Nice colour schemes Les, whether it`s dark green or bright yellow the T always seems to draw a crowd at shows.

I suupose it must have been the same when they worked hard for a living.

Dave

Diamond T 981

Land Rover 101 GS

Land Rover 110 GS

Picture 097.jpg

Hi Adrian

Sorry it`s not another toy, it is ex-italian though. I bought this one as a spares pack for the 981. I`ve sold the cab, winch, engine and some other bits, got most of my money back and still kept the bits i wanted, ie the running gear.

I sold the trailer too. i can just about reverse a turntable trailer but my T has the narrow cut out over the front towing eye, unlike later models. As a result you couldn`t put the trailer on the nose and push it. The shows i go to don`t give you a lot of room for access so i decided to sell it. I would still like a "proper" Rogers though.

Dave

Diamond T981

Land Rover 110gs

Land Rover 101gs

• 2 weeks later...

Late last year I was made aware through HMVF of a Diamond T 968 for sale on ebay, less than an hour from my home, so a friend and I had to go and see it. Needless to say the purchase was made. After the delivery we had a good inspection and found too much backlash on the timing gears, so we decided not to run the engine untill this was fixed. We suspected the timing idler gear which proved to be the case, it was very loose on its shaft so I built it up with weld, and had a friend turn it down to a tight fit. My son and I fitted it recently, and on Saturday replaced the radiator and started it up. It ran so well we decided to take it for a run to listen to the transmission. As it is not road registered we took it on the old airfield behind my house and had great fun driving up and down the remains of one of the old runways where, B24's and B17's of the 34th. Bomb Group once flew from. The transmission sounded good in all gears, and the truck drove very well which was very pleasing. It had been brought into the UK from France a few years ago, having been used as a wrecker with a frame over the cab using the front winch, and large jacks at the rear. The back part of the cab has been replaced by a home made job, but everything has been very well done. I will have to make a new body and replace the cab but it is very helpfull that it runs and drive so well.

HPIM0058.jpg

HPIM0067.jpg

HPIM0072.jpg

HPIM0073.jpg

HPIM0071.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At last, I have eventuallly got my "T" back home here in France which makes it much easier for me to work on the old girl. I have a problem, which having worked on DT's for thirty years, I have never come across before. On one side at the rear springs there are two spring clamps which have had rust build up inside and have broken the 7/16 bolts. The brackets have to come off to staighten them. On top of the clamp there is a rivet. I was wondering whether to cut the rivet head off, remove the the clamp to straighten it and make a new fixing on top after. Can anyone help me with any info or ideas to solve this problem.

Thanks

Tony G

Bishops DT Springs 004.jpg

Bishops DT Springs 005.jpg

Rivet it back on. Will most likely be a countersunk rivet, with the underside of the leaf being countersunk. You can get rivets of all the old sizes from the steam suppliers, try Live Steam Models, if they can't they'll tell you who can supply. Don't weld it because that will affect the metallurgy of the spring steel.

Good luck, Richard

I'm assuming though, Richard, that Tony doesn't want to dismantle the spring just to replace the rivet?

In which case, and since the rivet is only there to stop the clip sliding off, I would carefully grind the sides of the rivet head back just enough to allow removal of the clip - then when replacing simply weld the clip to the upstanding rivet shank (this will not affect the metal of the spring leaf since you would not be welding to this).

Had a better idea Tony - sell the truck to me! :whistle:

Now what makes me think that's not going to happen? :drive:

Edited by N.O.S.