Crocs' Explorer Blog

croc

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Time for an update...

Hi Ian, I don't think I will get the Scammell down to Dorset, it's a bl**dy long way and there is the Milly to drive down there already.

First up some more pictures from the wedding.

honest, it was a wedding not a rally...

0903steveandjenswedding.jpg

hpim1828.jpg

we did get some with us in....

img1392f.jpg

hpim1812.jpg

093stevejensweddingday4.jpg

093stevejensweddingday4f.jpg

Best man (Adam Elsdon) carves the boar

0903steveandjenswedding.jpg

Bride and Groom cut the cake...

hpim1835.jpg

who says you can't have boilersuits at a wedding:-D

The week before the wedding the front head gasket let go, I managed to limp it down to the church and back but it was in need of changing. It was an absolute b*s*a*d to get off, I think it had been blowing internaly for a while, as one of the studs was carboned up. The guy I bought it from told me not to overfill the water as it would blow out when it got hot, I never had much of a problem with water loss but I suspect this was related.

I got it back together in time for the kids "ride-on" day at the start of May and it is behaving much better with the head done.

In the process of doing the head and the inevitable climbing on and of the wing some writing started to reveal itself, with a bit of extra cleaning up we found this...

wingdetail.jpg

scammel 10 ton tractor is clear enough but what is the rest?

Edited by croc

Last weekend was the show at BA Stores, it peed down all day on Saturday but the sun came out and we had a much better day on Sunday. I did manage to get the Explorer stuck in the off road area as it was still pretty soft from all the rain, with Peter Thompsons' Martian as an anchor I winched myself out no bother. (I didn't get any pictures but I noticed a few people taking them, hopefully someone will post some)

Doug Matheson had been persuaded to take a Ferret for the weekend but it developed a running fault on the way and kept cutting out, so it ended up hanging on the hook to get there and back.

convoy home.

Scammell and Ferret, Adams' Pig and trailer, Stuart Lees' Dodge and trailer.

img1444.jpg

Ferret on the hook.

img1446x.jpg

img1448j.jpg

Many congratulations on your marriage Croc. I've not seen a finer set of wedding photos! Needle scalers are addictive aren't they? Hope to bump in to you at GDSF. That sounds like a looooooooooong trip to me. all the best mate. Daz

• 3 weeks later...

The last thing I did with the Scammell was shunt some stuff about as part of a deal that got my new toy home. CVRTs are a right bugger to move without their tracks.

img1478n.jpg

The new Bedford came the last few miles hanging on the Scammell. I suppose a Bedford Blog is now in order, that will give me two threads that I don't update as often as I should...:coffee:

img1480t.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just found some video from the Castle Fraser rally this year, ended up winching again. Nothing else had managed to move the lorry, including Davids' CX22. The Explorer was sliding for a start so I had to drop the front axle over the edge of the track. I must get a set of scotches....

Good job.

As you say in the vid not helped by the lorry driver driving and varying tension on the rope.

Looks like the bystander nearly gets a face full of rope as well when the tension goes back on.

Explorer sounds well, with minimal silencing I suspect.

• 4 months later...
Good shots taken there Croc -where was this?

Hi Karen, long time no see...

This is a site at Gartly, just south of Huntly that a group of us have set up for playing on. There is quite a good spead of stuff to play on and a range from very wet to dry. (I don't want to put the Scammell through 4 feet of muddy water, as I don't want to have to clean all the hubs out afterwards.) It is only a temporary arrangement as the landowner has done a deal with the forestry for planting the site with trees, probably late spring next year. If anyone up here wants to go for a play give me a shout and it can be arranged.