Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WSK 485. Pictured at a rally mid to late 80's. Looking on the index, there is already a picture of this truck on here, not that I can find it!

JSU 265 is already on here too, now in sand colour. :)

nggshow.php.jpg

nggshow1.php.jpg

Edited by Austin

Last night I had a phone call from the new owner of the ex Leanne Booth (diesel daughter) Explorer. ( the one on Ebay a few months ago) Apparently it was sold to finance Leannes HGV2. Congratulations to Leanne on passing her C test, but sorry that the Scammell had to go to pay for it.

New owner is a showmans engine owner (Richard Daly) of Reading who has bought it to tow his showmans living van. He has booked it into GDSF Diesel Heavy haulage, So it is still on the circuit.

Edited by antarmike

I thought the scammells rock hard suspension would shake the caravan to bits.thats why i was going to use a tent (and i only have a rigid licence at the mo)

This will open up a can of worms I'm sure, but I think I'm right in saying that you can tow a living wagon on yor car licence as long as it only has personal effects in it and not a load

Just watched this and dreamed of what it will be like to get Daisy out on the road once more ! Now the decorating is completed its back to the paintng after War and Peace ! YIPPEE ! :-D

At least you'll be well practiced with a paintbrush now for Daisy's DBG overcoat! :-D

This will open up a can of worms I'm sure, but I think I'm right in saying that you can tow a living wagon on yor car licence as long as it only has personal effects in it and not a load

Correct, although to be pedantic a living van is built to carry goods (like in the belly box) and/or personal effects, but no goods allowed for historic tax exempt. Caravan? dunno, putting the lid back on my can now.........

Edited by gritineye

As long as the living van pre 1960 i was led to believe it would be ok

however i was told that to tow a living van was ok

but

i was also told that to tow a normal caravan behind the scammell you would need a class 1 but then i supose its all in the laws eyes at the time

heh?

Why does everyone rave about the Explorer. They are very badly designed. you can't get at anything. Just done an oil change and you cant take the lids of the Filter housings because the pipe for one of the Carburettor Hot spots runs right accross the top of the housing. When you take out the two sump plugs they are positioned so as to

a) empty oil all over the front diff, from whence it runs in all directions making it impossible to catch

b) empty oil all over the front propshaft, and axle articulation A Frame.From whence it runs in all directions etc....

Next you are told to remove the oil pipes from the bottom of the filter housings,

again the oil goes all over the front axle A frame. from whence it runs in all directions....

Undo the pipes under the radiator to drain the oil cooler, where does the oil go, all over you, but when disturbing one of these pipes (weakened through rust) the pipe developed a hole. How do you get the pipe out, Take off the Radiator guard, rad surround etc, or just devise a quick fix bodge!

Having owned AEC's land-rovers, a Thornycroft and others I have never come across a vehicle where servicing has been so badly thought about, or one that is so badly concieved when it comes to maintenance operations.

Scammells 5 out of 10....

When you take out the two sump plugs they are positioned so as to

a) empty oil all over the front diff, from whence it runs in all directions making it impossible to catch

b) empty oil all over the front propshaft, and axle articulation A Frame.From whence it runs in all directions etc....

Next you are told to remove the oil pipes from the bottom of the filter housings,

again the oil goes all over the front axle A frame. from whence it runs in all directions....

:rofl::rofl: And you still have to wonder why they rust so well!

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

I find a 4" piece by however long you need it of plastic guttering to a bucket cures all the mess,most modern vehicles are just as bad,sump plates etc which sometimes reinforce the sub frames need to be removed just to get to the plug.this saves us a lot of time and work.simples.

I find a 4" piece by however long you need it of plastic guttering to a bucket cures all the mess,most modern vehicles are just as bad,sump plates etc which sometimes reinforce the sub frames need to be removed just to get to the plug.this saves us a lot of time and work.simples.

Gap between the rear sump plud and top of the axxle A frame is about 1 1/2" to 2". You can't get a gutter in there. And this is where most of the oil comes out.

Oh I forgot, you are also supposed to turn the engine over six times to clear the oil from the oil pump. This I did, but no more oil came out so that was a waste of time....

The manual has a nice illusrtaion of pulling out the oil filter from the housing but the photo is taken of a filter housing removed from the chassis and on the bench. When it is in the vehicle you can only take the rear housing cap off if you wind out all the studs exept one that has to come out in the cap as you lift it away. (the offending item is the exhaust hot spot pipe, totaaly preventing you from doing itr as the manual suggests.

Revised rating in light of this Scammell 4 out of 10. (for there engineering)

Edited by antarmike

Have you got propper bleed screws in the top of your oil filters or are they just brass plugs like mine? If they are plugs you have to remove them compleatly to bleed the air out of the oil filters....You can't do it on your own you need someone to shut it off when the air has bubbled out, no chance of getting the plug back in with it running!!! ( More oil everywhere all over your boots!!) If the oil pressure takes ages to come up after it's stood for a couple of days there is stil air in the system (or the engine id sha**ed) I think i pumped about a gallon over the floor bleeding mine (sorry...into an enviromental spill controll kit...Definitly not all over the floor... no not the floor):whistle:

Yes, just got a blanking plug. one let some air out the other refused to let anything out just by slackening it do I took it out completely. Andi killed the engine as quick as she could, but yes oil on the windscreen, oil on the cab roof, Rethinking Scammell 3 out of ten.

You would have thought a side mounted drain plug wouldn't have been too hard to make wouldn't you? Had 3 engines in mine can't remember ever having much trouble bleeding the filters though.

Back to the gallery stuff, John Comber at Beltring last week, gave it a good workout up a few steep hills, got it proper hot burnt off the oily bits and cleared out the exhaust as well.

DSCF7347.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

They remind me of a load of dung beatles bumbling around,that Mili exhaust would give me the hump blowing on the floor makes its own dust cloud where ever it goes.