Ferret Gallery

Lord Burley

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a nice champ next to that xmas tree mark.

just goes to show what do sailors know about anything :captain:

I think its a very nice tree - just needs a fairey sitting on top to finish the ensemble ... ooops just looked at the picture above and i see its got one already :shake: (nothing personal to whoever it is of course!)

one of our group.

Based on a picture of a BAOR Ferret in service.

I get the impression from the Chinese Eye that the original was a 4RTR Ferret. Some Chinese bigwig awarded them an eye to watch over them and it has appeared like grafitti on anything owned by 4RTR ever since - including the permanent staff NAAFI bar at Catterick, still so titled in 1976, a year or two after 4RTR had been replaced by Scots DG as RAC Training Regiment.

Interesting cage on the back. Ours were always mounted to lift up sideways (both ways, depending which set of butterfly nuts you removed) rather than backwards so that you could easily lift one engine deck or the other, e.g. when you needed, very frequently, to refuel. That basket doesn't look to me like it has lifted far enough to raise the endine deck far enough to get to the fuel filler.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Great pictures. Looking forward to War and Peace this year so I can see a few more.

I wish I had the time and money to get one for an up and coming project that's a little off the beaten track.

Keep up the good work.

Paul

• 2 months later...

Is there not a dedicated mount point for the D10 reel on the turret of the Mark 2? Or has my memory let me down YET again?

I certainly never mounted my D10 reel on the back plate. It probably lived in the big side bin at the bottom, cos I never needed to use it.

As a rebro Ferret all I needed was the magic switch settings on the radios, broadcast (on both nets since I was the rebro station) "Hello all stations this is 98 Alpha. This is an automatic rebroadcast net. Out" then get me book out. But that only ever happened once. I was on call to rebroadcast, but spent my years as fetch & carry for the CO and an extra name on the ACV radio stag roster.

Is there not a dedicated mount point for the D10 reel on the turret of the Mark 2?

Err... no there is not a dedicated one and i have never figured out how others attach their reels to the turret gear loops as the bracket on the reel is too wide to fit inside the loop. Or have i only seen/got CVRT reels? (all 8 of them!)

Have always assumed owners have cut down the size of the bracket, yet plenty of people seem to manage it on the turret.