Trains again

Great War truck

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the current list of large WD locos in preservation and their normal home. 90733 was down at the Great Central Railway in Oct09 for a short stay.

2-6-0 1917 5322 43XX Churchward GWR

Swindon Didcot Railway Centre

2-8-0 1940 8274 24648 8F Austerity

North British Loco Glos Warwickshire Railway

2-8-0 1945 90733 5200 8F Austerity

Vulcan Keighley Worth Valley

2-10-0 1943 Gordon 600 25437 Austerity

North British Loco

Severn Valley Railway

2-10-0 1943 Dame Vera Lynn 3672 25458 Austerity

North British Loco North Yorks Moors Railway

My WD Austerity in 7mm, with Overlord Military train, built from a Snowhill kit and fitted with DCC sound. On Pete Watermans it sounded fantatsic (and realisitic) when chuffing along behind the scenary.

Photos later.

Lovely model - thanks for the photos. Amazing how it steams with no coal in the tender! Like the C Class on the birdcage set as well!

Oh sorry, I rushed in with the front cover of the 0-6-0 Saddle Tank Austerity ! (Bit like the generic Hoover or JCB thing)

Had a good look over a Kriegslok (the German equivalent of these big Austerities) in Poland - big brutal looking engine, simple enginering but the crew said it took over 3 hours to oil up due to almost impossible access (unless you are very small) to most lubricating points!!

Unless you jack it up first:

Kriegslok.jpg

Ian Bull is giving a talk to the RAWHS at their meeting on January 19th at the Greenwich Herritage centre in the arsenal between 12 and 1.

Ian has just been up to National railway muesum to catalogue their collection of Royal arsenal railways and hopes to be able to use samples of these in his talk.

Careful limited number and parking.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats a nice picture of a Lancia. One of 7 converted to run on the railway. Top speed of 45 mph forwards and 20 in reverse. Six of the seven were later converted back to run on the road. The axles were widened to run on the 5 foot 3" gauge of Irish railways. Thanks for posting that.

Tim

Thats a nice picture of a Lancia. One of 7 converted to run on the railway. Top speed of 45 mph forwards and 20 in reverse. Six of the seven were later converted back to run on the road. The axles were widened to run on the 5 foot 3" gauge of Irish railways. Thanks for posting that.

Tim

i see you have karl martin

I found this image amongst the RAWHS sets and a few more train images

Is there any chance of obtaining a better scan of the photo of the crane?

Cranes are very much my 'thing' (I am restoring one not dissimilar to the one in the photo) and I would like to try to identify the one shown positively. The military cranes - and there were quite a few - are not at all easy to track and put histories together for, and any new photo is of great interest.

It is highly likely that this is Army crane number 63014 (later named "Frobisher"), one of four 35-ton cranes built by Ransomes & Rapier of Ipswich in 1937. Supplied to Shoeburyness in April 1938, it was converted from steam to diesel power (reputedly a rather botched conversion) in 1975 and sold/scrapped c.1986.

Here you go then, an Admiralty Cowans-Sheldon built in Carlisle in 1927. It handled torpedos and ammunition at the Bandeath depot on the river Forth.

It was originally powered by a mains cable which fed to the drum you can see on the rear, but that has been stolen over the years along with everything else that could be carried.

There is an MLU thread on it here;

http://www.class-five.com/~mlu/forums/showthread.php?t=3316&highlight=carlisle.

BANDEAT1.jpg

Edited by Gordon_M
format