Winter in Europe.

Rick W

A winter 1945 picture of a late model Dodge WC 51/52.

(Posted elsewhere on the forum)

As always,

Goran N

Interesting about the Dodge it has doors on it, I thought these were a modern addition ?? is it a genuine 1945 pic? do you have any more like it of the doors.

The picture is a genuine 1945 WW2 picture. This is the only clear picture of a Dodge with doors that I've found. It's not that strange with the GI's making up doors for their vehicles. I've seen all sorts of ingenious devices put on Jeep's, Dodge's, GMC's and others. The rear bustle rack on Jeeps is one example.

I've been told that rear echelon mechanics used 105 mm brass shell casings as mufflers, on Dodge's, when originals couldn't be found. Still need confirmation on this to actually put a 105 mm muffler on my own Dodge WC51.

As always,

Goran N

• 2 months later...
I read somewhere that the Yanks never drove with the canvas up, you have to wonder... :schocked:

Correct. It was something that caught out Otto Skorzeny's Panzerbrigade 150 fifth columnists.

Jeep with the canvas up? Suspicious. Americans NEVER had the canvas up.

Jeep with more than three occupants? Suspicious. Got more than three people to carry? Take two Jeeps.

Jeep with only one occupant who dares to talk? Suspicious. Skorzeny's Commandos were not all as multilingual as he would have liked, so he had to share out the good English speakers quite thinly.

Jeep whose occupant speaks with a less-than-typical American accent? Suspicious. But it was a bitch if the occupant was from for example Louisiana with a Cajun accent and said St Louis as St Lewis.

(This one was partly the reason Paras used the battlecry "Whoa Mohammed" which was difficult for any German to say without sounding like a German. According to http://www.army.mod.uk/para/history/arnhem.htm , it was coined by 2 Para in North Africa, when an Arab used the term to slow his donkey.)

• 6 years later...

Out of interest how is 'Whoa' in Whoa Mohammed pronounced - is it 'Who argh' or 'Woe-a'?

The fist option sounds like 'oh argh Mrs', so I guess its the second option if they were saying 'woe' like a cowboy stopping his horse (or donkey).

Edited by LarryH57