Infra red lights

simon in a 432

Question

7 answers to this question

Simon,

I had some a few months back, advertised them on here but no interest. They're all sold now. They do turn up from time to time. You can get the night vision goggles, but the lenses on the 432 were designed to be used with the sight in the auction.

Chris

Are these easy to get hold of (can't see another one on ebay) and can you get anything more portable for individual/ infantry use?

ISTR on CVR(T) there was a lever on the side of a sight to rotate when the active IR headlights were switched on to lower an IR filter into the eyepiece.

The active IR lights were on their way out when I first served on CVR(T) in 1976, because by then we were using first generation passive IR night sights mounted on infantry weapons (and a gihuge one mounted coaxially on CVR(T) on the gunner's side of the main armament). And because the Commies were also using active IR, which meant that lighting up our own active IR was like using white light if they were looking back at us using their IR filters.

These days everything is passive IR (for the reason I just stated).

When I was on the Chieftain...we had to wear cubs! these were a device that straped on the head and you had like a little pair of byno's stuck on yer head! :-D

When you put the IR lights on, you could see the beam of light, only trouble was, the natural urge to look left and right as normal....But... it all went dark!!! Not much fun on the underwear when you are driving 54 tons near the edge of a quarry!!! :schocked:

Great sence of humour those boffins had in the old days! ;-)

Fred :banana: