Lord Burley

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

safariswing

don't think there's such a thing as a Bren tripod

Bren tripod were officially issued at one per platoon in Infantry Bats more if Brens were issued at 2 per squad. the bren tripod was the same a the Czech ZB26 30 tripod so very common all over the world even to the extent it was used in Vietnam to support Chinese 57mm recoiless RLs.- possibly because Chinese nationalists were supplied with Brens in .303 .30-06 and 7.92 and German supplied ZBs

Ferrets both 1/1 and 1/2 had Brens .303 and 7.62 as standard weapon so if a tripod was carried it would be a Bren tripod.

Sorry only picture I've got is from Edzell World Firearms 1977

bren tripod mount.jpg

so the idea was you would have the machine gun on tripod set up on engine and you you would use ferret as bit of cover whilst firing, or with a very tall tripod would you be firing from inside vehicle.??

The bit on the engine cover simply locks in the pintle hole in the tripod to secure it for storage, the tripod would of been taken off & used where ever it was needed...

Not very clear but tripod shown stored

tripod 30.jpg

Edited by Marmite!!

safariswing

still the lug is for the .30cal though...

The drawing you show is a Mk2 which carried a 30cal Browning as does the Mk1 you show in the photo, if a Bren was carried by a Mk1 or 1/2 then a M1919 tripod would be pointless as a Bren would not fit. so either the tripod would be dispensed with or a Bren tripod would be carried- it probably easier to make the bracket fit a Bren tripod than make a Bren fit a M1919 tripod.

The drawing you show is a Mk2 which carried a 30cal Browning as does the Mk1 you show in the photo, if a Bren was carried by a Mk1 or 1/2 then a M1919 tripod would be pointless as a Bren would not fit. so either the tripod would be dispensed with or a Bren tripod would be carried- it probably easier to make the bracket fit a Bren tripod than make a Bren fit a M1919 tripod.

The question was, what is the mount for... so that's why the answer is .30 :-D

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Not quite related, but a question for the experts. Has anyone ever seen or have on there vehicle a bin like this on the back, a much better idea than the cage bin over the engine bay I think.

Mod Edit: Copyrighted images removed

Edited by Marmite!!
Copyrighted images removed

Not quite related, but a question for the experts. Has anyone ever seen or have on there vehicle a bin like this on the back, a much better idea than the cage bin over the engine bay I think.

But all it gives you is room for two Jerry cans. One of them ought to be water: that leaves one can of petrol. In a CVR(T)-equipped recce regiment, that would leave the Ferrets grossly under-range (I know, our GW Troop Leader was forever banging on at the Squadron Leader that if he wanted GW Troop (Mark 5 Ferrets) to keep up with the Scorpions, he needed more-frequent replen).

Then there's the question of where to stick the Chieftain (or CVR(T) if you could get one) bivouac tent, sleeping bags, camp beds, spare composite rations, beer, spare clothing, etc, etc? Once you've got two SMGs and webbing, that you NEED handy inside the cab of a Ferret, it very quickly fills up.

Not that there is anything wrong with the bin shown in the pictures.

Mod Edit: Copyrighted images removed

Ok my bad, yes I should have known better. Hear is a link to the page I was looking at. At 3.45 mins in you will see two ferret's, check out the bin added on to the rear of the vehicle where the VRN is normally painted.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/exercise-storm-king-on-salisbury-plain/query/ferret+scout+car

Edited by Catch 22 LBDR

Ok my bad, yes I should have known better. Hear is a link to the page I was looking at. At 3.45 mins in you will see two ferret's, check out the bin added on to the rear of the vehicle where the VRN is normally painted.

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/exercise-storm-king-on-salisbury-plain/query/ferret+scout+car

I am sure that I have seen pictures of Ferrets in Lebanon in the early eighties with the same bin or jerry can holder

Edited by ferrettkitt
grammar

That's fascinating, I had no idea that the size of the fuel tank was a problem. My observation was based on ease of access to the engine bay. were all ferret's fitted with extra bins?

I suppose it's all relative. I cannot remember the range of a Ferret, though in 1978 at the end of one exercise we drove most of the way across West Germany from near Belgium to Paderborn, filled up from Jerry cans during a rest break and had to switch to reserve as we travelled down the last hill before Paderborn. The only time we ever used the reserve tank. Scorpions with 92 ( ? ) gallon tanks went on forever, but travelled any significant non-exercise jorneys by train or by transporter.

In our regiment (an armoured reconnaissance regiment where mobility and communications were everything) every Ferret had them fitted. We had an excellent REME Light Aid Detachment who could and did work miracles.

Other regiments were not so blessed.

How many extra jerry cans were you expected to carry, or did it depend on the exercise?

There was one mounted on the rear mudguard as standard. Pretty sure we kept the water can in the bin. I don't recall normally carrying any more petrol because being in Command Troop, we didn't normally move far and the CO always got his replen. On this drive we knew we'd be pushed so we carried extra.

Apart from this one day I mentioned earlier when GW Troop Leader was begging for an emergency replen (and they were big, heavy gas-guzzling Mark 5s), I don't recall ever having issues over fuel in a Mark 1 or 2.

• 6 months later...