Is that the Scammell 100 tonner's trailer?

Don't think so - this one looks to have a rear steering bogie as well as a front bogie, neither of which the 100 Tonner trailers had. They were rigid axle 5th wheel type trailers - must have been fun to turn!!

Swan neck looks very similar, but so were several other trailer necks. I guess it is possible a 100T one was re-used in this trailer though. Thinking of it I've seen a set of surviving rear bogies for an original 100T trailer :-)

I have a photo of the very same DT and trailor combo, the title states ..."100 ton trailor (BLH21) Using a forecarriage"

Regards rog8811

In Colin Wrights book Trucks in Britain Vol 3 Pickfords page 29 Shows the same trailer as a Crane built trailer No. T3440 and although the swan neck looks like the 100 tonners the girders look much more substantial !

They were rigid axle 5th wheel type trailers - must have been fun to turn!!

Tony they were 4 in line steering on the 65 ton version, 4 in line non steering leading and 4 in line steering trailing on the 100 ton version.

Edited by radiomike7

Tony they were 4 in line non steering on the 65 ton version, 4 in line non steering leading and 4 in line steering trailing on the 100 ton version.

Strange set up Mike, never noticed before but looking at these pics it does seem that only the rearmost wheels steered, or is that chap looking at it thinking "Summat's broke there"? Surely that would cause a lot of stress and wear, or is it more complicated than that and I am missing something?

The steersman must have had backache, the steering wheel could have been made a bit higher for the poor chap!

http://www.britishpathe.com/ImgRetrieve.php?img=60&media_urn=53599

http://www.britishpathe.com/ImgRetrieve.php?img=65&media_urn=53599

http://www.britishpathe.com/ImgRetrieve.php?img=45&media_urn=53599

Strange set up Mike, never noticed before but looking at these pics it does seem that only the rearmost wheels steered, or is that chap looking at it thinking "Summat's broke there"? Surely that would cause a lot of stress and wear, or is it more complicated than that and I am missing something?

The steersman must have had backache, the steering wheel could have been made a bit higher for the poor chap!

http://www.britishpathe.com/ImgRetrieve.php?img=60&media_urn=53599

http://www.britishpathe.com/ImgRetrieve.php?img=65&media_urn=53599

http://www.britishpathe.com/ImgRetrieve.php?img=45&media_urn=53599

Well spotted Bernard ! All that Grit has not affected those eagle eyes ! :D:D:D

rog8811 said

title states ..."100 ton trailor (BLH21) Using a forecarriage"

AndyFowler said

same trailer as a Crane built trailer No. T3440

the swan neck looks like the 100 tonners the girders look much more substantial !

I have to say I agree, I have just found a photo of a 100 ton chassis under construction at Teeside Bridge and Engineering co, loads more rivets showing and shallower looking girders.

Just goes to show you cannot believe everything you see in print.

The steersman must have had backache, the steering wheel could have been made a bit higher

It was just the trailing axle(s) that steered, making the effective wheelbase shorter. If the steersman got the angles right there would be no additional stress upon the frame, although it was possible to oversteer in order to reduce cut in.

If you were a wimp you could request the larger steering wheel::-D

scan0001.jpg

Interesting info on the 65 and 100T trailer axles, thanks Mike. Compared to the trailers with fully swivelling bogie fore and aft, that's just about as rigid as you can get :D:D

Somewhere I have a G.A. of the 100T trailer ex. 'Engineering' Magazine of the time (was I really planning to make a large scale model of it 30 years ago?? :shocked:).

Good links to movies chaps!

Hi all. The trailer in question is T3440 which was made by Crane Trailers but in later life was used in various configerations and was nicknamed by Pickfords staff as the "abortion". This trailer is not to be confused with the 100 ton riveted trailer. It was rated as the 120 ton trailer and empty weighed 35 tons. The trailer under this weight was the 85 tonner now seen at Dorset and run by the steam guys. The trailer over this weight used by Pickfords was the 200 tonner also now at Dorset.

Hope of interest, all the best Tony Graves.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading a magazine called Trucking Down Memory Lane (Classic & Vintage Commercials), in the chapter Readers Memories (page 77) there is a photo and caption saying that the Diamond T (in photo) Something rather Special here - a Diamond T fitted with an engine formerly in a Spitfire. Also the Author said that he drove Diamond T's with Spitfire engines, why would you want to fit a DT with a Spitfire Engine? and what sort of fuel consumption would you get, & what sort of speed would this beast do?.The photo enclosed in the magazine, looks like any normal Diamond T.:drive::goodidea::readpaper::wow:

If it aint bust dont touch it !!!!!!

I have been reading a magazine called Trucking Down Memory Lane (Classic & Vintage Commercials), in the chapter Readers Memories (page 77) there is a photo and caption saying that the Diamond T (in photo) Something rather Special here - a Diamond T fitted with an engine formerly in a Spitfire. Also the Author said that he drove Diamond T's with Spitfire engines, why would you want to fit a DT with a Spitfire Engine? and what sort of fuel consumption would you get, & what sort of speed would this beast do?.The photo enclosed in the magazine, looks like any normal Diamond T.:drive::goodidea::readpaper::wow:

If it aint bust dont touch it !!!!!!

How weird is that? someone mentioned to me just a couple months ago about such a beast lurking somewhere near me. I'll do some digging and see what i can find out. Personally i think its a rediculous idea, and like Tony B says Merlin - highly doubtful, Meteor - possible but still silly.

Richard