Trains again

Great War truck

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's all the rail crane stuff I have, how about a road / rail trailer then? This is one I bought in Virginia and restored to tow behind my road / rail Dodge panel van conversion.

Before;

NOLAN.jpg

After;

NOL00023.jpg

Edited by Gordon_M
speelung

Great photos! I would be very pleased to see more photos of the Ransomes & Rapier crane at Longmoor (in the RH background) if anyone has them.

Here (for no very good reason) is a photo of my crane, a rather big restoration project although it is not quite as far gone as it looks. Built in 1908, it is the second oldest breakdown crane in the country and the oldest outside the National Collection, and is in fact the only 'proper' GWR breakdown crane to have survived (by which I mean one ordered by the GWR - there are three much later ones which were ordered on Government account as a war precaution and allocated to the GWR which also still exist). When built, it was so 'modern' that it redefined the standards for such cranes and the features it pioneered then became standard on all such cranes until the advent of the hydraulic jib cranes of the 1970s.

I suppose that there is some legitimacy for posting this crane here, since there are several photos in existence of this crane at Swindon Works engaged on war production work, doing things like loading LCTs onto wagons.

DSCN0107.jpg

Great photos! I would be very pleased to see more photos of the Ransomes & Rapier crane at Longmoor (in the RH background) if anyone has them.

Here (for no very good reason) is a photo of my crane, a rather big restoration project although it is not quite as far gone as it looks. Built in 1908, it is the second oldest breakdown crane in the country and the oldest outside the National Collection, and is in fact the only 'proper' GWR breakdown crane to have survived (by which I mean one ordered by the GWR - there are three much later ones which were ordered on Government account as a war precaution and allocated to the GWR which also still exist). When built, it was so 'modern' that it redefined the standards for such cranes and the features it pioneered then became standard on all such cranes until the advent of the hydraulic jib cranes of the 1970s.

I suppose that there is some legitimacy for posting this crane here, since there are several photos in existence of this crane at Swindon Works engaged on war production work, doing things like loading LCTs onto wagons.

More pics please

East Somerset Railway or West? Nice crane

Mark

East. There are some photos on the ESR website, but I will dig out some more pictures, including some old ones, and post in due course, provided that no-one objects to them being posted here (it not being an MV and me not wanting to break any forum rules!).

I forgot to mention in the last post that at the time it was built, at 36-tons, it was the largest capacity railway crane in GB albeit only for a few months (the GWR took delivery of a second 36-ton crane from Stothert & Pitt of Bath later the same year). Perhaps more extraodinarily for such an oldie, it would appear that it was also the last steam powered breakdown crane to make a lift on BR metals when, in August 1989 and by then owned by the Dart Valley Railway, it took down a signal gantry at Goodrington. So it has a lot of history in it.

Thank you all for your interest and for letting me ramble on about it here! It is my hope that in the not too distant future I can get a website running and 'blog' the restoration.

Roger

• 4 weeks later...

Cant really think of a great deal to say about it. It is a very good book though. 150 pages. Lots of photos from 1922 to modern day. Worth getting a copy. Should cost about £25. However a copy on Amazon is £80. No copies on Abe. Cant find it on Barbarossa books at all. May be hard to get now or out of print i suppose. Put a search on E bay and see if one turns up.

Good luck

Tim

ok, a couple from my collection

Mark

3rd one ex WD 78654

Thanks - pictures in WD livery seem relatively rare. I have some glass slides of them in my collection being unloaded off HMS Hampton Ferry, presumably some time after D-Day (together with a load of other wartime SR photos). If anyone is interested I could scan them in (when I am less busy than I am at present).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...