Crocs' Explorer Blog

croc

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy New Year everyone.

For your enjoyment (or at least Andy F) here are some pictures in the snow between Christmas and New Year.

As I got back to the yard the clutch decided to stop working, fortunately just as I was parking up. On investigation it wasn't the clutch itself but the slave cylinder arrangement. It looks to have been a fairly gash repair at sometime in the past and a weld had failed.

There is a bit more snow now so I may well go out "testing" later....

img1686f.jpg

img1681o.jpg

img1690u.jpg

img1687p.jpg

img1689q.jpg

it looks even better in the snow than without .My wifes cousin and her husband moved up to Rothiemay some years back with her ponies and dogs from Preston. We have visited once so far as my good lady had never been that far north and I wanted to visit where a maternal great great grandfather was born, managed all that and took in a sample of the amber fluid at Grants distillery, loverly stuff.

Certainly plent of ground for off roading and even getting to her place was a rally stage up between 2 houses then foot down through a forest track.

• 1 month later...

Went out to play again today. The first thing I found was that the hole I left yesterday had drifted in again.

img1722m.jpg

Nice, deep, windblown drifts to play in.

img1723r.jpg

img1727b.jpg

The Explorer managed to bash its way through though.

img1731yz.jpg

img1733b.jpg

Before I started I anchored the main winch to a suitable tree, this allowed me to push through the drifts and be able to winch backwards each time. In places there was a good five feet of snow, I wouldn't have got far without the winch. There is only about 100 feet of cable fitted at the moment so I had to stop when I was down to the last few turns on the winch drum. I have got a new rope to fit, just need time to get it done.

img1734l.jpg

• 1 month later...
Hi Steve.

You need to find a snow plough attachment for the front of the explorer :-D

Clive

protruckservices.com

For the snow we have had this year I am starting to fancy a blower.

Another video from last month, only just got around to posting it.

Yes it would be interesting to see a simular scene next winter with the Scammell with the rear tracks fitted , that just might have solved the traction problem , plenty of power it was just loosing traction due to the tires being unable to push the snow out of the way along with the drag of the depth of the snow on the axles.

Hows the snow in the area where you were pushing your way though the drifts now ? Nearly all the snow in my area has melted , had upwards of 4' drifts and an average of 1' now traces or less remains the drifts down to 1' or so . Been 40's to 50's f the last week .

They remind me of the MRDs "mechanical runway de-icers" we used in the RAF. Twin Derwent (I think) and opperators cab in the middle, pushed along by a tanker. I used to get to play with them at my old unit (MRT)at Bruggen in the early eighties, our sooties would double as runway clearers and of course they had to be tested!

Has any one got some pics of them or remember them, or am I going even more mad!

oops!!.. just realised this is kind of off thread, sorry Croc.

• 2 months later...

You might have noticed that I haven't been around much over the past couple of months, I have got some Scammell stuff to update but first, this is why I have been busy.

After a 30 mile run in the Explorer to the BA Stores rally my wife, Jen, started the final stage of producing a new Scammeller.

Michael Thomas Adamson arrived (12 days late) on Tuesday 18th May at 06:45 hrs. 7lb 13oz.

Jen and Michael are both doing well, losing and gaining weight appropriately.

img1785w.jpg

img1791s.jpg

The weekend after he was born was my parents ruby wedding anniversary. A big family bash had been organised in Cumbria, at 5 days old Michael got his first trip on a narrow gauge railway in Alston.

dsc1024g.jpg

You might have noticed that I haven't been around much over the past couple of months, I have got some Scammell stuff to update but first, this is why I have been busy.

After a 30 mile run in the Explorer to the BA Stores rally my wife, Jen, started the final stage of producing a new Scammeller.

Michael Thomas Adamson arrived (12 days late) on Tuesday 18th May at 06:45 hrs. 7lb 13oz.

Jen and Michael are both doing well, losing and gaining weight appropriately.

img1785w.jpg

img1791s.jpg

The weekend after he was born was my parents ruby wedding anniversary. A big family bash had been organised in Cumbria, at 5 days old Michael got his first trip on a narrow gauge railway in Alston.

dsc1024g.jpg

congrats to you and yours

Mark