Scammell Explorer Gallery

Mmm- Seems like we've got partially conflicting info Rob. I don't know how different 90 and 140 are. Hopefully someone will shed some light. Hope the rebuild's coming along nicely. Daz

90 is thick 140 is really thick!!!;)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Andy mate! Just need to find the modern equivalents to these so I'll get in touch with Morris oils and see if they can shed some light. Looking at this the whole rear axle (ie diff and walking beams) uses the same OC600 throughout whilst the front axle shares the same as the gearboxes. Great help Ta. :yay:

Hi Daz , if you have any luck with Morris could you let us know costs of equivalents please ! Think I may need to start saving ! :-D

Pretty sure the equivilents are straight 140 and straight 90 think i paid abouit £40odd for each 25 liters drum. Seems we have gone full circul.(for some reason i can't seem to spell circle any more!):n00b:

thats what i put in mine for the past ten years:-D

Thanks for the info Croc and Thor. Just didn;'t want to fill the old beast up with the wrong stuff and ruin something before I even get him back on the road! Got some winching of trees to do before long. Will take pics of course!

Andy-I'll get on to Morrisssssss's this week and post my findings. :cool2: Daz

I have been in touch with Morris oils and Forest lubricants. Forest are phoning me back with prices tomorrow as they want to cross reference the OMD classification first. This is how is stands at the moment:

OC600 Beware! Both companies say that SAE 140 is too thin an equivalent for this. I'm sure some of you have had no problems using this though. I'm only passing on their advice.

I don't know the ins and outs but apparently OC 600 has a viscosity of 400+ and SAE 140 only manages around 300. Morris makes "Compound T Steam cylinder oil" and Forest make "C 600" which is similar stuff. Forest says their C600 has been used successfully in rear axles etc of old military vehicles and is around twice as heavy as SAE140. This sounds like it is a closer match to the original and in any event the man from Forest says a steam cylinder oil would be preferable to use than an SAE 140. You can also use this in Torpedoes :captain: if you wish, although I've yet to fit this accessory to the Explorer!!!

OMD330 Morris calls this "AG90" and Forest are checking before giving advice. Both say the SAE 90 (gear use) or SAE 50 (Engine) is a much closer match to OMD330 than SAE 140 is to OC600.

I will post Forest lubricants prices when I get them, but here is the quote from Morris's of Shrewsbury including VAT and delivery when purchased through their "Steamers' Account". Current at 20/04/09.

OC600/Compound T steam cylinder oil

5 litres = £25.30

4x 5l = £71.07

25l = £85.39

OMD330/AG90

5l = £24.38

4x 5l = £69.23

25l = £84.53

Hopefully more news tomorrow and I'll post their web address and phone nos. if anyone needs to get in touch.

I've just worked out that to do an all over oil change I'll need 40l of OC600 and 12l of OMD330, so i'm just off to lay down in a darkened room..:sweat::sweat::sweat:Perhaps a check and top up will be fine for now.

we get are oil from a local fuel firm. if i remember right its northovers fuels dont know if you have them your way:cool2:

dorset thor:-D

Cheers for that info Thor. I'll have a look to see what I can get locally. I assume you're getting the SAE 90 and 140 from them and not the old fashioned stuff? Ta. Daz :)

OC600 Beware! Both companies say that SAE 140 is too thin an equivalent for this. I'm sure some of you have had no problems using this though. I'm only passing on their advice.

I don't know the ins and outs but apparently OC 600 has a viscosity of 400+ and SAE 140 only manages around 300. Morris makes "Compound T Steam cylinder oil" and Forest make "C 600" which is similar stuff. Forest says their C600 has been used successfully in rear axles etc of old military vehicles and is around twice as heavy as SAE140.

Daz,

Having been using these oils in military use for many years, and after in preservation use, I have the Defence technical spec. and can assure you that OC600 or as it was called earlier, C600...is a SAE140 gear oil. I do not know where Morris gets the viscocity 400+ from. Here are the details;

OC600 has a viscocity at 100 degs C of 27-32 Centistokes

The SAE Viscocity Classifications show 140 gear oil at 100 degs C with a Min. of 24 and a Max of 41. OC600 falls within that standard.

