Ferret Gallery

Lord Burley

Err... no there is not a dedicated one and i have never figured out how others attach their reels to the turret gear loops as the bracket on the reel is too wide to fit inside the loop. Or have i only got CVRT reels (all 8 of them!)

Have always assumed owners have cut down the size of the bracket, yet plenty of people seem to manage it on the turret.

I always thought there was a proper bracket as loads of in service photos you see have the reels fitted:confused:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed. Loads of service photos of reels mounted to turrets, similarly ammo boxes up there - but how fixed :???

Owners i have asked usually admit to having cut down the reel to make it fit the gear loop

IIRC Sirhc once mentioned there was a different narrower reel in use before the current CVRT/W one ?

agreed. Loads of service photos of reels mounted to turrets, similarly ammo boxes up there - but how fixed :???

I only ever used Mark 2s in NI (briefly) and UNFICYP and we never needed extra stowage because of the nature of the job: we didn't spend enough time out of camp to need luxuries.

In BAOR we had Mark 1s. IIRC we attached ammo boxes on the hull side by making holes in the ammo boxes so that they slipped over the tarpaulin mounting lugs. But I could be wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if we made lugs on the ammo boxes to fit inside any loops there may have been on the vehicle sides (it's all so-o-o long ago.

Whatever, it may not have been quite that simple because everything was securely mounted, not just slip-on, so I suspect the LAD must have carried out some interesting mods. At least with the steel armour on Ferret, the LAD were a lot more amenable to drilling etc, unlike the aluminium alloy of CVR(T).

• 1 month later...
It would seem to be more Fox than Ferret with its Aluminuim alloy armour (from the text). Why build a new vehicle when the Fox was available as a base platform?

I might have answered my own question two different competing companies?

Andy

The intended market was overseas, all those countries that bought or used the original Ferrets would have been interested. Not really competing with the ROF built Fox, they were only supplied to two nations, UK......and I think an African country, escapes my mind, Rhodesia perhaps?

The intended market was overseas, all those countries that bought or used the original Ferrets would have been interested. Not really competing with the ROF built Fox, they were only supplied to two nations, UK......and I think an African country, escapes my mind, Rhodesia perhaps?

Richard, it was Nigeria. I believe they are using them for target practice these days.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think they are tracks you can see at the front, just above the water level, it's more likely a slight blur on the motion of the trak-grip tyres/water splashing, I think it is some sort of prototype amphibious ferret..... though judging by the other pics not very successfull, in one shot it is almost under water, with a diver in the turret, and then later looks like it is being towed out by a hoofing great truck

• 5 weeks later...

A few pics taken at Withams today the MK2/7 has the reg numbr 06eb51 and looked to o.k inside, not perfect the engine compartment was absolutely full of cobwebs. The MK 4 looked to be more complete inside, the reg was 01da30 and the front tyre was flat no valve stem in sight. Both have the browning mount installed and both have birds nests on board as well for good measure.

Andy

Edited by ferrettkitt
Can not spell

Fellow Ferret Spotters!

Ref the Mk 2/4 - Does anyone know what that black box is on the rear o/s wing and also the purpose of the hole in the turret - never seen either before!

Over to you.....

Peter

Ferret MK 2/3, 03 CC 42

I belive the black box may have held a radio tunning unit on this mark when fitted with the atgm system. As the the hole in the turret side this was definately for the elevation pivot for the missile boxes which were on either side of the turret.