Ferret Gallery

Lord Burley

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was one mounted on the rear mudguard as standard. Pretty sure we kept the water can in the bin. I don't recall normally carrying any more petrol because being in Command Troop, we didn't normally move far and the CO always got his replen. On this drive we knew we'd be pushed so we carried extra.

Apart from this one day I mentioned earlier when GW Troop Leader was begging for an emergency replen (and they were big, heavy gas-guzzling Mark 5s), I don't recall ever having issues over fuel in a Mark 1 or 2.

Having seen this thread reactivated and having reread what I wrote here ...

Perspective. In Cyprus in 76-77 with the UN, we had troops dispersed along the Green Line from one end to the other. Every day a section of two Ferrets patrolled each sector (a total of five troops plus one on R&R, but my dim memory suggests that one of the troops didn't patrol the Green Line per se) from outstation, along the length of the sector and back, so each pair of Ferrets covered some 20-25% of the Green Line, out and back. We never used the spare cans: fill up after one patrol ready for the next and that was it.

My recollection of the patrols is (from West to East):

Skouriotissa in the Danish Contingent (DANCON) sector halfway to Nicosia.

BRITCON West out of Nicosia.

CANCON East out of Nicosia.

AUSCON East of Larnaca.

Either SWEDECON or FINCON (it's the memory, age you know?) out of the Box Factory at Ayios Nikolaos adjacent to the Dhekelia British Sovereign Base (East).

The more I think about it, the less sure I am. Pretty sure that Bazz will put me right, or anyone else who did an UNFICYP Force Reserve Squadron tour.