OMD330 Morris calls this "AG90" and Forest are checking before giving advice. Both say the SAE 90 (gear use) or SAE 50 (Engine) is a much closer match to OMD330 than SAE 140 is to OC600.

OMD330 is a SAE50 engine oil..............Morris AG90 is a straight 90 gear oil, they also produce a SAE50 engine oil for vintage vehicles. Just like to make it clear in case any one thought the designation OMD330 was a gear oil........it is not.

Daz,

Having been using these oils in military use for many years, and after in preservation use, I have the Defence technical spec. and can assure you that OC600 or as it was called earlier, C600...is a SAE140 gear oil. I do not know where Morris gets the viscocity 400+ from. Here are the details;

OC600 has a viscocity at 100 degs C of 27-32 Centistokes

The SAE Viscocity Classifications show 140 gear oil at 100 degs C with a Min. of 24 and a Max of 41. OC600 falls within that standard.

OMD330 is a SAE50 engine oil..............Morris AG90 is a straight 90 gear oil, they also produce a SAE50 engine oil for vintage vehicles. Just like to make it clear in case any one thought the designation OMD330 was a gear oil........it is not.

Thanks Richard, this is a real help having hard facts and figures to work with for a layman like me! So SAE 140 gear oil IS safe to use in place of OC600 and by the look of it you are saying that Morris's AG90 or any SAE90 is safe to use in place of OMD330 in the front axle and gearboxes of the Explorer. Sorry if I seem a bit thick, but I obviously want to get the right stuff! :tup:: Daz.

Thanks Richard, this is a real help having hard facts and figures to work with for a layman like me! So SAE 140 gear oil IS safe to use in place of OC600 and by the look of it you are saying that Morris's AG90 or any SAE90 is safe to use in place of OMD330 in the front axle and gearboxes of the Explorer. Sorry if I seem a bit thick, but I obviously want to get the right stuff! :tup:: Daz.

Hi Daz,

Got it in one ! OC600 is equvalent to SAE140. OMD330 is equivalent to SAE50 detergent engine oil, the army used it in gearboxes, as viscocity was close to a straight SAE90 (not hypoid or EP) oil, which they did not have in their inventory.

I have just found a company website in Southampton and they have these oils at half the price, they list a Classic 50 engine oil and straight SAE90 and 140 gear oils, check it out;

www.cplubricants.co.uk/classic.htm

I have just found a company website in Southampton and they have these oils at half the price, they list a Classic 50 engine oil and straight SAE90 and 140 gear oils, check it out;

www.cplubricants.co.uk/classic.htm

Would you adam and eve it! I've just been looking at the same site! £34 -£36 ish for 25 litres plus Vat and delivery. sounds good to me. Thanks for your help Richard. :-D

Gritineye..........more like Eagleeye :-D

Not really Richard, I always look to see if I can find a date on websites like that, saves wasting time, some info still on the web is 10yrs or more old!

right click> view page info.............using Firefox that is.

Edited by gritineye

What's this doing here? .................................................slurp...........covet....envy........slurp :coffee: RadiomMike will know

That's the one, with 'Explorer' clearly visible on the bonnet side, not a Contractor Explorer but a latter day Explorer. There were four from a cancelled export order that were fitted with fifth wheels and worked on a landfill site in the UK hauling the roadgoing bulkers to the tipping area.

That's the one, with 'Explorer' clearly visible on the bonnet side, not a Contractor Explorer but a latter day Explorer. There were four from a cancelled export order that were fitted with fifth wheels and worked on a landfill site in the UK hauling the roadgoing bulkers to the tipping area.

Is this the same one that appeared at the Scammell Owners club rally at Rodger Austins yard in chassis cab form early 1990s?

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe this was an army prototype which went from service to civilian recovery use with this company.

I have a magazine somewhere with an article telling how it was used to recover a dredger that was sinking due to the owners not wanting to sacrifice the suction hose, while they were waiting for 1/2 a mile of rope to arrive and got rigged up, it sank over night as predicted but it was pulled off the bottom by this Scammell and another wrecker, can't remember what though.

I have a magazine somewhere with an article telling how it was used to recover a dredger .............but it was pulled off the bottom by this Scammell and another wrecker, can't remember what though.

RAF Constructor? I remember the article too. Great stuff :)