Vulcan to the sky

antarmike

I am booked in with the Antar to Waddington Airshow, and it was supposed to be the first display venue for the newly refurbished Bomber, but I heard on the news this morning that the Vulcan had still not got its CAA certification and might not turn up. Boo Hoo, does anyone know any more?

She was due to appear at Biggin Hill earlier this month and disappeared of the website ad for the show the day before ! The show apparently had its largest ever attendance ! Lets hope it all gets sorted ! I wonder if the fuel price has anything to do with delay ! Andy

The Vulcans appearance at Waddo is still in the balance, it has not received its permit to fly yet which is in the hands of the CAA not the Vulcan trust or Marshalls, red tape unfortunatly and they haven't done any display practice flying yet either and time is short too. It was at Coningsby recently Mike, just up the road from you, pics added, I dare not say how fantastic she looked :).

XH558 Con 9-5-08, 1.jpg

XH558 Con 9-5-08, 2.jpg

This has just appered on the website -

STOP PRESS.....STOP PRESS.......STOP PRESS......

DISPLAY AUTHORITY GRANTED TO XH558 CREW

XH558 To Carry Out First Public Display At RAF Waddington International Airshow 5th/6th July 2008

Yes its true. 558 arrived at Waddo at 5.45pm ish yesterday afternoon, did its display work up and was duly authorised to fly for the airshow (weather permitting!). I had left work by then so missed its arrival, but its definitely here on the airfield this morning :). I did see an Oshkosh transporter arrive yesterday with an AS90 on the back, negotiating the narrow station roads.

Jon

Its about time it was flying after al the money which has been thrown at it. Has anyone asked the question as to where all the money has gone. I had heard a rumour that the management of the company where on high wages rather than running it as a charity. I would feel happier giving over more than i have if I knew it was going to the Vulcan and not paying the cheif ex. I dont begrudge the engineers there wadges as they are needed.All we need know is a Victor to fly with it!

She flew on Saturday, great sight, but Sunday saw her taxi round, to start her display only to find the alternator on no2 engine wasn't working, The program was reshuffled as engineers tried to fix the Problem for several hours. The Lancaster which had flown with it on Saturday, was forced to display without her. With an 45 minutes of the show left, she taxiied to the start of the runway, let rip, the nose wheels got of the ground, but the pilot aborted a few hundred yards into the takeoff, cutting power , dropping the nose back down, and that was that. An airfield tug pushed her round to the far side of the field. XH588 is at present a non-flyer again....

Edited by antarmike

Was there on the Saturday and was able to see her run up and fly also got a great shot of her passsing the Black buck Vulcan . It was one hell of a sight to see it flying with the Lancaster. The Typhoon was also flying but for what ever reason they did not have the 2 fly together, would have made a good show. the Mirarge that was there could have made a trio of Delta wing's in the sky. It was a very gentle display though, not quite how I rember it flying in the oll days but still better to see her fly than not at all.