Will this fit in?

Shakey985

This is the Sugarloaf Creek Hotel as of a week ago

Frameup31July2008020.jpg

As it isn't a vehicle will it fit in with the theme of this forum? the history of the pub is that it was started in 1864 and so served soldiers from the Boar war until 1953.

In 1962 it was burnt down and all that remained was the stone veranda wall built by 1409 Pte Seaborne Robert 14th Battalion (WW1) around 1936.

Being 10 Miles from Puckapunyal and 20 Miles from Seymour it was used extensively during both wars, to the extent that the owner would leave a keg on the bar with a cold leg of lamb for after hours trading.

The 2/8th Armoured Regiment adopted it as there home away from home, the oval on the same property was used for sport by this unit and others of the Armoured division while stationed in the area.

While I don't want to open as a licensed hotel due to my commitment at the tank museum ie finish the Vickers medium, operate and maintain the M816 and start the Yeramba project at the end of the year . It will be used by the 1 Armoured Regiment Association.

Should I of spent my compo money on the pub or a Tank/Truck like some that I have seen here? I would like both.

It looks exactly like the HMVF club house. Don't remember having gum trees in the car park. My son James used to have an Australian teacher at his primary school, a Vietnam veteran, who taught the kids a nice song about gum trees and stuff. I am digressing. Which is the point in a way, because in my view, the hotel fits in with us. A piece of real history...even if they aren't actually gum trees and there is nothing wheeled in view - I wouldn't have a bloody clue. Lambs off - I prefer beef. Ta. I'd love to have a pint in the place one of these years.....

M

Re 14 Battalion of what? 4th brigade 1AIF, 15-10-1914 Returned to Australia 5-4-1918,

He was a reinforcement leaving Australia on the 22-12-1914 on the HMAT Berrima.

Robert had 4 children who served in WW2 (RAN 2 Army 1 WRAAF 1) from all accounts and my research he lived in Port Melbourne. During the depression he went bush with his truck wood cutting, working as a tin smith and any other odd jobs. During the week he would live at the pub ( in one of the many bungalows) using it as a base.

HMVF members discount is at this stage BYBO but I will make you all welcome. with the history of the area and Horses are welcome also even in the bar.

The Sugarloaf Creek Hotel by Denis Seymour

On a back road out from Broadford,

Where the fence wire gave some turns,

You travelled for a mile or so

And there it was, “AHEARNE’S”.

Just past Kelly’s turn-off,

A hundred yards or so,

With its stone built-in veranda,

We hadn’t far to go.

“The Sugarloaf” they called it,

A pub of great renown,

Where the beer and hospitality

Could not be matched in town.

It was an institution

That was there for many a year;

And a product of the old man’s

Was sold as well as beer.

Made from potatoes in a boiler,

And bottled on the place,

T’was handy when the rains came,

In coffee, as a “lace”

On “Bona Fides” Sundays,

When it was hard to get a drink,

They ventured out from Melbourne

Their vans loaded to the brink.

While the young ones played at football,

And the ladies watched a kid,

The elderly supporters

Went in and “cracked a quid”.

Although it was Sabbath

The liquid fairly flowed,

The driver drank his squashes

To the unwritten code.

Tommy was the publican

And his brother, Frank, was there

If the bar was filled with drinkers,

Or it only held a pair.

The local farmers made it,

A meeting place and more,

The Farrell’s, Ryan’s, Sanderson’s,

And others buy the score.

In the days I was at Lochmore,

The dip switch I twice trod

To tell them I was a customer,

Not one of the “flying squad”

For, off on a summer’s even,

When the air was rather still,

I’d sneak down in the Plymouth,

To the pub without a “swill”.

“Where’ve you been, Dinny Seymour?”

“Where’ve you been, Mickey Leahy?”

Came their mothers’ chorus

Late on each Saturday.

“Where’ve we been?” came the answers

“A lie we cannot tell,

We’ve been down to see Frank and Tommy

At the Sugarloaf Creek Hotel”

The transport boys from “Pucka”,

When the war was raging wide

Would happen at the crossing,

“Taking this heap for a drive”

They drove down past “Wattle Park”

And splashed across the ford,

Struggled up Bidstrup’s cutting

With the accelerator floored.

Being hot and dry and thirsty,

They would stretch their legs nearby,

And wander to the veranda

To taste the wares inside.

It’s strange how things happen,

For, to “Pucka” I was sent.

We marched along the dusty road;

My pack, my back, it bent.

But I was home again

Among the tall gum trees;

We camped just where I used to sit

In wait for the southern breeze.

Down below there was the creek,

And the road I knew so well;

The one that went by the school

To the Sugarloaf Creek Hotel.

But Tommy and Frank were gone then,

To strangers, it had been sold:

But on the veranda, no doubt

Still many a tale was told.

The old place has gone now,

But fond memories linger still,

Of the times I spent with Martin,

And dear old Uncle Will.

The original property was around 20 acres and they had there own sports ground for cricket and football. Also at some stage they put in a track for cycle racing. Boxing Day was a big day with wood chopping and highland dancing. The 2/8th Armoured Regiment recorded in there history a cricket match between the officers and NCO s. I am sure that if 5 acres isn't enough the Lieutenant Colonel up the road mite let you on his property.

Frameup31July2008004.jpg

Frameup31July2008005.jpg

Frameup31July2008003.jpg

Frameup31July2008002.jpg

Here are some photos of the inside. The bar was an old glass display cabinet from what you would call a NAAFI. You have to bear in mind that as far as the council is concerned this is a shed and the builders are 2 ex tankies, the procurement officer is not yet an ex tankie as he is still serving part time. The other day a retired Major General (Tankie) visited and was impressed with what old soldiers get up to.

• 1 month later...

Should this be Sugarloaf Creek Hotel/HMVF Club house Downunder ?

ConstructionteamSoiree31Aug2008003.jpg

Pubpromophotosgoodone011.jpg

The bar was opened on the 31st of August 2008, for the first time since November 1957 after the license was surrendered.

It was thought that the Army were going to contest the renewal due to solders drinking to much.

For all HMVF members I will provide one free drink if you park your military vehicle out the front.

Just PM me with what you drink.

I am now on Goggle earth just type in sugarloaf creek vic aust, there is a bit of history on the sight from Bill Kelly who just happens to have a Blitz in his shed.

hope to see you soon

I was over at Tallarook on Tuesday and meet a fella that did his Nachos in 1951 and he told me how they would pinch a jeep in Pucka and drive over for a beer, they would get a load of take aways, hide the jeep in the scrub and go in for a session. One day they did this and came out to find the jeep missing and had to walk the 10 miles back to Pucka, on return they found the jeep in the motor pool but no beer.

Rick just let me know when your coming over, I am at Pucka every Tuesday and some Wednesdays. Morris come and get it with that vehicle, it would back a great pub run around just what I need

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the roof to day moving the insillation over the bar area so that we keep cool in summer and out popped a Possum from in the rolls.

Hello to all the new member from down under

Edited by Shakey985
spelling

They are the size of a house cat but with sharper longer claws, sleep during the day and eat roses during the night.

I have had a family living in my house roof for years, you get rid of one and another takes its place so best to leave them alone. Native to Australia so protected but the dogs get one every now and then.

I will try and get a photo when I start Work this morning.