BATUS Ferrets

ferrettkitt

Hi Clive, Mark & Richard

Thanks for the pictures Clive it's appreciated

What was BATUS?? and why paint MV's this colour.

Excuse my ignorance

I own three Ferrets (two still under restoration) one of them will be painted in the colours of the Danish Brigade group attached to BAOR while they were serving with the UN in Cyprus.

width=428 height=319http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/ferret%2002%20ca%2035.jpg[/img]

The other I’d like to paint in BATUS colours, I've not seen a Ferret painted in those colours in the UK before now...... not sure if that’s good or bad thing.

Best regards,

Andy

The other I’d like to paint in BATUS colours, I've not seen a Ferret painted in those colours in the UK before now...... not sure if that’s good or bad thing.

Andy,

If you do it in BATUS colours, be prepared for ill informed comments, like when are going to finish painting it.

A long while ago, a friend had one of the first Pink Panther Land Rovers in preservation and I was standing by it at a show, when a couple came up and said to each other "why did'nt he finish painting it, its still in primer" ! :?

Richard

If you've now decided on a yellow turret.......................................

width=320 height=219http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/fv1620/BATUSFerret3.jpg[/img]

Unusual is difficult. My first show with my prototype Shorland APV that was grey was dismissed because it was grey. My first show with my RUC pig was ignored/ridiculed because it was grey (depicting 1962-3 when they were grey). Yes I know it might have been me that was being ignored/ridiculed, but put it this way, it was worse with a vehicle in a funny colour!

Should be easy to correct misconceptions with a good information display in front of the vehicle .If they can't read !!!! It's up to the owner to become the Historian and teach.

That's me done for with the reading and writing bit

Red turret and bins is the way I'll proably go, a recentish article in Classic Military had the warriors painted all in red and a potted history of BATUS. I'll have to dig it out. That in itself should have the majority of the information on BATUS.

Also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Army_Training_Unit_Suffield

http://www.army.mod.uk/aroundtheworld/can/index.htm

The same experiences I have, when I have finished friends Jeep. In Czech averybody know the US jeeps, but what the "british" Czechoslovakian. When we show first time his jeep, it was big problem. ;-) Everybody sad why white nuts on wheals and the ends of bumper, ...

Hi Richard

Always a joker around amazing how many of these jokers do bu***r all! I'm sure I'll be polite and inform them where the nearest cliff is .....---¬

:died:

Andy

• 2 years later...

I have a stormer in Batus colours . I was going to change it to the usual but every one that sees it says its the best colour . so I may keep it Batus but give it a fresh coat as there are a few bad spots . not sure though what is the correct colours my guess is sand and olive drab . or is it nato green ??

I have a stormer in Batus colours . I was going to change it to the usual but every one that sees it says its the best colour . so I may keep it Batus but give it a fresh coat as there are a few bad spots . not sure though what is the correct colours my guess is sand and olive drab . or is it nato green ??

NATO green and light stone are the colours you need.