Crocs' Explorer Blog

croc

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had our second pub run last week, Explorer, Albion, and Hotchkiss in attendance. Adams' Pig was still not running so he rode shotgun in the Explorer again. It rained quite hard on the way back and comments were made regarding how weatherproof the cab of the Explorer was. The latest job has been to make a new headboard...

img1000vm6.jpg

Hey Croc,

Great to see you getting out and enjoying your explorer, your blog gives me great re-assurance that there are other nutters out there running around in 'Rolling Restoration' vehicles!

Can't wait to get mine to a stage when I can take it out and scare some oncoming traffic! :nono:

Keep up the good work!

Dunc

Thanks Madrat, I was out in it this evening, just 'cos I could. I got one of the original wiper motors working and fitted today so visibility should be better in the rain...

I am taking it over to the steam rally at Castle Fraser at the weekend which is about 25 miles away so it will get another good run then.

Good to see your Pioneer progressing, is the engine back together yet?

I got one head back on last night, its been a crazy week so far so not had as much free time as I thought I'd have!

How good is the Castle Fraser show? We might come up north at the weekend to admire the explorer in person?! Let me know which day you were thinking of going....

It is one of the best shows up here. I will be there Saturday and Sunday with the Explorer, David Lees will also be there with his Albion CX22. Lots of Steam stuff including a 1914 Foden 5 ton steam wagon that saw service in the Great War, and a good selection of cars, commercials and tractors.

The weekend went quite well, Saturday was great weather and I had a good drive over to the rally, apart from a fanbelt snapping and forcing me into getting the new belts it should have had ages ago.

On Saturday night it started raining and continued most of the day on Sunday. The good news was that Kevin Royan brought his Explorer for the day and Mr and Mrs Madrat made the trip up from Ayrshire.

img1009kb1.jpg

img1014nd7.jpg

img1008pw6.jpg

Wet rally fields equal mud and stuck lorrys. I managed to find a Navy Recruiting unit in need of help from an ex army Explorer, so I had an excuse to play with the winch.

There is some video to follow in due course.

pict0076ao2.jpg

pict0078az6.jpg

pict0081mh2.jpg

img1019jl8.jpg

a good way to getting a portion of those booking fees back , and do a favor at the same time . What were you anchored to on the cab I d have thought the towing would have been to a point much lower down ?

There are no booking fees for that rally, the way it should be, I got some navy mugs out of them though. The Explorer wasn't anchored to anything, just sitting there winching with the handbrake on.

It was a great (If Wet) day out, that winch is very impressive! I shall have to give the one on the pioneer a try.

It was great to get a go of the explorer, the power steering and better clutch make a HUGE difference to the driving experience! :shocked:

Perhaps I should re-open negotiations for the 680 powered one that I looked at some time ago? :cool2: Don't tell Mrs Madrat please....:nono:

a good way to getting a portion of those booking fees back , and do a favor at the same time . What were you anchored to on the cab I d have thought the towing would have been to a point much lower down ?

The DAFT 85 has a removeable towing eye that fits into a socket on the end of the chassis.

Sorry Degsy, didn't see your post!

Edited by radiomike7

• 2 weeks later...

Following the Austin Gipsy Club Rally at Gaydon last weekend I stopped in at the Bloxham Rally to pick up a speedo cable from Chris Acock, lots of Scammells there but the battery was out on my camera so not many photos.

img1050pd3.jpg

The speedo cable is now fitted and working, the Explorer seems to behave best at about 25mph.

The last outing was the pub run on Thursday night, it was a very wet evening but we had the Explorer, Adams Pig, David Lees' Albion and Joe in his Unimog (top marks to Joe for going out in the rain without a roof)

img1076lt7.jpg

img1074dt3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...