Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hhi chaps.. I don't suppose anyone has knocking about in the back of the garage a spare hub puller and the rather large spanner? Just wondering thats all:) All my hubs were a bit wet after being overfilled but one is very wet after freeing off the beam. Suppose the oil was running from one end to the other

the hook is in two halves, the back unscrews and slides off the cable from the drum end of the rope. The new rope came as a genuine unissued spare so had the steel ferrule that is trapped between the hook and the nut on reassembly was already fitted. It appears that it is brazed onto the end of the cable.

it looking good not much left two do then:-D

rear mudguards, doors, windows, front bulkhead, rear hub oilseals, brake linings, rewire or part rewire, new tyres, paint chassis, wheels, doors etc, remake copper pipes that were hacked to fit a cab heater, take out cab heater, make good holes, weld fuel tank, remake fuel tank guard, rebuild overall track locker, upholster seats, battery clamps, should be done by Friday Matt!

rear mudguards, doors, windows, front bulkhead, rear hub oilseals, brake linings, rewire or part rewire, new tyres, paint chassis, wheels, doors etc, remake copper pipes that were hacked to fit a cab heater, take out cab heater, make good holes, weld fuel tank, remake fuel tank guard, rebuild overall track locker, upholster seats, battery clamps, should be done by Friday Matt!

which friday that then:-D

Sadly I missed out on the heavy vehicle trials as the Explorer I was going to use has some transmission "noises", however socoolpaul used mine, and on the drag race did a top handbrake turn at the end following a request (?) from Bernard. Sadly it wasn't captured in its full glory on a clip on Youtube. "War and Peace 2009 308". Next year maybe?

Jules

coolpaul used mine, and on the drag race did a top handbrake turn at the end following a request (?) from Bernard. Sadly it wasn't captured in its full glory on a clip on Youtube. "War and Peace 2009 308". Next year maybe?

Jules

This is now traditional, my power drifting wasn't captured last year either

andiscammell034.jpg

We are still without History for this Explorer, but whilst at Pickering Traction Engine rally we met a guy who bought an Explorer out of RAF Benbecula.

He says his one has an identical extra pulley on the jib. He told us his Explorer was RAF and had been used at Benbecula for recovering missiles from the test ranges, and that this pulley was a mod carried out to help with that operation.

I had always assumed that the extra pulley was put there by a recovery operator in Civvy ownership, but he maintains that his is identical and that is as he got it from Benbecula.

He says that a similar modified Explorer was with the RAF at RAF Boulmer.

There is a certain creditability to all this because all the roadwheels on Andi's Explorer have some RAF Blue grey on them, suggesting it was reshod at an RAF facility at some time.

RAF Benbecula is the Airfield associated with the "South Uist Missile range" an experimental facility, on an island just south of Benbecula, and accessible by road from there.

Can anyone throw any more light on this suggestion, or suggest why an Explorer may have been at RAF Boulmer, which as far as I know is/ was a Radar Station at the time the Explorer was likely to be in service, and to my knowledge, there is not, nor was there a missile range at or near Boulmer?

Edited by antarmike

Mike, if the crane is used for lifting in the stowed position the rope runs over the usual fixed guide and bends it. Fitting the extra pulley would avoid this but I suspect the vehicle would have to be used without the spare wheel carrier.

If it was ex RAF I would have expected to see a vacuum tank just inboard of the O/S rear wheels, but this may have been removed. Has it got a vacuum guage in the cab?

Edited by radiomike7

Mike, if the crane is used for lifting in the stowed position the rope runs over the usual fixed guide and bends it. Fitting the extra pulley would avoid this but I suspect the vehicle would have to be used without the spare wheel carrier.

If it was ex RAF I would have expected to see a vacuum tank just inboard of the O/S rear wheels, but this may have been removed. Has it got a vacuum guage in the cab?

It was Army originally, we are fairly sure of its 01 BD 89 number, it was from an Army contract, and chassis and winch numbers runs consecutively with Army Explorers either side of this one. But the question is could it have transferred to the RAF, and remained green. Only the wheels have Blue /Grey suggesting that wheels and tyres were swapped at an RAF unit somewhere.

Yes the pulley has to be added so that the hoist can lift with the jib stowed, but why. I had assumed that it was a civvy convertion to allow a greater front end lift capacity as HGV's got heavier.

The only other possible thought I had is that it carried something into a building through a low door, and that with the jib in the correct inner lift position, it was too high. Or it had to work, with something on the hook, under a low bridge, or some similar scenario.

Edited by antarmike

The guy who came up with the Benbecula story, also said his Explorer was green, but it came with RAF Blue Grey wheels. Does anyone know him, a David Barlow in the Fife area?? Or has anyone a photo of his Explorer that would show just what the pulley is like on his ex RAF Benbecula Explorer??

If Andi's Scammell was recovering missiles from the Uist Coastal range it might explain why her air filters were absolutely packed full of sand!

Edited by antarmike