Morris C8 chat

Rick W

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The oil in the air filter should be bog standard engine oil as already mentioned. It's there to collect the dirt in air the same way a paper element type does. Removal of the air filter will cause it to run lean not rich. As previous suggestions, check choke is opening fully (disconect the cable and operate by hand to make sure) and check the float level. If my memory serves me correctly, the carb on this vehicle is an up-draught type and if the float bowl floods it can pool in the throat of the carb. The other option is that someone has either "fiddled" with the jetting or tried cleaning them with a "needle" rather than an air line. This obviously wouldn't cause the sudden stoppage and future start problems but then the prblems aren't necessarily connected,

hope this helps

Ian

Hello C8 lovers!

Have not used mine at all this year yet, however I did start her up and dive her home and back, about 4 miles the other day.

Now, having run mine for 3 years I am getting a pretty steady 8 -9 MPG this having talked to other owners is about as good as it gets.

I have improved mine slightly by dis conecting the front drive shaft.

Rick, you are right, you get permant (unless you remove the front shaft) 4 wheel in 1st and Reverse, the leaver near the battery box is to engauge 4WD in all the other gears, I have tried mine and it did work fine.

The red light on the ign Switch is your charging light, should glow until engine runs correctly showing that correct charge is being generated.

And finally yes correct oil level in air cleaner is a must also check reguarly your fuel filter, they are only small and block or restrict fuel flow.

Regards

Jules

When I first got MW, it hadn't the air filter fitted,.....and whilst it run, (well, sort of.........) it certainly wasn't what one could call, smooth ...:-(

Once the filter was fitted,..........and the elbows etc scorced, cheers to Pete Gaine and John Morter, she ran better,.....although not as well as I'd have expected.......:???....after a lot of fuffing about,........it turned out to be, (and I know it shouldn't have made a pigs ear of difference,)......a partial blockage due to semi collapsed rubber pipe, going from elbow on top of carb, to side of engine block.............once replaced, she ran like a good un. :-D

Carb, as already mentioned, is worth a look, esp the jets;.........might pay to get a re-build kit, if available;..........alternatively, check if indeed its the right carb for vehicle............

Good luck, and don't worry re asking questions;.......this forum prides itself on being FRIENDLY.:-D:-D

Great pic's by the way. :)

Andy

ok thanks for all the suggestions, i'll refit the air filter, adding oil, i'll check the hose, float and choke, i'm taking it to the chill out weekend this sat so i'll notice anny improvement as its exactly the same amount of miles so fingers crossed, (the dawnpatrol) i had heard about 8-10 to the gallon is quite normal, so i guess i'm not too far under par, but anything is worth trying to save on liquid gold!

rick, i will try to get a couple of pics to you about fixing points, but i noticed there are 4 triangular flat steel plates on the chassis with holes in them, so i bolted straight through the timber rear body into these, seems to work so far.....

just a query... anyone got any idea how many C8's are still running to shows etc... i've seen a few CS8's but not too many C8's? and lots of photo's i've seen on here are variations of the same few?

C8 feb 07 001a.jpg

I always wondered why there were never any pics of the C8 in europe during WW2. Were most shipped to the East? There seems to be a few in Oz. Does anyone have any idea where there might be info as to where they were issued? I know of the C8 at Duxford as well, might be worth starting another thread to list the C8s we know of in the UK, just to get an idea.

While i was scouring for pics to use as reference for rebuild, i've counted 7 so far that i have seen, including mine. These are the numbers taken from the photo's i have, i havent included names or reg numbers in case anyone objects....

1, Z9273401

2, Z5812347

3, Z5813657

4, Z5810792

5, Z5812885

6, Z58133442

7, one with a reg number but no bonnet number but obviously a different reg to any of the others.

if anyones number is on here and objects i'll willingly remove it.

i'd be very interested if anyone can add to this list?

These are GS C8's that i've seen or found recent photo's of.

The 2 at tilbury, are they C8's?

While i was scouring for pics to use as reference for rebuild, i've counted 7 so far that i have seen, including mine. These are the numbers taken from the photo's i have, i havent included names or reg numbers in case anyone objects....

1, Z9273401

2, Z5812347

3, Z5813657

4, Z5810792

5, Z5812885

6, Z58133442

7, one with a reg number but no bonnet number but obviously a different reg to any of the others.

if anyones number is on here and objects i'll willingly remove it.

i'd be very interested if anyone can add to this list?

These are GS C8's that i've seen or found recent photo's of.

The 2 at tilbury, are they C8's?

Hi Gang,

Bertha is no. 3 on your list and I don't have a problem with you posting it, the more the merrier.

Regards,

John.:wave:

ok great looks like we could be getting somewhere with this...

1, Z9273401 = TAF

2, Z5812347 = Chris (milweb)

3, Z5813657 = John Wheatley

4, Z5810792

5, Z5812885 = Keith Brooker

6, Z5813442 = Mike smith ( me )

7, one with a reg number ( 57 IF UP ) but no bonnet number but obviously a different reg to any of the others.

8, Z5812148 Rick

ok cheers Morris C8 fat, i'm only using the Z numbers to visibly identify those around still. Its just a bit safer than displaying peoples number plates i hope.....

Edited by mikemids

There is one on Milweb at the moment, Z3812347, but Im not sure thats a kosher number, I thought the earliest ones started with Z580...

Yes i've seen this morris on milweb, i thinks its Chris #####??

i had it listed as Z5812347 which is number 2 on the list?

There is a morris C9b bofors also on milweb if you have the cash!

Edited by mikemids

Yes i sympathise with not being able to justify buying the C9b, though it'd look pretty impressive popping to tesco's shopping!

Well, i've finally solved the red engine light problem this morning, after trial and error i discovered no power coming from generator, found this out simply by connecting bulb in holder with wires direct to generator connections with engine running... nothing, so i figured i'd check condition of bushes, and to my delight found that the nut and bolt with connects the wire on the bush to the generator was missing, hence no charge or connection, insering a new bolt and hey presto.... light now goes off with engine running and alt meter works!

only snag is i missed the 1st day of chill out weekend et evesham, but going over tomorrow ( fingers crossed ) for the ride out etc... will see how air filter and fuel economy performs now i've connected it and put oil in?

Have you got Wheels and Tracks N0 30 someinteresting variants on there

No i havent seen a copy of this edition yet, though i've heard about it, i'll look for it next trade fair, i've seen a few wild and wonderful types while scouring the net for images....

this one puzzled me as not sure a piano on the back is going to save your bacon should you come under fire!

desert.JPG

Edited by mikemids