2009 - what are your goals???!!

Jack

Looks like we all coughed and sneezed our way through the back end of 2008. Many are pleased to kiss the year goodbye:sweat:

Without doubt 2009 will have many challenges for all us. You can't just wait this one out, an entire new economy is developing - presenting new challenges and opportunities all requiring new lines of thought and shift in our mindsets. Since the media has scared the hell out of everyone with regards to the economy my advice is to keep away from any form of news - it will suck all of your energy out leaving you depressed and deflated and scared. So since we don't dare invest our money anywhere, you might as well invest it in yourself, your know how, your self improvement and in life. There are some great times and opportunities to be had - lets grab them!

So, new year, new start. What are your resolutions, targets, goals and dreams for 2009??

You sound like you have been to some sort of Guru Jack?!

We are doing some heavy marketing at the minute, experimenting with different and seeing some positive results. 3 out of the past 4 months have been up on last year.

hopefully with car dealers/main agents going to the wall we will see a rise in people keeping their old cars- good for us.

On the other hand I need some armour! So Im going down the cheap and cheerful route of looking out for a well priced Ferret, something mid priced running that needs cosmetic or minor work to finish.

Getting the jeep chassis and tub sandblasted and cracking on with that hopefully.

Getting the Morris cab completed by the end on Jan.

Lastly haved bboked time off to go to War and Peace this year-at long last!

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Jacks right about the news,keep away,I am going to write a book about all these new opportunities Jack speaks about,when he tells me what they are.sell it all my troubles will be over.I suppose if you live in a cardboard box under london bridge, the only way is up.if like a lot of us you are contracted legally and not a limited co,all we can do is keep paying rents and rates till leases etc are over.Of course my Landlord is going to drop my rent because its more difficult to rent places now isnt it,and the councill is going to do the same as the rentable value decreases,Tell you what i wont hold my breath.Jack believes his glass is still half full not half empty.i still want to know who stole my half (credit to NOS)I admire Jacks enthusiasm ,coupled with hard work can result in success.It does however rely on being a lot less incumbered than a lot of us are at present.Degsy said it ..survival.

Lose weight, enjoy the frugal lifestyle we already have, enjoy watching the kids grow up as i work from home for meself... and (i have to confess) enjoy watching the 200 year old newspaper that i used to work for go to the wall through greedy management and greedier owners.

We visited extended family in London over Xmas and had one relative explain how both their jobs were in peril and facing an uncertain future. Then literally in the next breath said what do you think of the new car (a BRAND new VW Golf in the driveway!!). They could not see why we were laughing! There's bad luck and there's bad decisions...put them together and...

Jacks right about the news,keep away,I am going to write a book about all these new opportunities Jack speaks about,when he tells me what they are.sell it all my troubles will be over.I suppose if you live in a cardboard box under london bridge, the only way is up.if like a lot of us you are contracted legally and not a limited co,all we can do is keep paying rents and rates till leases etc are over.Of course my Landlord is going to drop my rent because its more difficult to rent places now isnt it,and the councill is going to do the same as the rentable value decreases,Tell you what i wont hold my breath.Jack believes his glass is still half full not half empty.i still want to know who stole my half (credit to NOS)I admire Jacks enthusiasm ,coupled with hard work can result in success.It does however rely on being a lot less incumbered than a lot of us are at present.Degsy said it ..survival.

Cheer up CW!! We all have a story to tell in one shape or form. And just so you don’t think that I am being naive in my mind set I will just give you just a little insight in to my past – into my story.

I have been there myself. In the last recession, I lost my house and became homeless – this is not such a big deal but it is when you have 2 young children and one on the way. I started a business selling billhooks to fellow woodsmen – I built that company from selling billhooks to then supplying to names like Amazon, Blacks, Millets, Field and Trek, the BBC, ASDA, Tesco, the biggest mail order company in the UK and Europe. We supplied 22 regiment and many other special forces with a whole range of outdoor and survival gear. I built that company from nothing to 48 hours away from 1 million pound in 3 years – then lost it all. As a family we have been evicted and been so poor that the only thing we had to eat was what we shot and butchered ourselves – this was rural poverty at its best and in some places still happens.

What gets me up and at it again? I have never allowed myself to become a victim. And I love life and there is always someone around the corner who has a bigger story to tell.

Even if I dropped dead tomorrow I am happy in the knowledge that I have had a good life.

A positive mindset will work better than a negative one. You want to do what I do twice a day and that is to meditate :)

My thoughts ! When I see how others live there lives around the world (and in places in this country),never having any form of stability or security and being hungry all their life ! I thank whoever is in charge upstairs that I was blessed with the cards at birth that I was ! A good phrase I borrowed from a wise man is "life is not a dress rehearsal so live it now" ! Oh and "everydays a holiday " ! Happy New year to all us grumpy old men ! :-D

Blimey Jack, what a life you have had. Mega pats on the back to you and yours as others (including me) would have rolled over and given up. So well done you.

I have not made any resolutions (only because I can never keep to them) but I want to be positive and happy and enjoy life.

I always wondered what had happened to the Survival Gear business Jack, assumed you'd sold out to your partner but didn't want to pry. Your resilience and optimism is a lesson to all of us. I've always believed that no matter how many times you get knocked down you have to get up again and battle on, the only thing is the older you get the harder it gets. As I've said before Nil Desperandum etc.

Hey this ain't about me!

Any how - I need to knock off a stone and I have promised myself for many years to buy a Banjo and learn to play the damn thing!!

Looks like we got ourselves an HMVF hoedown at war and peace this year ! Looking forward to hearing you play already Jack !:-D

Blimey Jack, what a life you have had. Mega pats on the back to you and yours as others (including me) would have rolled over and given up. So well done you.

I have not made any resolutions (only because I can never keep to them) but I want to be positive and happy and enjoy life.

I know how to get a story:cool2: maybe a new career with the press:coffee:

A little bit about billhooks by way of google http://journeytoforever.org/at_billhook.html

So many things to learn and experience. While trying to remain positive and not become paralyzed with worry about problems going on around one is very difficult lately .....With out going into detail, from what I have read and listened to , the experts on this latest financial mess took years to get to this point and will take perhaps many years to dig out of again .

I / We hope that it wont take that long and that it wont hurt that much on the personal level .

Hi abn,loved the bit about the cleaning of the rust,off to work to fill up one of my pits and drive the l/rover in,by this time next week it should be fully restored:rofl:

This is all very interesting. I have had a bit of Jack's optimism rub off on me. I am pleased about it because I am fed up with negativity. However, things are up in the air for me. I need to see if I will still have a job and should find out in the next two weeks. I work in a team of 21 which includes a London and Glasgow office manager. Eleven people have to go, but the London manager is safe. I have been there for nearly 23 years.

I need to write that blimmin' book.

I need to send out the snaps I've said I will.

I need to sort out other ideas.

I need to finish the house rebuild project.

I need to make the most of the MUTT.

It's all easy !

MB