Many years ago I met a chap at a rally who drove Diamonds during the war. His T was 'HOTSPOT'. In this picture (photo 1) you can see them celebrating with Carlesberg beers ( look carefully and you can see the bottle labels ) after a Panther tank crew (photo 2) surrendered to a British unit together with a Lica camera. I have about 40 photos of this Diamond unit all taken in Italy. This chaps job was to transport the Panther the length of Italy to a rail junction, hence the celebration on arrival.

Photo 3 shows another T in the unit, HOT RHYTHM, along with Italian mascot. When I met this chap, probably 25 years ago, he still had the Lica camera and said that it still took a good photo.

Photo 4 is for the trailer buffs. Is this a German trailer? It shows a 70 ton King Tiger in good condition being towed by a DT. I wonder if this is the one in the Samur Museum in France which is a 'runner'.

All the best. Tony G

HOTSPOT.jpg

Captured Panther.jpg

HOT RHYTHM.jpg

Possibly Samur Tiger.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Dear richard, amazing what people spend their money on, a racing diamond, with all that smoke looks like they retained the hercules engine, happy new year to everyone , all the best , tony g.

Hello Tony, Happy New Year.

I think the engine is a 6-71 Detroit, hence all the noise.

regards, Richard

Quite a number of the Diamond T tractors were converted to Detroit Diesel 6-71 power by the Italian Army during the 50's they were all sold off about 15-20 years ago so this may be one of those. One of my friends in this area has a full military spec one, it sounds superb as all DD engined trucks do !

John

• 5 weeks later...

Photo 1 - PDW 321 photo'd head on in 1978 in Joe Sullivan's yard near Portsmouth in a fairly derelict state.It had a Cummins engine. Behind is the sole surviving Pacific Tractor which has now been restored by Mike Lawrence of Burnham on Sea.

Photo 2 - B/W picture, PDW 321 was Wynns working recovery vehicle. Pictured here with a good rear view, equipped with a heavy duty Harvey Frost crane and hand winch.

Photo 3 - PDW 321 pictured just before the start of the famous Wynn's anniversary Newport drive through.

Does anybody know what happened to the old girl?

Hope of interest. Tony G

1- PDW321.jpg

3 - PDW321.jpg

2 - PDW321.jpg

Hi Tony its Graham B ..it belongs to Mark Walker and both know are pockets not deep enough to buy it from him ..Love to Pat take care mate ..speak soon

Hi Graham, think Mark would sell EGG570? A bit of a mess but a challenge i would relish!

hi adrian, i spoke to mark walker a couple of years ago at dorset steam fair about egg 570, his reply was 10,000 pounds take it or leave it. can you imagine paying that before restoration. diamond t stuff now is getting harder to find especially cabs, unless you can find a donor vehicle which now will probably be as bad condition, you are looking at a huge project and i think mr walker will be keeping the old girl for several years to come. perhaps pdw 321 would be a better project. i am currently having a new leaf made for my diamond wrecker, what a job dismantling the rear spring, it is being made in england, i won,t tell you price in case my wife is listening, bear this in mind and the cost of restoring egg, it cant be worth it, all the best tony g .