Crocs' Explorer Blog

croc

I had managed to let the main winch cable pull in a little to far when putting it away, not far enough to damage anything, but enough for the rope clamps to get behind the fairlead rollers from the side. There is no way to power out the main winch on the Explorer so I set up some snatch blocks to pull it back out sideways with the jib winch.

img0903vb1.jpg

img0902vv7.jpg

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main winch on Explorers is quite big, early ones were rated at 10 tons and later ones 15 tons, the only difference (as far as I know) is the setting of the overload switch, which killed the ignition on the petrol engine. As mine is a diesel this switch wouldn't work anyway and I suspect it has worked quite hard as a commercial recovery unit; as the winch rope is down to about 150 feet of the original 450, and the serving gear, (paying on device) which layers the cable on the drum, was broken.

I managed to get a spare serving gear and bracket so I fitted that and ran the rope in and out a couple of times.

Winching up the road to my house, just enough of a hill to get the rope tight.

img0912ot8.jpg

Adam Elsdon and the Explorer.

img0907ic7.jpg

There were some comments about running winches out of the front fairleads on the Matador thread. It is only supposed to be done for self recovery but I can't see why there would be a problem for "light" work and it is much easier to see what is going on. I took these to show the route on an Explorer.

Newly fitted serving gear. This moves up and down to guide the rope onto the drum and must be timed correctly.

img0917mw1.jpg

View of serving gear from back of unit.

img0910te5.jpg

Rope passing round the back pulleys and forward to front.

img0909tk6.jpg

View from front fairleads. Rope comes forward from pulley behind fuel tank and passes through the loop bracket, this bracket is to protect the brake pipes.

img0908uw9.jpg

Great truck, I like the way it looks like - like a MONSTER!! Keep it like it is!

This photo of your truck just reminds me of the movie "Duel" - ever seen it?

You should try the same feeling when next time you are following a Reliant Robin!! The maximum they would see would be your front bumper, "honey this is a nightmare, that awfully big truck is following us"!

Cedric

Great plan, but I am not sure an Explorer would keep up with a Robin :-D

The traffic is never bad when you drive something big and slow, but it doesn't always look to good behind you :rofl:

I have put a video clip "Crocs Scammell Explorer" on HMVF TV, its still pending waiting for the administrator to clear it, but should be on soon.

Get to see it burbling around our neighbourhood!

Sorry for the delay... it's Live now :-D

Watch HERE

Added by: da bomb

Tags: Scammell Explorer,Recovery,Scotland,Diesel

Date: 2008-04-18

Thanks for that Adam.:)

This was the first session out playing with it, in a handy field behind the house. It was very soon after I had it delivered, before I had dumped the spare wheel off the top or found glass for the headlamps.

• 1 month later...

Time for an update.

I havent done much cosmeticly to the Explorer, apart from wash it down with a steam cleaner, so nothing new to look at. I have been doing more important things on and off the vehicle. One major fault which is now sorted was that the servo for the rear brakes was seized. After looking at diagrams in the workshop books I decided that the most likely place it for it to be stuck was in the end plate, so rather than taking the whole thing off I removed the end with the servo in place. As I had guessed the problem was where piston runs through the end, I managed to free it off by leaving it boiling in an old saucepan on the stove for a while then smacking it about with a rawhide hammer. With it re-fitted I now have much more respectable brakes.

Croc, it's also worth having a look in the steering ram and lubricate it as mine was completely dry and the seal rolled back and forth and bent the retainer back, again you can just drop it down and take the front end off to do this. KUTGW.

The "off the vehicle" job has been the registration process, which has been reasonably straightforward.

I contacted the REME Museum with the chassis and contract number, and they let me know that the service registration number was 01 BD 98, and the deliverys for the contract ran from June to November 1951. I managed to clean up the date plate on the side of the winch, revealing the date 2.10.51. I have been told this plate was the date the vehicle was finished, but can't be certain.

The information I had matched the records of the Scammell Register, and Chris Jones (Scammell Register DVLA Officer) provided me with a letter confirming the year of manufacture as 1951.

The next thing to do was sort insurance out. Footman James quoted £112 for the Explorer, I already had my Gipsys insured though FJ and the renewal was due at £195 for three of them. I had a letter through the door from a company called Peter D. James, it turns out the director was involved with setting up Footman James but sold out to retire a couple of years ago, and has now started a new company. I got a quote from them for three Gipsys and the Explorer, unlimited miles, for £190. I have never had a problem with Footman James, over many years, but they couldn't beat this price. So for a saving of £117 I am giving the new outfit a go.

Armed with all the information I went through to the local DVLA Office in Aberdeen and the Explorer now has a Tax Disk and a new number, 239 XUE, which arrived last week in time for the Explorers first show at weekend. To complete the process a registration document dropped through the door this morning.:)

Croc, it's also worth having a look in the steering ram and lubricate it as mine was completely dry and the seal rolled back and forth and bent the retainer back, again you can just drop it down and take the front end off to do this. KUTGW.

It seems to be OK on mine, it is working fine and I have squirted some oil into it, but I will have a look. Thanks.:)

With new number plates made up, and a tax disk in the window the Explorer (Along with Adam Elsdon in his Pig) made its first show appearance at BA Stores vintage working weekend. This is a fairly new show, now in it's fifth year and quite entertaining as you can move about. It is about 30 miles away on quiet roads, so an easy first outing (although we did have a run to the village for fish and chips on the Thursday night before the show), I was pleased with the Explorers economy, using about a jerry can of diesel for the 30 mile drive.

There is a large area of topsoil at the bottom of the field for Plant demos and driving about on, this was enough to get the sticky walking beam to start moving, but it is still not completly free. The Cat Traxcavator in the picture is not a runner but was good for putting a bit of weight on the Explorers winch.

Also at the show was Peter Thomson, who also has an Explorer, with his Centurian ARV which makes a meadows look economical!

img0986na0.jpg

img0988td2.jpg

img0989lp8.jpg

Sounds like you had a good weekend and good news on the walking beams, thanks for the pics croc, all good stuff!
Yeah 'nice to see you are having fun in the old girl ! Shame you are so far away ! Did you try towing the Cent like Bernard ? Keep her rolling mate ! Andy F!

• 2 weeks later...

We had another show last weekend, the "Kids ride on day" at Grampian Transport Museum in Alford http://www.gtm.org.uk/ this is quite a fun event where various machines are available for rides on the museums circuit. The Explorer behaved really well and got lots of interest. Although billed as a kids event I have a feeling lots of dads were just using it as an excuse...:-D

There are quite a few of us with "interesting" motors in Aberdeenshire so we have been talking about trying to organise a regular meet. The first of these was last night in Insch, It didn't quite go to plan as the first choice pub had had a flooding problem the day before and certain vehicles are not running worth a sh*t at the moment. So, although we had a good turnout of owners we only had two motors, my Explorer and Stuart Lees' desert scheme Hotchkiss.

We have decided to try and have a meet on the second Thursday of the Month and hopefully get more vehicles out. The next one is planned for the 12th of June.

pubrun1nl6.jpg

img0998ch0.jpg

img0993mf6.jpg

Whilst chatting we realised that if all Stuarts jerry cans were full there still wouldn't be enough to fill the Explorer :shocked:

As a passenger in the Explorer (damn Pig had ignition lead probs) i found that because of the height of the thing and its straight out the bonnet exhaust system, its a great way to see Scottish wildlife fleeing from the hedgerows!, deer, hare, grouse, badgers, foxes the lot!:-D

• 2 weeks later...