the flow to the pump though very slightly, there's also the chance that over time debris may prevent it fully sealing but they're fairly cheap.

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p14711/ACCUSUMP-OIL-ACCUMULATOR-ONE-WAY-CHECK-VALVE/product_info.html

Are you filtering the oil from the axle before it gets to the pump? An in-line visible filter would also give you a good indication of the amount of bronze dust being produced over time.

No filter at the moment....When the oil is cold it's so thick it's like treacle so i really can't afford ant restrictions in the line.. This axle problem is such an issue i'll never forget to open the valve.

I'm currently running an SAE 140 grade mineral oil that is suitable for some gearboxes, compressors, and four stroke engines...... I got it from my mate saying it must be suitable for phospher bronze gears and they use it on their steam engines which are coverd in bronze bearings and bushes...

I fitted the valve when i got home tonight but can't get the pump to prime up:-( I'm pretty sure the bronze bits in the oil have damaged the pump so i won't pull the oil up. I can't be worrying about this pump everytime i take the scammell for a spin>:( Even if i fit the correct pump in the axle the same will happen to that.

I no longer have it in me to start hoiking the axle out from under the truck to find out what's gone wrong.......There is slight pitting on the crown wheel seen through the drain plug:embarrassed: Even if the worm is only out of mesh slightly it must have worn the crown wheel. If i were to go into great strip down and adjustment i would still have to find a pump for the axle plus any other bearings ect and funds are just too tight.....And i can't be arsed.....Its no fun anymore. I love driving it but its marred by the fact that this axle thing take the edge off it.

It's looking pretty likely that it's going up for sale.......i may get another large vehicle......Always wanted a militant mk3 recovery or a Something Russian...... With easy parts availability. I need to sleep on it for a little while but if you have any idea what it's worth in it's current state give me a clue......It stands me at about £7000 to date...

Just leave it for a while, I felt the same after so many times being towed home with broken petrol lumps, didn't go near it for over a year!

As always Bernard wise words ! When I read your last post Rob I had no idea what I could say to help ! The old lorry needs someone with your grit and determination to keep her away from the cutting torch mate ! Regards Andy :red:

Stick with it! I bought mine in bits, part done with one for spares, and thought it would be quite quick, easy, and relatively cheap to get together. I've had it over ten years, it's been on the road 6 years, it's still not finished, the floor of the rear body needs replacing as it's rotten again, the alternator has packed up, and I stopped counting the cost 3 years ago!

There isn't a better buzz than getting out and driving one and seeing other peoples reactions, and hearing all the stories from people who have driven/owned them. As you've already found the grin factor is great!

Personally I'd not worry too much about the lack of oil pump. I think it's essential if like the Army you are towing heavy lorries daily it's there to feed the oil heat exchanger to cool the oil, but solo running I don't think there is the same requirement.

Obviously there is an issue with your differential, presumeably through previous abuse? Run it as it is. Keep track of mileage, and change the oil when you see fit. How many miles do you intend driving a year? What's the worst scenario? A blown diff. Prepare for that and track down a spare in the meantime. There are spare ones around so change/fix it when required, and when your bucket full of enthusiasm topped up.

Jules